Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Main spring used

+2
ScottB
Froneck
6 posters

Go down

Main spring used Empty Main spring used

Post by Froneck 4/8/2023, 3:48 pm

I'm going to try to complete the Hammer project I started before Perry. I have 5 hammers wire cut from tough material, much stronger than 4140 or other similar alloys.  I'm wondering what main spring the BE shooters are using and possibly why if your willing to explain. Photo is Hammer as cut, material thickness at this time is slightly under 3/8" ground flat on my surface grinder before wire cutting. I plan to grind the blank flat again to insure flatness before doing any other work. I Need to make a few jigs to hold the hammer and plan to use my Jig Borer to bore the holes and possibly complete the safety half-round notch.Main spring used Cimg2112

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Main spring used Empty Re: Main spring used

Post by ScottB 4/8/2023, 7:09 pm

19 Lb mainspring.  I chose this because I use a Nelson conversion for the .22 and 19 Lbs is what Bob Marvel recommended in his "Functioning Factors" for conversion units paper.  https://www.guntalk-online.com/images/Marvel_Functioning.pdf

I haven't had any problem with light hits using Winchester, CCI, or Federal primers.  I have had occasional light hits with S&B primers but my supply of them is long gone.
ScottB
ScottB

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick 4/8/2023, 8:26 pm

23 lb. in ball gun.

After a time of hardship and malfunctions I now try to keep everything as in the center of the original specifications as possible.

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 4/9/2023, 7:00 am

If you’re planning on selling them, have you thought about beavertail safeties that most shooters are using?
Thanks

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 4/9/2023, 3:30 pm

Beavertail safety will be a lot of work, there are so many available so it wouldn't be worth it. But hammer using extremely hard material, holes done in a Jig Borer and High Standard sear hook cut is not available.
On my 1911 I have a one piece main spring housing and grip safety so safety does not move nor work but a lot of work making.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 4/9/2023, 3:42 pm

I think the 19# craze started with the 22 conversions coming out. Before that I always used factory Colt 23# springs. But that was a long time ago, my memory in this case might be off lol.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 4/9/2023, 5:56 pm

#15, 9mm .38 super 
#17, .45
#19, .22 conversion
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down