Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rink 7deg grip feedback?

5 posters

Go down

Rink 7deg grip feedback? Empty Rink 7deg grip feedback?

Post by FimRire RongLifle Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:00 am

I was looking for feedback from a cross dominant shooter for the 7 deg Rink grips, compared to using a blinder on dominant eye assuming vision allows for it as a premise. I am wondering what the grips effectively accomplish, reduce amount of head rotation required to shoot cross dominant?
FimRire RongLifle
FimRire RongLifle

Back to top Go down

Rink 7deg grip feedback? Empty Re: Rink 7deg grip feedback?

Post by -TT- Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:03 am

The 7-degree grips add material to the heel area, so when you hold naturally, the muzzle points 7 degrees outward (to the right for a righty, left for a lefty). 7 degrees is just about the angle between your two eyes to the pistol, so you effectively bring it inline with the "other" eye. There are other side effects such as causing your fingers to wrap differently around the front, some people use them for those.

It works quite well for cross-eye dominant shooters because they don't have to change their hold or tilt their head, or worse, attempt to switch eyes. I order my lefty grips with it.

To experiment, you can adjust a regular 0-degree grip with moleskin, which is easy to layer up and/or remove. Or putty it, of course. The Rink "upsweep" grips can get a bit tight if you overdo this however. They automatically give you more room when you order them with 7.
-TT-
-TT-

FimRire RongLifle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by msmith44 Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:19 am

FimRire RongLifle wrote:I was looking for feedback from a cross dominant shooter for the 7 deg Rink grips, compared to using a blinder on dominant eye assuming vision allows for it as a premise. I am wondering what the grips effectively accomplish, reduce amount of head rotation required to shoot cross dominant?
I have Rink on my M41 and Horton’s on my Pardini SP. I prefer the Horton’s probably because they fit better. Cross dominance is a challenge and my experience has been that your position has to open up even with the 7 degree adjustment.

-m-

msmith44

FimRire RongLifle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FimRire RongLifle Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:58 am

-TT- wrote:The 7-degree grips add material to the heel area, so when you hold naturally, the muzzle points 7 degrees outward (to the right for a righty, left for a lefty). 7 degrees is just about the angle between your two eyes to the pistol, so you effectively bring it inline with the "other" eye. There are other side effects such as causing your fingers to wrap differently around the front, some people use them for those.

It works quite well for cross-eye dominant shooters because they don't have to change their hold or tilt their head, or worse, attempt to switch eyes. I order my lefty grips with it.

To experiment, you can adjust a regular 0-degree grip with moleskin, which is easy to layer up and/or remove. Or putty it, of course. The Rink "upsweep" grips can get a bit tight if you overdo this however. They automatically give you more room when you order them with 7.

Right now Ive been attempting to switch eyes as above. I am more comfortable using dominant however (left). I am between the 7deg idea and switching hands (to left handed) as options as I cannot really engage sights reliably without a blinder using non dominant eye, I have managed to shoot both eyes open non dominant with using doubled sight pictures (mental separation concept I guess) but I lack skill to do it 100% reliable with iron sights. I can do it with rifles and optics easily but thats a different beast.

I am actually considering buying a RH 7 deg and a LH 0 deg and trying both. Some of me makes me think I should just switch hands since I'm 'new enough' to train that way.
FimRire RongLifle
FimRire RongLifle

Back to top Go down

Post by FimRire RongLifle Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:37 am

Posting again.  possibly more info is helpful. I shoot shotguns left, archery left, rifles i am basically completely amsbi and shot PRS/NRL from either side. Pistols I typically hold right handed and use left eye on irons and reddots.  eye dominance is significant enough i have issues 'finding' red dots with right eye at times) I am hitting my upper 40s and getting into bullseye. Does it possibly make sense positional to just train left assuming no history of training for the discipline and I intend to use irons?

I see the value in the 7 deg grip now but all things considered since I likely can do it and aiming is automatic and allows both eyes open to shoot left handed instead of a grip rotation? I know answer might be empirically in scores to 'try both'
FimRire RongLifle
FimRire RongLifle

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:23 pm

It's much easier to switch hands than to switch eyes.

I'm similarly ambidextrous, I bat/throw left but I write with my right. Strength on the left, fine motor on the right. And right-eye dominant, so right handed pistol is natural. Fine motor is needed for the trigger.

However I injured my shoulder in 2019 and switched to lefty when recovering. And, I shot within 10% of my average, after a few months. But when my right side improved, I went back to right (and I'm still struggling to get back where I was, but it's the same from either side now).

I'd say, shoot lefty, 0 degrees, and see how it feels. If you love a challenge, get a righty 7 degrees. But, give it time before switching.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:30 pm

Wrist angle is my grip problem with my LP10. The natural range of arm angle and wrist angle do not jive with the AP.   I am either going to have to chop and add on the grip or get the 7deg right grip.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by FimRire RongLifle Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:41 pm

I ordered a 7deg RH for now. I might still get a LH grip sometime later but the motor control on trigger was a good point that caused me some pause.
FimRire RongLifle
FimRire RongLifle

Back to top Go down

Post by impalanut Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:58 pm

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot right eyed with a cover on the left eye. Left eye tries to take over with open sights, so my vision will flip back and forth between the sight picture and black as my left eye tries to take over. No problem with dot sights. When shooting cross eyed, I couldn't get a good grip and good balance due to the open stance needed.
Tried shooting left handed, but can't really get good trigger control.
might try again sometime.

impalanut

Back to top Go down

Post by FimRire RongLifle Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:53 am

got my 7deg RH today. Definitely liking it on hold and dry fire practice so far.
FimRire RongLifle
FimRire RongLifle

Back to top Go down

Post by msmith44 Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:00 am

FimRire RongLifle wrote:
 ... I cannot really engage sights reliably without a blinder using non dominant eye, I have managed to shoot both eyes open non dominant with using doubled sight pictures (mental separation concept I guess) but I lack skill to do it 100% reliable with iron sights. 
I read this as you're seeing two images when you have both eyes open. 

If I am reading correctly then I suggest you have a muscle problem resulting in your eyes being crossed. This is an easily solved physical problem that your eye doctor can solve by prescribing eyeglasses with prisms located in the key lens' areas to that it forces the eyes to uncross. Even if you don't need glasses to see clearly you still might need clear lenses with prisms. I have the same issue, the result of multiple surgeries on one eye. 

Of course, YMMV and the 7 degree offset may work for your condition but seeing double isn't normal. Your new shooting glasses will substitute for your normal eye protection.

-m-

msmith44

Back to top Go down

Post by FimRire RongLifle Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:08 am

Thanks. I only see double using both eyes open and using non dominant eye and that's only if I 'make it happen by concentration'.
I do have my eye appointment in January going somewhere new since I don't like me last two prescriptions.
FimRire RongLifle
FimRire RongLifle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down