Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My brain reset and I need help getting back on track

4 posters

Go down

My brain reset and I need help getting back on track Empty My brain reset and I need help getting back on track

Post by Blazin 6/11/2023, 5:38 am

Prior to a 1.5-week vacation with the wife in late April/early May I was shooting 800-820, and typically in the low to mid 270's for the NMC portion. Upon my return from vacation something reset in my head and now I can't break 800 because for SF I'm seeing the sights aligned and pulling the trigger without finesse, and I do this even when I think I'm not. I've tried pulling the trigger slowly and accepting the shot where it breaks (I have a pretty good hold), and this technique works sometimes but even then I'll break the shot when the sights are aligned with the shots being 7's or 6's typically. My SF scores went from consistent upper 80's with the occasional low 90, to upper 70's. I dry fire 2-3 times daily and do not see this phenomenon while DFing. I go to Perry for pistol for the first time next month and I'd like to fix this before then. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Background: I started bullseye last fall and progressed steadily through the winter. I've a very experienced shooting competitor (distinguished rifle, etc.), but still new to bullseye. I'm shooting a Nelson 22 kit with muzzle weight on a custom 1911 lower. Trigger breaks cleanly at 2 1/4 pounds.

Blazin

Back to top Go down

My brain reset and I need help getting back on track Empty Re: My brain reset and I need help getting back on track

Post by jimsteele 6/11/2023, 6:25 am

The best advice I can think of is  ...enjoy the experience of Perry...There is no match like it.
   I only went once, in 1993. I've been telling myself  for 30 years that I ought to go again, but i may have waited too long.

jimsteele

Back to top Go down

My brain reset and I need help getting back on track Empty Re: My brain reset and I need help getting back on track

Post by ermakevin 6/11/2023, 6:42 am

hello yes same advice Perry is an experience like no other , its hard to explain but its like a Grateful Dead concert unless you've been to one you really don't know what a great time it can be. don't worry about your scores at Perry enjoy the ride.
ermakevin
ermakevin

ric1911a1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 6/11/2023, 8:42 am

Everyone seems to start out thinking the trigger has to be slow.  This not the answer. You can't take slow into sustained fire and slow covers up things you need to see/feel.  What you do need is a determined trigger that goes from start to break in a reasonable time.

You might find the following helpful:

Improving Hold and Trigger Manipulation

That page references dot sighting, but you can substitute open sight alignment in place of the dot to tube alignment if you're using open sights.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Wobbley and Blazin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blazin 6/11/2023, 8:47 am

Ed Hall wrote:Everyone seems to start out thinking the trigger has to be slow.  This not the answer. You can't take slow into sustained fire and slow covers up things you need to see/feel.  What you do need is a determined trigger that goes from start to break in a reasonable time.

You might find the following helpful:

Improving Hold and Trigger Manipulation

That page references dot sighting, but you can substitute open sight alignment in place of the dot to tube alignment if you're using open sights.
Thanks Ed, I will give that a try, appreciate the insight.

Blazin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down