Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much work to install a Kart barrel in RO 9mm

5 posters

Go down

How much work to install a Kart barrel in RO 9mm Empty How much work to install a Kart barrel in RO 9mm

Post by Svcshooter 3/24/2023, 5:32 am

I am considering purchasing a Kart Xact fit barrel in my 9mm Range Officer and was wondering how entailed it is to fit it.  Is it a drop in or are slight tweaks required?
Thanks

Svcshooter

Back to top Go down

How much work to install a Kart barrel in RO 9mm Empty Re: How much work to install a Kart barrel in RO 9mm

Post by Jon Eulette 3/24/2023, 6:06 am

Not a drop in. Fit barrel hood to slide. Fit upper barrel lug raised pads until bottom barrel lugs fit over the slide stop. I think they are already prechambered.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

How much work to install a Kart barrel in RO 9mm Empty Re: How much work to install a Kart barrel in RO 9mm

Post by PMcfall 3/24/2023, 8:01 am

Jon
I've heard several times over the years to avoid the Xactfit barrels.  What do you think?
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by empty_cases 3/30/2023, 2:28 am

I am retired 1911 gun builder, who used to frequent Perry's commercial row often, and a former member of the American Pistolsmith's Guild. Your friends never leave you alone and never want to pay, lol. I have a barrel tester and a test fixture for 1911's. So, just for kicks, I wondered if the barrel in a Springfield Armory Range officer or Garrison in 9mm was worth a bang. Things to consider: slide to frame play. Both of these models I worked with were super tight. Next, both needed a match barrel bushing cut. Next, the hood on these were a little short, allowing forward and backward movement of the barrel in the slide during lockup, A little Tig weld and recut solved that. The barrel lockup on the ones that I did was fine fine, believe it or not. Were they 1000 percent, maybe not, but good enough.  Next, Springfield never made great action parts, they were always junk IMO, but EGW makes great parts, so pick your poison off of George Smiths website and do a little recut. Nice 2.5 trigger in whatever flavor you like. GUN RESULTS: Barrel Testing at 50yards: 10 shots 1.25 inches, Complete gun 50 yards test fixture: 10 shots about 1.5 shots 50 yards. Slide mounted a Rock River Mount and an Ultra Dot on a few, and milled in a Vortex Venom a another few ala the Kimber Aegis just for fun guns. Not bad for not spending alot of money. NOW, do all springfield barrels shoot at 50 yards? I don't know, that's why I have a barrel tester, but so far out of ten guns, they all did. Can't comment on Springfield's .45 barrels, I haven't tested any yet. I always used Kart and USMC Barsto barrels in the past, KKM wasn't around then. But I've built hundreds of Kart and Barsto barreled guns in the past and never had one that didn't make the grade, with handloads especially Barsto with jacketed in either caliber. I've talked with Fred Kart in the past about the EZ fits, he exclaimed how easy and how well they worked at 50 yards. They do cost more, and I was always more comfortable having control on how much lockup I could provide with the standard issue ones. He laughed. But for a guy that just want's to get in the game, the Springfield idea is not a bad one. Every 1911 builder has their own things they do inside to provide smoothness and reliability. You don't get that if you do it yourself. You might choose a gunsmith on this site to help you along. If you have a few hundred extra bucks, then go with a new barrel and fit. EGW has the option of sending you a barrel bushing that is close as possible to your provided dimensions. You won't need special tools to ream and fit them. The Hammers/sears they sell are mirror finish, and great quality. I used to use alot of STI parts in the past before they got snooty, and Colt Gold Cup hammers for soft actions, which now I wouldn't even bother with Colt. Just my opinion for another idea. If you want the truth, with no subjectivity, you have to have test fixtures and testing at 25 yards guarantees you nothing at 50 yards. Remove every possibility of error with test fixtures, then if you shoot a 5, you know its you, lol. The best thing I ever did was build a barrel test fixture. When I was in the guild a couple companies sent me free barrels, hoping I would use their product. The first thing I did was throw them in the test fixture and find out. There are a couple big named producers that are not up to the job. Good luck

empty_cases

fc60, BE Mike, bruce martindale, Amanda4461, popchevy and MkFiji like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 3/30/2023, 6:07 am

To the OP, google Xact fit kart instructions and you find a 13 page pdf of them. May not be current but it will give you an idea.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Amanda4461 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down