Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the best way to replace the Main Spring on a Hammerli Xesse

4 posters

Go down

What is the best way to replace the Main Spring on a Hammerli Xesse Empty What is the best way to replace the Main Spring on a Hammerli Xesse

Post by rich.tullo 4/20/2022, 7:33 am

Gun is running good , but I have about 5000 rounds through it and I think it is time to change the spring. 

It looks like you remove the hammer and push in from the top but i was wondering if there are any tricks to avoid issues. 

Do you have to capture the sear?
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

What is the best way to replace the Main Spring on a Hammerli Xesse Empty Re: What is the best way to replace the Main Spring on a Hammerli Xesse

Post by jglenn21 4/20/2022, 5:03 pm

I have replaced quite a few.. here's what i do.

I place the hammer and strut upside down in a small  vice with as little of the hammer locked down as i can.without the mainspring on. Add the mainspring and with the pistol upside down i use the frame to push down on the mainspring guiding the strut through the hole on the frame. When the hammer pin lines up with the frame hole i use a tapered pin to slide in as a temporary pin.. remove the pistol from the vice and then push the normal hammer pin in.. way easier to push down using the frame
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

What is the best way to replace the Main Spring on a Hammerli Xesse Empty Re: What is the best way to replace the Main Spring on a Hammerli Xesse

Post by TicTocer 4/21/2022, 6:40 pm

What is a good change interval for these? I was hoping 50,000 rounds or when light hits start.

TicTocer

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 4/22/2022, 6:21 am

Haven't kept a round count but I'm on my 3rd year of the same mainspring without issue.. i do change my recoil spring every off season.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 4/27/2022, 7:55 pm

Question, which pin is the hammer pin, from the parts diagram it looks like the most rear ward and lower pin?
And it seems like the frame gives up the pin from left to right.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 4/27/2022, 9:44 pm

Pins for the hammer and sear are the same. No preference that i remember are far as direction of removal. By habit i remove them left to right.. yes the hammer pin is behind the sear pin to the rear. If you also remove the sear remember it has a small return spring attached
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 4/28/2022, 10:18 am

jglenn21 wrote:Pins for the hammer and sear are the same. No preference that i remember are far as direction of removal.  By habit i remove them left to right.. yes the hammer pin is behind the sear pin to the rear. If you also remove the sear remember it has a small return spring attached
Zero interest in removing the sear , its a Larry's Special and excellent, They locked everything down with nail polish , I may remove that and bump the trigger weight to 2.7 pounds but it breaks like glass.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 4/30/2022, 7:40 pm

Ok. great advice with the vice. Question. The Main Spring Red Feather sent me appears to be too large , it is the same gauge that came off the gun but was a good 3/16 of an inch or more longer, 

No way could I replace the main spring with the replacement. I think if I cut it 3, 4 , or 5 coils it would work? 

I re installed the current spring using your method and that work easy as pie. 

Question do you cut them?
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 4/30/2022, 7:57 pm

never have cut the mainspring.. used springs do compress and show as being shorter.. Did you try to install the new spring?  if you can get it installed it should be fine as long as the spring does not coil bind when the hammer is cocked.  coil bind being zero space between the coils
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 4/30/2022, 8:18 pm

if you have a question about the spring, you can order parts directly from Walther USA.. find a schematic of the Xesse on the Walther web site and use those part #s when ordering.. I have 2742056 in my notes as the mainspring #...2742886 is the recoil spring.

jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 4/30/2022, 9:37 pm

I could not get the replacement installed. The old one reinstalled fairly easily. You are correct about the part number. I will try again, and count the coils and see it it is the correct spring.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 5/1/2022, 8:11 am

rich.tullo wrote:I could not get the replacement installed. The old one reinstalled fairly easily. You are correct about the part number. I will try again, and count the coils and see it it is the correct spring.
You also have to take into account the wire diameter, since that, times the coil count, determines its length when the spring goes solid under compression.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 5/1/2022, 12:25 pm

Measured a couple of new hammer springs i had.

jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 5/1/2022, 1:12 pm

I compressed the spring in the vice prior to install. That made it about an 1/8 shorter than the other new spring I ordered. Installed with a little more resistant than the old spring but was doable. 

Gun seems to function well and new spring may have added 2 ounces to the trigger pull which is ok by me.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 5/1/2022, 1:32 pm

Good deal
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down