Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for Rink like grip for Springfield RO

+6
DHMG1
Tripscape
LenV
straybrit
TonyH
AJ
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Looking for Rink like grip for Springfield RO Empty Looking for Rink like grip for Springfield RO

Post by AJ 10/29/2021, 7:49 pm

Hi All,
I have a Rink grip on my Hammerli X-Esse, with upsweept adjustable palm rest that fit me perfectly and really enjoy shooting with.

I am looking for a similar ajustable grip for my Springfield RO but would like bullseye shooter’s opinion before buying. 

Does anyone already have such a grip on RO and what is your impressions ?

Thank you,
AJ

AJ

Back to top Go down

Looking for Rink like grip for Springfield RO Empty Re: Looking for Rink like grip for Springfield RO

Post by TonyH 10/29/2021, 8:49 pm

Here is some reading for you that may help....I shoot slabs on all my 1911's including 22's.
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t9060-grip-grips-and-insight-from-masters-who-have-been-there
TonyH
TonyH

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Looking for Rink like grip for Springfield RO Empty Re: Looking for Rink like grip for Springfield RO

Post by straybrit 10/29/2021, 9:14 pm

Both Andy (Precision Target Grips) and Dick (Dick Horton Match Grips) of this parish have excellent offerings for 1911s. 

Something to note about the slab only grip methodology is that as one ages an increase in effective contact patch between hand and grip can be helpful. Over the last year or so I've finally resigned myself to admitting that due to injury and incipient arthritis I can no longer use the 'fore and aft' grip without muscle tremors because I'm having to work too hard.  There is more than one way to approach this - for me I've gone ortho grips on all my bullseye 1911s. It's still a learning experience but in practice at least it's showing as a positive.

Another point - you may find that an ortho grip doesn't work as well with a 45. I had a number of people tell me this and in my limited experience it seems to be the case for heavier loads in sustained fire. My answer was to find a lighter load for the short line.

straybrit

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 10/29/2021, 10:42 pm

Herrett nationals match the fit of the Rinks. Not as pretty. I've dumped my adjustable palm shelve grips for the most part and switched to Nills or clones. Looking for Rink like grip for Springfield RO 20190210

I like the feel enough I had Andrew make a set for my 952Looking for Rink like grip for Springfield RO 20190410
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ 10/30/2021, 6:45 am

Hi All,
I appreciate everyone’s answers, feedback and experience on 1911 grips options. Saved me time, aggravation and $$$ as well Smile
Will certainly no go with Ortho grips. The Herrett nationals could be a simpler option that I tried and liked on a Les Baer. I did not know Nills but will look into the brand and models.
Or just look into other “slabs” that would fit my hand better.
Thank you,
AJ

AJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 10/30/2021, 7:07 am

AJ,
Nills are different from Rinks. 1) Rink shelf is non adjustable on 1911. 2) Nills can be had with adj OR non adj shelfs, but those are not wrap arounds. 3) the feel and angles are different in both these grips. Some like Rinks, some Nills, but difference can be felt. 

One thing that ortho grips give you besides support is a bit more angle on 1911, which to me is a big improvement. They give it by the means of rear bulge. Same not present on Herretts, slabs, Fungs.
No experience with Hortons, sorry.
Yev

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ 10/30/2021, 7:22 am

Hi Yev,
I am personally not Interrested in Hortins for 1911. Read to many reviews referring to very long wait time, and no communication even if wait time was push even further, even though customer check was cashed.
After everything I read, I do not think I would buy none adjustable Rink for 1911. I would be interrested in Nills if I could try first.ehich I doubt is possible unless buying used. At these prices, makeIng a mistake on size or feel would be costly especially if grips do not help with end result. I am staying open minded but may just stick to slabs after all unless a Nills opportunity comes my way.
Thank you,
AJ

AJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 10/30/2021, 7:48 am

AJ, just for reference the Nill adjustable shelf CO023 are slightly larger width (volume) wise than same non-adjustable medium CO02, and a bit smaller (volume) than large CO2. They are perfect for those who are border line M-L hands. 
Yev

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ 10/30/2021, 8:49 am

Just took a look at Nill’s C0023.
It certainly look nice but it does not say 1911 45ACP compatible anywhere. It mentions Olympics style pistols which are mostly air guns, with less recoil than a .22
It also talks about fine tuning these grips which is over my pay grade Smile
It would hurt to make a mistake at these prices and from reading previous posts, most 1911 .45 shooter who tested these types of grips went back to slabs.
I will do more research but C0023 does not seems made for 1911 45ACP Pistol.
AJ

AJ

Back to top Go down

Looking for Rink like grip for Springfield RO Empty LEADTIMES ON HORTON GRIPS

Post by DHMG1 10/30/2021, 9:24 am

The comments on long lead times dates back to a number of years ago. Since retirement from a regular job, building grips has now become my full time occupation. The results are turnaround in about a week! Let me know if you need something sooner than that. Actually, is there anything else out there that can compete with that??

Dick Horton

DHMG1

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ 10/30/2021, 9:41 am

I appreciate the response and setting things straight for other potential buyers
My concern at this point is whether these types of grips are well suited for bullseye 1911 - 45ACP pistol.
It seems, from what I read, bullseye shooters try this grips for a while than go back to slabs.
I really enjoy shooting with my Hammerli with similar sculptures grip. I hoped to have similar grip on 1911 45 ACP. I like best practice to a certain extent. If I could test before buying I would go through the process, but it seems 99% on 1911 45ACP bullseye shooters go back to slabs.
I like good looking pistols with beautiful grips but my priority is to improve my scores.
Thank you for setting things straight about past comments.
AJ

AJ

Back to top Go down

Post by DHMG1 10/30/2021, 10:14 am

Looking for Rink like grip for Springfield RO 1911_p10
The primary advantage to utilizing an anatomical style grip on any competition pistol is to enable engaging the grip the same way every time. This style grip only allows a shooter to grasp the gun comfortably just one way. The down side to this is "small hands". The 1911 has a large frame profile for a single stack pistol. If you can't reach the trigger, you are probably wasting your time. That being said, I probably have built more 1911 grips over the years than all others combined. I continue to have customers ordering their 2nd and 3rd 1911 grip. The common denominator??....large hands.

DHMG1

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ 10/30/2021, 10:54 am

Good info and that was my initial reasoning for getting these types of grip for my Hammerli. But there seems to be different school of thoughts and experience for 1911 45ACP. 
Will ask the best shooters where I shoot for their feedback.
What is the brand and model of this grip. ?

AJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 10/30/2021, 12:15 pm

AJ wrote:Just took a look at Nill’s C0023.
It certainly look nice but it does not say 1911 45ACP compatible anywhere. It mentions Olympics style pistols which are mostly air guns, with less recoil than a .22
It also talks about fine tuning these grips which is over my pay grade Smile
It would hurt to make a mistake at these prices and from reading previous posts, most 1911 .45  shooter who tested these types of  grips went back to slabs.
I will do more research but C0023 does not seems made for 1911 45ACP Pistol.
AJ
AJ,
Nill CO023 are compatible witb all 1911's, other than some Les Baer. For those there is other model, due to LB being slightly different dimensions on frame. 

Any time you read "for 1911" usually means 45ACP primarily, as that caliber was and is still a standard for 1911 guns. So to answer the question - yes, all Nill, Rink, Horton, Herretts, Fung, etc. grips are compatible with 45ACP and other calibers. None require modification unless you specifically feel like adjusting them for even better fit. All of them differ from each other in the way they feel.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by BerryhillAC 11/1/2021, 5:57 am

AJ,

Lots of good advice here re grip options, including the endorsement of Dick's grips.  He does beautiful work.  One thing you might want to consider is letting me make a 3d scan of your current Hammerli grip and then reproduce it with 3d printing for the 1911.  The consistency of your grip is so important in target shooting, but too many shooters overlook the opportunity to extend that consistency of grip from gun to gun.  The basic frame geometry of your Hammerli and the 1911 are very close and I can make them feel nearly identical in your hand by copying the grip from one gun to the other.  Check out my website ([url=PrecisionTargetPistolGrips.com]PrecisionTargetPistolGrips.com[/url]) for more info.

All best,
Andrew

BerryhillAC

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ 11/1/2021, 7:56 am

Andrew,
I appreciate your offer and feedback. Will speak with top shooters at my leagues to better understand what I need and what is required for 45 bullseye shooting. Will PM you once I know the path I want to take.
Thank you,
AJ

AJ

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 11/1/2021, 12:33 pm

I have Rink grips on most of my pistols, as well as on 3 1911 frames, most recent being a Sig 1911 Target. I like them a lot. Only very minor issue has been occasionally I don’t properly engagement the rear safety well enough. As stated, the shelf is not adjustable, but if you are careful when ordering (I have always ordered direct from Mr Rink) that shouldn’t be an issue.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ 11/1/2021, 6:30 pm

BerryhillAC wrote:AJ,

One thing you might want to consider is letting me make a 3d scan of your current Hammerli grip and then reproduce it with 3d printing for the 1911.
Hi Andrew,
I like technology but I do not believe in one size fits all, whether about pistol grips or diets. No disrespect intended of course.
The Hammerli and 1911 have different geometry. The trigger is not located at the same place. The trigger does not function the same way. The work done with a 3D design would needs to be adjusted in some way shape and form, or the pistol would have to be adjusted to the grip. Also the palm rest being adjustable on the Hammerli and not on 3D grip, I do not see the benefit, in my case at least, to get a 3D printed grip instead of buying the Rink for a few $$$ more. 
Don’t get me wrong and respectfully, I am sure your application works in some instances but I do not see where a Hammerli hand fit can be reproduced with a 3D technilogy on a 1911 without lots of modifications, which to me is not worth they hassle. 
If it was a free option and buy once it’s finished and fits properly, I would give it a try. But we don’t live in Santa Land and you just like anyone else has to make money to eat daily.
Would be happy to work with you to prove me wrong if it did not cost me anything until I get proper fit on my 1911!
Again, no disrespect intended. You surely know more about your technology that I do. I just do not see it from where I stand.
Offer is on the table and please prove me wrong. 
Respectfully,
AJ

AJ

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ 11/1/2021, 6:52 pm

gregbenner wrote:I have Rink grips on most of my pistols, as well as on 3 1911 frames, most recent being a Sig 1911 Target. I like them a lot. Only very minor issue has been occasionally I don’t properly engagement the rear safety well enough. As stated, the shelf is not adjustable, but if you are careful when ordering (I have always ordered direct from Mr Rink) that shouldn’t be an issue.
Hi Greg,
I appreciated the feedback and am currently looking into whether or not to add Rink-like grips on my 1911-45ACP as I have on my Hammerli. 
I will meet with top bullseye shooter this week and engage in this conversation. 
I understand some discipline require slabs such as “CMP legs and President’s 100 matches”, which I am not sure I would participate in anytime soon but one never knows. Although changing grips would not be difficult, adjusting from one type of grip to another may not be so easy without lots of practice. There are also those who would say, “Lots of practice with slabs equals what sculptured grip can do faster”
I personally love the Rink grip on the Hammerli. I would like to get the same extension of my arm feeling with 1911 45ACP.
But they are very different animals. Would be interested to know more if you can send me a PM.
Will get back on subject once I brainstormed with others as well. 
Thank you,
AJ

AJ

Back to top Go down

Post by BerryhillAC 11/1/2021, 6:58 pm

AJ,

If you love your 208 grip I'm confident I can use 3d scanning and 3d printing to make a 1911 grip for you that fits similarly.  I do exactly this sort of job all the time for shooters, making hundreds of grips every year.  Yes, the geometry and basic set-up is not identical, but adjusting for that is what I do.  About 10% of my clients need me to make a V2 grip based their feedback to the initial grip and I'm always happy to do that.  Think of it this way, I don't sell grips, but a service that provides a grip.  If you don't like my work, I'm happy to refund your order.  And every so often I can't make a grip to a client's satisfaction.  But that is pretty rare and part of providing a such a service.  

You can buy a grip from another maker, and you'll get a good product, but if you'd like a service to fit a grip that matches your 208's feel, reach out to me via my webpage and we'll set up a plan to borrow your 208 grip for a bit to get it copied and make your new 1911 grip.

Andrew

BerryhillAC

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ 11/1/2021, 7:12 pm

@Andrew,
I admire the confidence you have in your product/technology and you have me thinking… Maybe there is something you know that I do not Wink
Will get back to you via PM.
Thank you for making me doubt. I am always willing to learn something new!
AJ

AJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 11/1/2021, 7:24 pm

AJ

Anthropometric data and models of human anatomy are readily available.  Most military pilot stations have to be able to accommodate hands of all sizes and shapes (from the 5th percentile female to the 95th percentile male),  Here is a small set of measurements and the defense department has more.  

https://multisite.eos.ncsu.edu/www-ergocenter-ncsu-edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/18/2016/06/Anthropometric-Detailed-Data-Tables.pdf

Designers of flight control and physical interfaces have 3D anthropometric models they can super-impose on their designs to see if the design meets requirements.  Some of these are “parametric” so they can be scaled up to precise sizes.  I do not know if Andrew uses such a model, but all he needs is a few measurements and perhaps a life size photo of your hand and he can do as good as anybody including Rink, Horton or .?
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ 11/1/2021, 7:54 pm

@Wobbley
I always appreciate a good conversation and positive input. But we are going off subject in these instances. We can always debate about which technology is better moving forward.
The basic question I ask myself, is whether or not sculpture grips are uses by top level shooters on 1911-45ACP platform and why?
It works well for me on .22 and most  .22 bullseye shooters I meet  use these types of grips. Why do I see less top shooters using sculptures grips with 1911 platform ?
AJ

AJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 11/1/2021, 8:08 pm

Why do I see less top shooters using sculptures grips with 1911 platform ?
Cause John Moses Browning designed the gun and the grips and there is nothing better….nuff said!  Laughing
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 11/1/2021, 8:32 pm

AJ wrote:@Wobbley
I always appreciate a good conversation and positive input. But we are going off subject in these instances. We can always debate about which technology is better moving forward.
The basic question I ask myself, is whether or not sculpture grips are uses by top level shooters on 1911-45ACP platform and why?
It works well for me on .22 and most  .22 bullseye shooters I meet  use these types of grips. Why do I see less top shooters using sculptures grips with 1911 platform ?
AJ
 Ergo (or Euro) grips tend to promote a “looser” grip on the pistol.  Whether it is size, grip angle, other features, is uncertain.  You can shoot well with a loose grip in 22 and some centerfire cartridges.  Not so much for a 45.  The recoil is too severe.  You need to grip it firmly.  Slabs are easier to grip firmly, IMO, and you get grip “repeatability” by learning what YOUR grip is.  Your grip is developed as part of your “foundation” (for want of a better word).  Your foundation is your stance, your “angle” to the firing line, your grip and your arm and shoulder position.  They are ALL inter-related.  You want your “foundation” to be such that when you raise your arm from a low-ready position, the dot or sights are aligned to your eye without you having to move your wrist.   This ‘foundation” is then aligned to the bullseye by moving the feet slightly.  The hand should grip the pistol firmly particularly 45 pistols.  How firmly?  As firm as you would a framing hammer.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next