Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just when you thought you’d seen it all at Camp Perry

+8
james r chapman
shootingsight
Dcforman
mikemyers
hengehold
javaduke
SaraiEsq
SteveT
12 posters

Go down

Just when you thought you’d seen it all at Camp Perry Empty Just when you thought you’d seen it all at Camp Perry

Post by SteveT 7/12/2023, 10:10 am

After a 1 hr rain/ lightning delay on relay 1, relay 2 is shut down for “at least 90 min” because the Coast Guard is doing a search and rescue in the target zone. 

As ridiculous as it is, it’s the right thing to do and kudos to the CMP for not having us stand around for an hour and MAYBE start a little earlier. We get a break and the volunteers get lunch a little early.

Props also to the USCG for taking care of the rest of us idiots in boats.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

orpheoet, dannyd93140 and SaraiEsq like this post

Back to top Go down

Just when you thought you’d seen it all at Camp Perry Empty Re: Just when you thought you’d seen it all at Camp Perry

Post by SaraiEsq 7/12/2023, 1:05 pm

Did I see the day got cancelled because of the Coast Guard search?
SaraiEsq
SaraiEsq

Back to top Go down

Just when you thought you’d seen it all at Camp Perry Empty Re: Just when you thought you’d seen it all at Camp Perry

Post by javaduke 7/12/2023, 1:06 pm

Aaaand the whole .22 day is scrapped, no 2nd or 3rd relay, no team matches either. I wish I could go shoot my air pistol but they are not open till 7pm today. The only option I see now is to go to Jolly Roger's and stuff my face with perch and walleye.
Perry is always a surprise, and not always a pleasant one.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

x90rider, hengehold and SaraiEsq like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by hengehold 7/12/2023, 1:06 pm

Yes. All events canceled for the remainder of the day due to coast guard mission.

hengehold

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/12/2023, 1:34 pm

Dave Salyer sent me some new videos to post - just got them uploaded.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman 7/12/2023, 1:58 pm

Yeah, wild. Some young guy fell overboard off South Bass Island last night around 10:30pm. This morning, the local Coast Guard branches got involved and expanded the search to the splash zone north of Perry. As far as I know, the search continues. Sucks for everyone, but obviously sucks for that guys and his family a bit more. My thoughts go out to them.

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by shootingsight 7/12/2023, 7:49 pm

My understanding is the search will continue through tomorrow if they do not find him.
https://www.newsbreak.com/detroit-mi/3087529340120-crews-searching-for-21-year-old-who-fell-overboard-in-lake-erie

shootingsight

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 7/13/2023, 7:55 am

0900, any updates on events?
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman 7/13/2023, 8:36 am

Got a text that range 2 relay 1 was starting their last RF target at 9:02.

Dave

Dcforman

james r chapman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by shootingsight 7/13/2023, 8:37 am

USCG suspended the search last night.

https://www.mlive.com/news/2023/07/coast-guard-suspends-search-for-man-21-who-fell-overboard-in-lake-erie.html

I hope they find him, but after 36 hours inthe water, chances are slim.

shootingsight

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 7/13/2023, 10:01 am

shootingsight wrote:USCG suspended the search last night.

https://www.mlive.com/news/2023/07/coast-guard-suspends-search-for-man-21-who-fell-overboard-in-lake-erie.html

I hope they find him, but after 36 hours inthe water, chances are slim.
Even though Lake Erie is relatively shallow, it never gets that warm.  Hypothermic unconsciousness even at 70F can happen in 3-6 hours.  So it’s been 6 times that.  Bodies that drown also have a propensity to sink in fresh water.  So he’s very likely gone.  Prayers to the family.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shootingsight 7/13/2023, 10:08 am

Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm doth bind the restless wave,
Who bid'st the mighty ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep;
O hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea.

shootingsight

popchevy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 7/13/2023, 11:40 am

CF Relays 1 and 2 went quite smoothly this morning - done by about noon. Relay 3 proceeding. Overcast, but no rain so far and mild wind. Surprisingly chilly. Blue sky is peeping through at present (12.30 Thursday).

But there was an announcement that weather is forecast to be very bad on Saturday and a decision will be made on Friday night whether or not to cancel all shooting on Saturday, move the NTT, NTI, P100 to Sunday and cancel the M&P + As-Issued completely. Not a good week.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by bihammond 7/13/2023, 1:09 pm

These changes make me a little glad I didn't take time off this week to travel to Perry. Hopefully the weather straightens out for next weekend when I attend SAFS with my eldest daughter.

bihammond

Arthur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 7/13/2023, 9:11 pm

RoyDean wrote:CF Relays 1 and 2 went quite smoothly this morning - done by about noon. Relay 3 proceeding. Overcast, but no rain so far and mild wind. Surprisingly chilly. Blue sky is peeping through at present (12.30 Thursday).

But there was an announcement that weather is forecast to be very bad on Saturday and a decision will be made on Friday night whether or not to cancel all shooting on Saturday, move the NTT, NTI, P100 to Sunday and cancel the M&P + As-Issued completely. Not a good week.
per FB comment by Christine Elder, final decision on postponing NTI, P100 and NTT will happen Saturday morning. Can’t control the weather and best not to shoot in a thunderstorm.

It is funny people complain about everything and anything, if any changes made to address the complaints and people still grumble.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 7/13/2023, 9:30 pm

Chris, thanks for sharing that FB comment from Christine.

When I said "not a good week", I meant weather and lake search wise. Overall, the organisation and process this year has been good. Revolver day was terribly slow, but there were numerous issues, most of them caused by shooters (and an Eagle), rather than organisers.

Fingers crossed that the weather is better than currently forecast for Saturday.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 7/13/2023, 10:04 pm

Roy,
My comment was not directed towards you at all, just an observation of various conversions with many different people. Yes rain and wind conditions at times have not been the most ideal, but we are in a location in which drastic weather changes are the norm. Their is a common saying in Ohio, “If you don’t like the weather, wait a bit and it will change”. As you also mentioned, the Revolver match was somewhat slow, and lots had complaints about the time it took for prelims, but as mentioned earlier a significant amount of new shooters are here this week which is a great thing (especially in the long run) but it comes at the cost of a bit of time while they figure out how things work. 22 Day being interrupted by a tragedy unrelated to the match, sucks no doubt about it, and people are lamenting that CF should have been swapped with 22.

This week had thus far been quite the ride, but lots of great people are here and good stories are being told and memories are being made. Personally was cross-fired on twice, refired once, and crossfired on my neighbors target (all tens though) all with in one days worth of shooting, will likely not forget that for a long time to come.

For those looking for the TLDR,
Perry doesn’t have perfect conditions, stuff happens, but the people and memories are awesome.
chiz1180
chiz1180

bruce martindale, Dcforman, shootingsight and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 7/14/2023, 1:02 pm

We might have covered firing points next year. Rumor has it that the CMP ordered awnings for the firing line but the tent post spacing wasn't right for the targets and benches and they couldn't get corrected in time, but will be there next year. I didn't hear this from any official source, just range gossip.

cue the grumbling... we shot out in the open in the sun, rain, hail and snow, and we liked it!
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

chiz1180 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 7/14/2023, 5:00 pm

Just when you thought you’d seen it all at Camp Perry 1090c110

Definitely tough conditions today!

(😆)
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

ric1911a1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down