Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lead Free 22lr for target shooting?

3 posters

Go down

Lead Free 22lr for target shooting? Empty Lead Free 22lr for target shooting?

Post by pgg 3/1/2023, 8:08 pm

Just curious. I would guess that this stuff would perform relatively poorly. Most of it seems to be manufactured for hunting in areas where lead-free bullets are required.

Since non-lead bullets are light and longer for their weight, presumably their higher velocity and optimal barrel twist would not be good fits for the kind of match guns we shoot.

I've loaded a bunch of frangible bullets for pistols and rifles, mainly for safe banging of steel at close ranges. Those non-lead sintered bullets are never as accurate as good jacketed lead bullets, but it hardly matters for hitting relatively giant steel targets.

pgg

Back to top Go down

Lead Free 22lr for target shooting? Empty Re: Lead Free 22lr for target shooting?

Post by RADJAG 3/1/2023, 8:16 pm

A couple of years ago in a Sportsman's Warehouse they had some lead free in xmas packaging on sale cheap in the spring, green and red bullets - looked cute - I bought a couple of tubs, I forget the brand.

It was hopeless. I gave it away to someone for his kids to plink with a rifle at short range.

RADJAG

Back to top Go down

Lead Free 22lr for target shooting? Empty Re: Lead Free 22lr for target shooting?

Post by CrankyThunder 3/2/2023, 5:57 am

I got a couple of boxes of CCI "Green" non lead ammo.   Not sure if I purchased them or they came free with another purchase at a gun store.  

Anyways, tried them out and gave up after a couple of magazines.  too much debris and it was causing the firearm to malfunction.  

Pretty sure I got them with another purchase but I hope I did not purchase them.  Ended up disposing of them in the dud round cylinder at the gun range.
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down