Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Non crimping SEATING DIE

+3
WesG
SingleActionAndrew
Eindecker
7 posters

Go down

Non crimping SEATING DIE Empty Non crimping SEATING DIE

Post by Eindecker 6/23/2023, 1:12 am

redding makes two, one of which is DESIGNED only for jacketed bullets. and the Pro series that they "might" be able to machine enough to not do damage to a LEAD bullet..

And Dillon. 

Why did the industry hop onto the seating die that crimps...    I agree with tungsten carbide inserts.. but modern spray lube from hornady is real good. 

which is better with lead, the dillon? 

which one doesnt need me to get an endless supply of add on seating stems,, redding reviews ive seen on midwayusa make it appear you get the die on its ownsome,,, you gotta get the seating stems on their ownsome as well in a seperate purchase. 

which comes with spacer rings for magnum cases to get the damned "x number of turns" correct?

in this picture i have the three bad rounds.  the left most is the baddest one.. it was done with the ram fully raised, the die body dropped to the shell holder, and then RAISED 3 complete turns UPWARDS.. 

I did so and raised the ram fully... Please note that it seems to have CHEWED up the case mouth..

Then I raised the die body AGAIN and made sure that there was at least 3/8" of open space between die body and shell holder...   the other two happened.  

then i had to simply raise the ram until i felt the case get "sticky" when it made contact in the crimp ring.

In these three cases, if you enlarge it, you need to notice the flat portion of the case above the rounded shoulder of the crimp...   that straight portion is free space above the surface  of the wadcuter,   using the reference diagram of chamber pressure of a solid based wadcutter, this cartridge SHOULD estimate to a potential chamber pressure of 50-70,000 PSI.

Eindecker

Back to top Go down

Non crimping SEATING DIE Empty Re: Non crimping SEATING DIE

Post by SingleActionAndrew 6/23/2023, 2:34 am

With target loads I've had good experience with the Redding seating dies (competition and regular micrometer) for jacketed and with lead the Dillon seating dies with UniqueTek seating stems inside for SWCs
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 6/23/2023, 11:49 am

I've loaded upwards of 5k lead bullets with my 45 Competition seater. Lubed bullets will leave some goo in the die and the floating stem will hang up for a second and then snap down when I lower the ram. I pull it out, clean the die and keep going. One of the advantages of the LNL system. Coated bullets might eventually build up some crud as well.

I made a couple stems to fit the bullets I use, mostly the 200. The factory original fits the JHP's pretty well. Nosler better than Hornady I think.

I have one of the micrometer adjusters in a 9mm die. I modified it to use interchangeable tips that are fit to each bullet. I just got some for 32, 38, and 45, and will do the same. The seating stem(s) as is fits nothing I have, either bearing on the edge or up on the nose so there's nothing to square it up. I also make them to fit the die body so everything is concentric. The factory stems have a fair bit of clearance, possibly being better for lubed bullets. I've only loaded a few hundred so far, but didn't see any issues ... yet. If it is, I'll groove them so the lube has somewhere to go.

At the least, the 32 and 38 would need the end faced to get some bearing surface for a WC.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by shanneba 6/23/2023, 3:26 pm

The Lee 4 die pistol set has a bullet seating die and a separate crimp die.

Lee Precision, Inc.. Handgun Carbide and Steel Reloading Die Sets

Lee 45 ACP Pistol 4-Die Set. Includes Carbide Full Length Sizing Die, Powder Through Expanding Die, Bullet Seating Die, Carbide Factory Crimp Die, Universal Shell Holder, Powder Dipper and Instructions/Load Data.

shanneba

Back to top Go down

Post by Eindecker 6/24/2023, 1:10 am

wont ever understand why people KEEP pointing me to crap i have stated i dont want... 

On the Dillon,,, why the hell do you need to get a seperate seating stem...

Eindecker

Powderpacker likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 6/24/2023, 1:30 pm

Eindecker, what reloading press are you using? Does it have room for 4 separate dies on your press? I have and use 3 different presses, a single stage for rifle and precision loading, and 2 progressive type for pistol which have room for 4 and 5 dies. You only need one press either a progressive or turret style as long as it has 4 holes for the dies, if you want a separate place for the crimping station. Different companies make most any style of press you want to use and they all make great quality ammo.
 Myself, I prefer and use Dillon dies and presses for pistol and revolver loading. If you're on this forum, more than likely you shoot Bullseye and not long range precision (100 yards plus) distances.
 My choice for dies are Dillons, my 38 special die came with a stem for wadcutters, my 45 acp die came with a stem for RN and SWC on the other end. I did buy a 38 caliber seating stem from Unique Tek that I use for SWC bullets. That die has a rim that contacts the shoulder of the SWC bullet and seats the bullet very straight in the case even if it is lined up lopsided. You probably don't need this stem, but it eases the process, and the flat WC stem that comes with the die will work.
 My biggest like about Dillon dies is that they come apart quickly for cleaning and don't lose their setting. Yes, they are great for lead bullets and work in other presses.
 Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 6/24/2023, 2:25 pm

I have a 310 tool.
Never had issues making good ammo.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

chopper and WesG like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Eindecker 6/25/2023, 6:25 pm

use a lee hand press right now.  no room for anything bigger at the moment. 

I have other hobbies and interests that take up all my time, and in fact i dont have enough room for them either..

the dilon die sounds teh best, but im worried as i am interest in wadcutters and bore riding slugs like 

157 Grain Wadcutter (.359)-359-157-WC (mattsbullets.com)

redding folks say the pro seater doesnt crimp, and could still most likely need custom machinging to possibly make it work with lead.. 

not sure if the lyman expander m die would be usefull to get.. as my speer hbwc dont bulg the cases.

Eindecker

Back to top Go down

Post by Eindecker 6/25/2023, 6:28 pm

seems the 310 tool is discontinued

Eindecker

Back to top Go down

Post by NuJudge 6/25/2023, 7:45 pm

With a Lead bullet, I typically like to separate the bullet seating from bullet crimp steps.  Otherwise, the bullet is being forced forward as the crimp is being formed.  Some of my .38 Special SWC bullets have crimp grooves where they appear designed to crimp during seating, but most of my .38 molds, and all of my .45 and .32 molds do not.  

I like the Dillon seating die for Lubricated Lead because I can disassemble the die for cleaning without losing adjustment.

NuJudge

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 6/25/2023, 8:07 pm

310 tool available used.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content