Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

loading data honesty

+3
james r chapman
PhotoEscape
Eindecker
7 posters

Go down

loading data honesty Empty loading data honesty

Post by Eindecker Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:59 pm

how do you really believe the loading data these days for wadcutters in the holy 38 or 357?

the alliant 96 manual has nonsensical "wadcutter" and target wadcutter" designations,  that are actually somewhat easy to interpret by chamber pressure,  30,000 cup/psi is OK for a DEWC   NOT for a HBWC... 

But for other places, lyman books actualy show a picture of what is always solid base,  others seem to be a hodgpodge of combined loads. 

Why

Eindecker

Back to top Go down

loading data honesty Empty Re: loading data honesty

Post by PhotoEscape Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:09 pm

I hit that "iceberg" with data from VV website for 32 S&W Long.  It called for 1.7 - 1.9 gr of VV N310, and I foolishly went right to the top charge trying to determine if I want to shoot this caliber.  Lesson learned (once again!).  The only answer is, - your own testing starting with less than minimal recommended charge.  However, IMO, there are trusted sources, and data published on this forum is a good data!

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:11 pm

Don’t all manuals warn to use starting charges?
Or reduce listed by 10% to start?
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:16 pm

Lyman has always featured lead bullets from their molds.  None of these were hollow base Wadcutters.  There were/are some loads for HBWC in 357 cases, but not many.  One I did find was in an old Winchester data pamphlet was 3.4 231 giving 16000 psi.  I personally loaded some Speer HBWC in 357 cases using 4.5 Unique some years ago.  No issues with performance, but I found no advantage over 38 Special brass loaded with 3.5 Unique, so I discontinued the practice.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 8eightring Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:33 pm

I tried some of the loads on here with 38 cal. 148 grain HBWC. I ended up with two holes in the target with every round fire. I was blowing the shirts off the bullets.
Approach all reloading data with caution.
8eightring
8eightring

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:06 pm

What loads?
2.7 bullseye?
3.1 ww231?
2.8 wst????
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eindecker Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:21 pm

some loads just dont match, even for basic translation.. everywhere lists 3 grains red dot as max for 148 hbwc in 38 special.  yet the 96 alliant manual puts 2.8 grains as max.. 

very little to denote hollow base from solid base in the actual load data these days. its rather odd

Eindecker

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyd93140 Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:25 pm

Today, instead of buying a manual just go to the manufacturer's website and get the latest data.
dannyd93140
dannyd93140

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:28 pm

dannyd93140 wrote:Today, instead of buying a manual just go to the manufacturer's website and get the latest data.
Please re-read my earlier post on this thread.  At least on one occasion manufacturers data was wrong.  I suspect, there are others.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:53 pm

Eindecker wrote:some loads just dont match, even for basic translation.. everywhere lists 3 grains red dot as max for 148 hbwc in 38 special.  yet the 96 alliant manual puts 2.8 grains as max.. 

very little to denote hollow base from solid base in the actual load data these days. its rather odd
From my experiments with Red Dot in 38 Special,HBWC reloads I would use current data and never exceed 2.9 grains.  I had a friend check these Red Dot loads in Quickload, and the 2.9 grains load was at SAAMI max for standard 38 Special Ammo.  I also checked with an Allianz technician and the current RedDot is slightly different that the Oder pre-1990 made RedDot.  It’s similar enough in shotguns where it’s intended for use, fpbut the current lots are just a bit hotter in pistol.  See my chrono results below.  The gun used was a 10 inch Thompson-Contender.loading data honesty Img_1011
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyd93140 Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:59 pm

PhotoEscape wrote:
dannyd93140 wrote:Today, instead of buying a manual just go to the manufacturer's website and get the latest data.
Please re-read my earlier post on this thread.  At least on one occasion manufacturers data was wrong.  I suspect, there are others.

AP
Sorry, I don't use that powder, but the Hodgdon website has worked for me and their data is on the mark.
dannyd93140
dannyd93140

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:57 am

Greetings,

One method for load development is this...

Buy a box of commercial ammo you want to duplicate. WadCutter, FMJ, SemiWadcutter, etc...

Chronograph ten rounds out of your gun to get an average.

Now, load your own with a bullet that is as close to the factory one that you can get.

Adjust the powder until you match the velocity of the commercial ammo.

Bear in mind the reloading books are not always geared toward Bullseye shooters.

The old Speer manuals had two 38 Special HBWC sections. One for revolvers and a second for the S&W M52.

The Speer guys posted rather "honest" velocities as they tested in real guns, not pressure barrels.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

BE Mike, Arthur, RoyDean and shanneba like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Eindecker Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:36 pm

other then lyman, im not really finding any damned interest in the loading data to seperate hollow based wadcutters from double ended wadcutters. 

We can agree that the alliant 96 manual puts out 2.8 grains of bullseye in a 357 case for a target wadcutter load, that we can assume is a hollow base wadcutter. but the non target wadcutter load of 5.7 grains bullseye is most likely for a double ended wadcutter considering the estimated chamber pressure is 34,000 pressure units... instead of the estimated 14,000 with the 2.8 grains. 

We can assume the swagged hollow base wadcutter is NOT a good idea with the 5.7 grain load, but can we assume the 2.8 grain charge is safe with a double ended wadcutter

Eindecker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down