Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ruger Mk IV sight advisory

2 posters

Go down

Ruger Mk IV sight advisory Empty Ruger Mk IV sight advisory

Post by Jack H 3/2/2023, 7:04 pm

On an impulse, I just got a MkIV blue bull barrel pistol.  The blue lower is an alloy, making it much lighter that the stainless I had before.  I have a real BoMar sight that I want to install in place of the Ruger sight. 

Here is the issue regarding the MkIV sight.  Be warned if you remove the elevation screw.  There is a tiny ball bearing that does the clicking in the serrations on the underside of the screw.  Its tiny.  Luckily I saw it before it could disappear. 
It didn't take long to figure out how the design worked.  I put a small dab of grease in the ball notch in the countersink area.  Then transferred the tiny ball on a more tiny dab of grease on the end of a small hex wrench.  The grease in the notch grabbed the ball and I pressed it down with a needle sharp scribe.  (One very handy tool)
Holding the sight leaf down, I put the elevation screw in about halfway.  Then let the leaf up to bring the clicking ball to the underside of the screw head.  Success.

So, don't take that screw out unless you like challenges.

I put it back together.  I will switch to the Bomar later.  I did put on a Weigand rail for now.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Ruger Mk IV sight advisory Empty Re: Ruger Mk IV sight advisory

Post by Pinetree 3/2/2023, 8:04 pm

I have a Neodymium magnet about the size of 4 quarters that I place on the bench whenever I'm disassembling something..

It's so strong that small parts usually fly a good distance to stick to it.

Pinetree
Pinetree

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 3/2/2023, 8:28 pm

This ball bearing is tiny.  It's diametre is about the same as the .050 hex wrench. Maybe smaller....
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down