Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much does a good used match air pistol cost?

+9
Merick
RodJ
impalanut
chopper
james r chapman
javaduke
jglenn21
chiz1180
Nopro
13 posters

Go down

How much does a good used match air pistol cost? Empty How much does a good used match air pistol cost?

Post by Nopro Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:24 pm

What's a good brand to look for in a used match air pistol. Are there brands or models to avoid? I'm thinking pcp. What equipment do you need to run it besides a scuba tank? What's it cost to shoot 10 meter competition?

Nopro

Back to top Go down

How much does a good used match air pistol cost? Empty Re: How much does a good used match air pistol cost?

Post by chiz1180 Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:47 pm

Styer, Morini, Walther, or Pardini would be the brands on my list, not necessarily in that order. Benelli no longer supports their models, best to avoid them. The most basic equipment to run would be either a hand pump, suba tank, or a compressor. The biggest cost in shooting 10m air matches would probably be the travel depending on your location. Of course you can buy all sorts of other things that supposedly help (special shoes, glasses, ect.) but at the end of the day shot process and trigger control are probably more important than the gizmos/accessories. Pellets are best bought in bulk, for most things middle of the road price wise is usually good enough, though premium pellets are not too terribly expensive.

Personally in PCP guns I have had great success with a Styer LP10 and a Morini 162EI (I own a 162EI). I have had more limited experience with Hammerli AP10s and Walther LP500s they can be good options as well. If you can find a local club it would be a good way to get some hands on experience with the different models.

If you are looking to set up your own personal range, a good pellet trap and some Kruger targets would be a good entry point. If you want/can invest more, an etarget is a good option as they are used in the higher level competitions.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

How much does a good used match air pistol cost? Empty Re: How much does a good used match air pistol cost?

Post by jglenn21 Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:43 pm

Older pcp pistols can be had for 600-800 and still be an excellent way to start. I have a styer lp1 which is excellent and my wife shoots a older walther which she loves.
jglenn21
jglenn21

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:09 pm

Keep an eye on the Targettalk forum Buy, Sell, Trade section, they do come up there every now and then. Prices went up considerably lately, I believe a decent used pistol with electronic trigger can be obtained for about $1500, give or take a few hundred. Mechanical triggers are a bit cheaper, I'd recommend Pardini K12, I was very impressed when I tried it, and it's $1800 new, so used would probably be about $1k or so. Walther LP400 is also pretty good but there are things about it I don't like (in particular, the way the trigger blade position adjustments work, it's nearly impossible to lock the trigger blade tight, it tends to walk and rotate, and it's annoying)
Not a huge fan of Hammer AP20, the grip and balance feels odd. Haven't tried the AP20 Pro.
If you have a scuba shop nearby so that you can refill your scuba tank, then it's all you need, otherwise a compressor would be nice to have. They are expensive though, but buy once, cry once.
Unfortunately it seems like the Kruger is the only decent paper target options, all other I tried were pretty bad. Kruger targets are available here: https://www.krugerpremiumtargets.com/order/p/10m-air-pistol-nra-b40-bull-block-of-250

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:34 am

Another one for a new shooter is a used Alfa Arms air pistol.

It used a rechargeable cylinder in the grip that will get you through a match.

Possibility in the $500 range.

How much does a good used match air pistol cost? 690dfb10
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Hawkja likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:53 am

jglenn21 wrote:Older pcp pistols can be had for 600-800 and still be an excellent way to start. I have a styer lp1 which is excellent and my wife shoots a older walther which she loves.
 I have a Steyr LP-1 also, but haven't converted it to compressed air. I still use CO2 and like it because I fill it with a bottom syphon tank at home.
 To the OP don't shy away from SSP pistols either if you're just starting out, some are still very accurate contenders in the matches you'll probably enter for a while. This is the route I took and I have a spare to take with me to matches as a backup. Ultimately it's your choice and you're right about buying used, it can save you some money. You'll need some support things like a hand pump or a tank to refill your pistol cylinders off of. Speaking of cylinders you'll need up to date ones if you go to matches other than local ones where they know you. Check around for parts availability, not all makers keep parts available for older pistols. 
 Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:38 pm

My LP! is also still Co2. I prefer it too.. pressure is always the same except when it simply runs out and quits.. never had that issue though.. I have a fire extinguisher refill/hydro company less than 20 minutes from me...cheap to get the bottom fill tank I have redone
jglenn21
jglenn21

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nopro Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:16 pm

Thanks everyone.

Nopro

Back to top Go down

Post by impalanut Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:44 am

A Baikal or Air venturi (Baikal knock off) can be had for less than half the price. No other means of charging required. Accurate. A great choice for beginning. I have a Steyr now but started with the Baikal. Baikal was almost as accurate, much cheaper, and i still use it for beginners who go with me.

impalanut

Back to top Go down

Post by Nopro Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:04 pm

Where do you buy a bottom siphon co2 tank?

Nopro

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:43 pm

You can find them on amazon.they are usually the larger tanks 20lb up.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Nopro Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:28 pm

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Nopro

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:08 pm

Nopro wrote:Where do you buy a bottom siphon co2 tank?
Got mine at a beer brewing supply store. I have an LP5 CO2 five shot repeating version of the LP1.

Pilkington Guns in TN serviced mine after I got it on Gun(I’m) broker (than I was before).  I really should shoot it more but to someone else’s comment, a single strike pneumatic is even easier. Just can’t practice rapid or time fire with an SSP.

RodJ

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:18 pm

Nopro, if you don't have a bottom syphon tank, you'll just have to turn your tank upside down to get the liquid CO2 into your cylinder.
 Stan

chopper

james r chapman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:43 am

Where do used air pistols trade?

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:56 pm

Merick wrote:Where do used air pistols trade?  
Here in classifieds

Targettalk.net 

Airguns.net

Gatewaytoairguns.org

eBay

Gun(I’m)broke(r than I was before).com and the other usual gun platform suspects

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:32 pm

Brewing supply? I'd likely forget what I went there for ...

If I get off my xxx and sell a few guns, I'm gonna get a Steyr LP-50. Bullseye practice aside ...

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by dmaryakh Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:13 am

WesG wrote:Brewing supply? I'd likely forget what I went there for ...

If I get off my xxx and sell a few guns, I'm gonna get a Steyr LP-50. Bullseye practice aside ...
Why not go for the latest 5 shooter on the market - Feinwerkbau P85?

Will have them for sale in US early summer

dmaryakh

Back to top Go down

Post by jshank Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:28 pm

Who is "Will have them for sale in US early summer"?

jshank

Back to top Go down

Post by lyoke Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:32 pm

dmaryakh wrote:
WesG wrote:Brewing supply? I'd likely forget what I went there for ...

Why not go for the latest 5 shooter on the market - Feinwerkbau P85?

Will have them for sale in US early summer

I didn't see the product listed on the site. Do you have an MSRP? Has FWB sent out any additional product information yet?

lyoke

Back to top Go down

Post by dmaryakh Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:03 pm

@lyoke - not yet but already discussing and planning in next shipment. I tried to order them in February together with FWB900 but they were not ready before summer. I do have P8X and P11 in a rifle shipment that is clearing customs as we speak - in case you need another gun Wink

And I have the 3D meshpro grips for them as well - going to load to the website tonight

dmaryakh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down