Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FL sizing for .38 Special

4 posters

Go down

FL sizing for .38 Special Empty FL sizing for .38 Special

Post by Bullseye58 8/24/2020, 8:23 pm

Is there any reason not to use the full length of the sizing die? I am reloading 148 gn HBWC for my S&W 52-2. If so, can you explain the advantage of only using the FL die to resize a portion of the case. Thanks!

Last edited by Bullseye58 on 8/25/2020, 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Bullseye58
Bullseye58

Back to top Go down

FL sizing for .38 Special Empty Re: FL sizing for .38 Special

Post by cdrt 8/24/2020, 9:26 pm

You need to resize the entire case.  If you don't, you'll have a bulge at the bottom and it won't chamber.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by rkittine 8/25/2020, 1:20 pm

In theory the case will fire form to the chamber dimension and then work the next time basically without resizing at all, but it real life that does not always work, maybe for the first reloading of a once only fired case, when getting the mouth resized to assure good bullet seating. And the chamber may be a size that might cause feeding issues not just chambering issues.

Short answer, as pointed out, full length resize every time.

Bob
rkittine
rkittine

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye58 8/27/2020, 9:00 am

Thank you guys. Appreciate your input!
Bullseye58
Bullseye58

Back to top Go down

Post by NuJudge 8/27/2020, 6:24 pm

There are various techniques used to load .38 HBWC bullets.  The bullets are really soft, and if the case ID is much smaller than the bullet, it will swage them down, and groups will be bad, with Leading.  Two different techniques are talked about here, if your chamber is small enough an you have fat enough bullets, not sizing cases at all is claimed by some to give best accuracy, but the bullets have to be a push fit.  If your chamber is too big and the bullets would fall down too far in the case, you can sometimes use a sizing die that is larger than the typical .38 size die to get the same effect.  Another technique is to use a normal size die, then a longer and bigger expander to achieve the same push fit down to the fully seated, but no deeper.  Expanders for Dillon presses can be found here:  https://www.photoescapeinc.com/products/powder-funnel-wadcutter38.html

Last edited by NuJudge on 8/30/2020, 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

NuJudge

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye58 8/27/2020, 6:55 pm

Ty NuJudge. I reload on my Lee Single Stage press. I usually use range brass from my range. I load the 148's for my 52-2. I do FL size, perform a slight case neck expansion with a Lyman M die only enough to hand place the bullet in the case. I have been using Precision Delta bullets. I seat flush and perform very slight taper crimp. I have only loaded about 100 rounds b/c I am waiting for my pistol (NY). Another shooter with a 52 mentioned not FL sizing and it didn't make sense to me. After reading your post, I have a much better understanding of why he mentioned this. Thanks very much for your input.
Bullseye58
Bullseye58

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down