Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lead free primers

+3
DA/SA
fc60
troystaten
7 posters

Go down

Lead free primers Empty Lead free primers

Post by troystaten Sat 9 Mar - 1:33

Are lead free primers available on a retail basis (particularly large pistol). I had my blood lead level tested and it came out to 10.6 in what ever the measurements they use.  I use coated bullets now and was thinking that lead free primers might be a good idea.  

thanks

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Lead free primers Empty Re: Lead free primers

Post by fc60 Sat 9 Mar - 1:42

Greetings,

Before fixing your blood level, I suggest finding out why it is elevated.

Most Lead from shooting is inhaled.

Are you firing at a poorly ventilated indoor range? If so, visit the local Safety Store that sell respirators and purchase a mask.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Sat 9 Mar - 2:04

Thanks Dave, I am shooting at an outdoor range and have improved my hand washing protocol and started taking vitamin C and Zinc (those two supplements are not proven to reduce lead but have been used for that).  I suspect it is airborne lead dust from either lead smoke or debris from reloading and the range.  The doc did not think the blood levels warranted treatment but did suggest better cleaning habits (hand washing etc).

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Sat 9 Mar - 2:28

Greetings,

Ah, more details.

Do you clean brass in a vibrating tumbler with nut shells?

If so, consider wet washing brass with Stainless Pins.

Also, try to think if you have Lead exposure at work.

I cannot recall where I read this; but, I was led to believe that handling Lead is not so bad if you wash your hands in cool water. Hot water opens the pores.

22lr ammo is also a source of Lead. Also, Barium since some manufacturers are adding it to the primer compound. If you shoot a 22 League indoors, this would be a very polluted environment.

Even with ventilation, the big burst of vapors during Rapid Fire takes a moment or two for the vents to carry it forward and away.

Thinking back on my blood tests, I believe 30 is the point where they "rat you out" to the State Health Board. The lab forwarded my results to the State without my knowing and I got a letter of alarm in the mail from the "State".

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Sat 9 Mar - 2:48

I use D Lead hand soap.

https://www.esca-tech.com/ProductDetail.php?category=1000&productnum=4222ES

I get it from an industrial supplier, but Amazon and similar sell it.

Hand wipes are also available.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by hp246 Sat 9 Mar - 3:23

Two years ago,I was at 34.  Last year I got it to 14.  This year I'm down to 12.  Here is what I learned.  1.  Wash hands after shooting with soap and cold water.  2. Remove clothing directly to wash machine. 3.  Wear respirator when shooting indoors.  4.  Wet tumble. 5.  I wear nitrile gloves while handling bullets including while reloading. 6.  I stopped casting. 7.  Wear nitrile gloves when cleaning firearms.  8.  Don't eat or drink at the range.  9.  There are certain things available at the health food store that have a chelation effect.  

My doctor told me the most important thing was washing.

hp246

Back to top Go down

Post by S148 Sat 9 Mar - 4:18

I don't know if lead-free large pistol primers are around, but there are Fiocchi lead-free small pistol primers. Check at Grafs and Powder Valley.

S148

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Sat 9 Mar - 22:07

Thanks everybody, I had forgotten about 22 ammo, I don't shoot indoors and I don't think the lead would be from anywhere else but the range or my reloading.  I use a ultrasonic cleaner to clean the brass so no dust from that.  I got a nice letter from the state health people as Kaiser reports those kinds of things.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by KB2MBC Sat 9 Mar - 23:33

I thought the lead-free primer mixture had a much shorter shelf life...
KB2MBC
KB2MBC

Back to top Go down

Post by jlow Sun 10 Mar - 18:01

The OP sounds like he has good practice in general.  However, keep in mind that even if your current practice is excellent, your work environment could still be significantly contaminated from previous action say either by you (before your change over to a better practice) or a previous owner.

Lead dust does not go away if say your basement is contaminated, and vacuum without the proper filters would only suspend it in the air where you will breath it in.

If you suspect your home is contaminated, get it tested.

jlow

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Sun 10 Mar - 22:14

Thanks jlow, I don't think it is a home issue but your right lead contamination could come from other sources.  I a Realtor and deal with older homes and lead paint is an issue that I see from time to time.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down