Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ultra dot question

+4
DA/SA
toddcfii
BE Mike
hengehold
8 posters

Go down

Ultra dot question Empty Ultra dot question

Post by hengehold Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:08 am

Is there a functional difference between the ultra dot Gen1 (25mm tube) and the Matchdot (30mm tube) other than the adjustable dot size? 

The smaller diameter tube seems like it is better suited for BE because the sight alignment (dot centered in the scope tube) is less of a concern if using a smaller diameter tube such as the 25mm. 

Are there any negative points to using the 25mm vs the 30mm scopes? 

For example, in highpower rifle competition a 30mm is preferred because it has a greater range of elevation available which is needed when changing yard lines. 

-Trevor

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Ultra dot question Empty Re: Ultra dot question

Post by BE Mike Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:37 am

hengehold wrote:Is there a functional difference between the ultra dot Gen1 (25mm tube) and the Matchdot (30mm tube) other than the adjustable dot size? 

The smaller diameter tube seems like it is better suited for BE because the sight alignment (dot centered in the scope tube) is less of a concern if using a smaller diameter tube such as the 25mm. 

Are there any negative points to using the 25mm vs the 30mm scopes? 

For example, in highpower rifle competition a 30mm is preferred because it has a greater range of elevation available which is needed when changing yard lines. 

-Trevor
It is really just personal preference. I started off with a 1" (25mm) UltraDot. After being influenced by some top shooters, I tried the 30mm and liked it a little better. I stuck with the 30mm.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by hengehold Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:46 pm

What do you like better about the 30mm option?

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Post by toddcfii Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:26 pm

I like 30 better also. I like it because it is easier to reacquire the bullseye after shot recoil in timed and rapid fire with rapid fire being the most helpful. I also feel less like I am peering through a tube and rather just looking at the bullseye with a red dot on it. But I think it really is personal preference. Also just so you know , the Ultradots come in 25.4 and 30 mm while the Matchdots are only 30 mm.
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:55 pm

I use both, but use apertures with both as well to reduce the diameter further, as my brain cell prefers to see concentricity. A round dot centered in a round tube with both centered on a round target.

The 30mm is a Matchdot 2 since it is on my .45 so I can easily adjust elevation at 50 yds if needed. My experience is that .22 doesn't need any adjustment from 25 to 50 yards.

If the dot isn't returning to the target and centered in the scope, it's most likely a grip issue rather than too small a scope diameter.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by toddcfii Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:28 pm

DA/SA wrote:

If the dot isn't returning to the target and centered in the scope, it's most likely a grip issue rather than too small a scope diameter.
This is funny.  That you think that is what I said and that if someone has a different preference then they must be doing something wrong. I see very very few people on the line shooting with diopters. That doesn’t mean you are doing something wrong.
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:57 am

hengehold wrote:What do you like better about the 30mm option?
Like others have said, I like the larger field of view and ease of acquiring the dot in sustained fire.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:02 am

toddcfii wrote:
DA/SA wrote:
This is funny.  That you think that is what I said...
I didn't quote anything you said, or say that something was wrong. I stated my preference and why.

If the pistol isn't basically returning back to where it started after the shot breaks, it may be more of a grip issue. A larger field of view through the scope may help though if it works for someone.

My apologies if I offended you.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by WillH Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:49 pm

Trevor-  have a 30mm UD Matchdot II mounted on a Marvel 22 45 conversion and a KC 45 -  you're welcome to shoot either one at our summer league if you'd like to to try and compare to 25mm.  I think you've got my email and phone so just let me know if you want me to bring either one evening. -Will
WillH
WillH

hengehold likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by hengehold Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:05 pm

WillH wrote:Trevor-  have a 30mm UD Matchdot II mounted on a Marvel 22 45 conversion and a KC 45 -  you're welcome to shoot either one at our summer league if you'd like to to try and compare to 25mm.  I think you've got my email and phone so just let me know if you want me to bring either one evening. -Will

Thanks will. I may take you up on that in a couple weeks. 
-T

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Post by tomd999 Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:11 pm

Hiya,
I have several of the 25mm w/2min dot and the 30mm w/adjustable dot size on various RF/CF/45 pistols. I prefer the 25mm/2 minute version for 50’ or 25 yard matches indoors. For 50/25 yard matches outdoor I prefer the 30mm set on either 2 or 4 minute (4 minute preferred as with the 2 minute I find I spend too much time, especially in slow fire polishing the sight picture rather than delivering the shot) dot size depending on lighting and how well my eyes are focusing on the target that day. (I have brutal allergies in the summer)

Tom

tomd999

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:54 am

I have a fair amount of both 1" and 30mm dots from several manufacturers. I moved dots all over the place. Played with about every combination. I've determined that the size of the scope makes very little difference to my shooting ability. I have a tiny preference for the larger tubes but more importantly I've come to realize that my pistols prefer different size scopes. I'm talking reliability. Looking at my collection today you will find my 30mm scopes on revolvers and 22's. If I have to mount it on a slide you will find 1" tubes or even smaller micro dots (h1, Holoson, Nikon etc) . I've made all the larger ones run on slides but with no measurable score improvements why fight physics.
LenV
LenV

swissyhawk and hengehold like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by hengehold Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:57 am

LenV wrote:I have a fair amount of both 1" and 30mm dots from several manufacturers. I moved dots all over the place. Played with about every combination. I've determined that the size of the scope makes very little difference to my shooting ability. I have a tiny preference for the larger tubes but more importantly I've come to realize that my pistols prefer different size scopes. I'm talking reliability. Looking at my collection today you will find my 30mm scopes on revolvers and 22's. If I have to mount it on a slide you will find 1" tubes or even smaller micro dots (h1, Holoson, Nikon etc) . I've made all the larger ones run on slides but with no measurable score improvements why fight physics.
Do you have to use hotter loads to cycle the 30mm scopes or do you change the recoil spring weight?

-T

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:38 am

I usually change the spring weight. I have a lot of 45 already loaded and it's definitely easier to fine tune with springs than making small load changes.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:43 pm

DA/SA wrote:

The 30mm is a Matchdot 2 since it is on my .45 so I can easily adjust elevation at 50 yds if needed. My experience is that .22 doesn't need any adjustment from 25 to 50 yards.

Adjustment depends on the sights. If .22 is used with iron sights there is no sight change 25 to 50 yards if 6 o'clock hold is used. 45 ball should be the same. I think 185gr Federal match is also the same. NRA targets are set-up so no sight change is needed using 6 o'clock hold due to the ring black and that's why the 50 yard 8 ring is black. Will work with any caliber that has a 2" mid-range. However if center hold is used things change. If using a scope so that the center of the bore and scope is 2", zero adjustment is needed (2" mid-range only). However assume it's 1.5", simply adjust impact at 25 yard slightly over 1/4" high at 25 yards, it will 1/4" low at 50 using center hold with scope. Scope mounts on a 1911 should be tapered so that it's parallel with the barrel bore or at least dam near. If done, any scope will easily adjust to 50 yards on the 1911 .45acp.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down