Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modifying a Model 41 Barrel

+6
Dan Webb
Wobbley
inthebeech
BE Mike
Jack H
Tim:H11
10 posters

Go down

Modifying a Model 41 Barrel  Empty Modifying a Model 41 Barrel

Post by Tim:H11 Tue May 30, 2023 9:54 pm

I have a model 41 that I am thinking of getting a second barrel for that would be set up for an optic. I’ve seen what Clark offers but I’m thinking something more along the lines of a factory barrel where a lot of weight has been removed through machining and a dovetail machined directly into the barrel for optic mounting. If anyone has something like this could you share pictures and who did the work please. Also if any of the gunsmiths here are able to do that sort of work please let me know. I’m not sure who to seek out for this project. Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Modifying a Model 41 Barrel  Empty Re: Modifying a Model 41 Barrel

Post by Jack H Wed May 31, 2023 3:07 am

I recall seeing on Rimfire Central a 5.5" 41 barrel someone slimmed down and left  the top machined into a vented rib.
 It was a great looking work.
 I was going to have my 5.5" done, but the guy didn't want to cut into it due to it being relined by Alex Hamilton. Modifying a Model 41 Barrel  IMG-0094-1

I do have a 7" that I got cut to 5.5" locally.  Its weight now with a dot is perfect for me.
 And it has grouped under 1" at 50y Modifying a Model 41 Barrel  IMG-0091-1

An option might be 22 ring grooves like this on the 5.5"
Modifying a Model 41 Barrel  Marvel-rib
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Wed May 31, 2023 10:12 am

Back in the day, Buddy Chapman from Lone Oak, TX, if I remember correctly, used to cut down 7" barrels to 5.5" or 6". They were a great set up. If I hadn't already had a Hammerli 208s, I might have gone that route. If I were going to do it today, I'd have the barrel cut and relined.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech Wed May 31, 2023 11:14 am

FYI the Clark barrel is quite a bit lighter since there is no metal behind the breech.  The savings is roughly equal to the weight I added with rings and an UD. The biggest reason I did this is the ragged hole they made with ten shots at fifty yards. I can’t afford the Black Box ammo they did it with but if you are going to really consider this, PM me as I will be Ransom testing the gun with a few lower grade Eley bullets as soon as my RR inserts arrive. I’ll let you know how it groups. You should also know that I had two alibis in a single NMC match using CCI SV.  When I put a drop of oil on the top round of the first mag in each string in the second match of the evening, the feeding and extraction issues disappeared. Two NMC are not much data to go on but I am not going to start oiling bullets and since switching over to Eley I don’t need to (so far about two hundred rounds through clean with no issues and no cleaning). So I’m just letting you know that you need to be agreeable to the idea that you may not be able to use one of the most popular bullets out there if you get one of these Clark barrels (unless you're ok with "oiling" bullets).
Ed

Last edited by inthebeech on Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling correction)
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Wed May 31, 2023 11:43 am

I found that my Clark barrel also needs a drop of oil on the ammo otherwise I get extraction issues. It’s ok as I just do what it needs.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Webb Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:28 am

Talley rings bolt right to the holes in a M41 barrel without the use of a base. They are available in 1" & 30mm.

Dan Webb

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:34 am

Dan Webb wrote:Talley rings bolt right to the holes in a M41 barrel without the use of a base. They are available in 1" & 30mm.
What are "Talley rings"?
I did a search, with no results....
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:48 am

Talley rings are quality rifle scope rings, direct mount not requiring bases. Available from Midway and probably many others.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by rburk Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:44 pm

When I purchased my model 41, it came with both the 5.5" and 7" barrels.  I don't have data written down, but I did get more stovepipes and alibis with the 5.5" barrel.  I attribute some of that to the fact that the 5.5" is wider, so that the barrel extension over the slide traps more empties.

I would consider shortening a 7" barrel if you have one available.

I currently use a Clark 5.5" STC, without the extension.  I also smear a small drop of oil on the top round of every other magazine.  This combo has been very reliable.

rburk

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:46 am

I’ll second the recommendation for a Clark barrel. Money well spent.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by JHHolliday Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:11 pm

My 41 has a 7.5" barrel with irons that shoots great (relined by Alex Hamilton), and a 5.5" Clark with a (Sightron) dot.  I bought the Clark on this forum used, and both barrels function well without oiling rounds (using a lighter recoil spring).  IDK how old the Clark is but it functions well and is accurate.  The gun set up like this is a bit heavier than I like, and for that and other reasons I prefer to shoot my 208s.

https://ibb.co/YNb90jQ
JHHolliday
JHHolliday

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down