Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New brass sizing

+3
SingleActionAndrew
Dcforman
1983xr
7 posters

Go down

New brass sizing Empty New brass sizing

Post by 1983xr Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:14 am

45 acp Star Line brass do you guys run sizing die all the way down the case or just the top where bullet will set as Star Line says or no size at all? This will be loaded on a Dillon 650.
Thanks
Brad

1983xr

Back to top Go down

New brass sizing Empty Re: New brass sizing

Post by Dcforman Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:50 am

No sizing, just the normal expander. Definitely lube it up before loading.

Dave

Dcforman

KB2MBC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:54 am

Answering what I do, not whether it's correct, is perform all steps the same regardless the state of the 45 brass (full sizing). I never realized my thousands of starline cases came with instructions.
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottB Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:01 pm

I'm loading on a Dillon 550 so I run them all the way down.  I'm not sure how on a progressive press you could only size the top of the case without impacting the powder drop and seating/crimping of the other cases going through at the same time.
ScottB
ScottB

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:09 pm

FWIW, and all that, I used to neck size brass to get cleaner fired cases with less gas blowback. They fed just fine and looked cool too. Haven't bothered in years.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Black_Talon Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:01 pm

ScottB wrote:I'm not sure how on a progressive press you could only size the top of the case without impacting the powder drop and seating/crimping of the other cases going through at the same time.

You could use a Redding Dual Ring Carbide Sizing Die, except I don't think Redding is making them any more. They came out with some new-fangled version, but I don't know if it does something similar.
Black_Talon
Black_Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:16 pm

I suggest checking cases and sizing die with caliper first.  More often than not new Starline brass is undersized.  There is good chance that ID of sizing die will be bigger than OD of new cases.  If true, than sizing new brass will do nothing.

Yes, it is possible to size only top portion of the new case.  Since decapping isn't required, sizing die can be adjusted up and provide case sizing down to desired level.  With previously fired cases being de-primed prior to sizing (i.e. using Lee Universal Decapper) same can be done for such cases as well.  No need to adjust dies on subsequent stations.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down