Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Holosun Dot sights

+4
james r chapman
L. Boscoe
Wobbley
Rodger Barthlow
8 posters

Go down

Holosun Dot sights Empty Holosun Dot sights

Post by Rodger Barthlow 9/1/2023, 10:05 pm

I was curious if any one is using these sights on their pistols? 
I have cataracts in my eyes and don't see a round red dot,
I see where they offer a green and gold 2MOA dot sight and was curious if they look round to people with cataracts instead of flared and out of round ?
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Holosun Dot sights Empty Re: Holosun Dot sights

Post by Wobbley 9/1/2023, 11:33 pm

Here is a video on point.  Not all dots are the same…

https://youtu.be/Dz8LPDm6Of0?si=UU9FB7OGWGCoVJOl

As for Holosun, I have one, a 507c, on a  carry pistol.   It works and was just about spot on for zero after just bolting it on.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow 9/2/2023, 7:20 am

Thanks for the link.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe 9/2/2023, 1:09 pm

I have several Holosun dots, all 2 moa - they are not as helpful as a 
tube dot, but a lot lighter. I find them very reliable
I had cataracts, shot without issue with the dots, although they were
not a fine point.  I now have had the cataract surgery, and still use
the dots without any issue, although the dots look a bit sharper.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 9/2/2023, 1:19 pm

The Holosun 530 is expensive but a nice 30mm dot

Holosun Dot sights F6e02310
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder 9/3/2023, 6:15 am

Good Morning Rodger:

I have been down this road and also was captain of a pistol team who regularly assisted newbies setting up their equipment and getting the best dot. 

Both my self and the people that I have assisted have had astigmatism.  it is not easy but can be accommodated in the search for a red dot to get acceptable performance.  

If you have astigmatism, you probably wear glasses and if you do not, you probably will be shortly.  Your first stop should be your ophthalmologist and optometrist to get a complete eye exam and talk with your optometrist to get a prescription for the correct focal distance for your glasses.  Inform him you will be using your prescription for handgun competition and make sure he measures you with a tape measure (crotch of thumb to eyeball).  Unfortunately, many optometrists will simply specify "computer" glasses which have a focal length of 18 to 24 inches as opposed to what you need it to be, 28 to 34 inches.  You will be able to use your shooting glasses on your computer but not visa versa.  

Next you want to make sure you select the correct style of red dot.  Tube or reflex.  Bullseye shooters like the tube style because of the easy repeatable adjustments since we frequently re-zero and need the precison that tese offer.  the IDPA guys like the reflex sights for the unclutters sight picture while they do not require the accuracy that bullseye shooters do.  

I recommend a rheostat rotary dial brightness adjustment knob.  Occasionally I will turn off the pushbutton red dots in the middle of a match when I am simply trying to increase the brightness one click.  A rotary rheostat is almost idiot proof.  

I have experience with all the below reddots and own at least one of each, I recommend all of them although some are better than others.  

Aimpoint:   Excellent dot, excellent no question warranty, expensive, excellent optics.  Models:  H-1, H-2, 9000 SC, 9000L.   The 9000 series are out of production and heavy but frequently seen on the bullseye line because they are awesome scopes.  

Holosun:  Their Tube style dots are excellent to very good, they got a variety of models including a rotary adjustment one.  Economical.  

Sig Sauer:  Their Romeo 5 is a excellent red dot although it is a pushbutton operation.  Excellent dots

SPECIAL MENTION:   the Discontinued Sig Sauer STS-081 sometimes becomes available on eBay, sometimes new in box, sometimes slightly used.  watch the mount because sometimes it is a low mount and sometimes it is a high mount.  The dot quality on this red dot is excellent on every example that I have seen (and I have seee quite a few) and it is a rotary adjustment rheostat controlled brightness.  Of particular interest is that the rheostat on most models is on the left hand side of the dot which makes brightness adjustments more intuitive as opposed to the Aimpoint H-2 which has it on the Right hand side.  Dot is excellent.  

C-More railway sight:  Yeah this is a reflex but it has the purest dot I have ever seen.   Windage and elevation adjustments are not precise but you can get it zeroed with a bit of patience.  Batteries do not last long so buy them by the gross on amazon.  

Trijicon Reflex  (MRO).  Excellent dot, expensive, has the limitations of a reflex sight.  

I own all of the above along with some examples of other sights that I do not recommend.  I shoot a Aimpoint H-2 on my Pardini and a Sig Sauer STS-081 on my Steyr LP-50.   Do not shoot centerfire much anymore but have a aimpoint 9000L on the 45.  

Hope this helps you out!

Crankster
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Amanda4461 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by xmastershooter 9/3/2023, 8:09 am

If you have astigmatism, you probably wear glasses and if you do not, you probably will be shortly.  Your first stop should be your ophthalmologist and optometrist to get a complete eye exam and talk with your optometrist to get a prescription for the correct focal distance for your glasses.  Inform him you will be using your prescription for handgun competition and make sure he measures you with a tape measure (crotch of thumb to eyeball).  Unfortunately, many optometrists will simply specify "computer" glasses which have a focal length of 18 to 24 inches as opposed to what you need it to be, 28 to 34 inches.  You will be able to use your shooting glasses on your computer but not visa versa.  
Perhaps I'm not reading correctly but this is describing an Rx for iron sights.  For scopes with dots, the shooter will be needing the best distance Rx, although it may vary slightly due to the wavelength of red which some may notice.

xmastershooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow 9/3/2023, 8:49 am

CrankyThunder wrote:Good Morning Rodger:

I have been down this road and also was captain of a pistol team who regularly assisted newbies setting up their equipment and getting the best dot. 

Both my self and the people that I have assisted have had astigmatism.  it is not easy but can be accommodated in the search for a red dot to get acceptable performance.  

Next you want to make sure you select the correct style of red dot.  Tube or reflex.  Bullseye shooters like the tube style because of the easy repeatable adjustments since we frequently re-zero and need the precison that tese offer.  the IDPA guys like the reflex sights for the unclutters sight picture while they do not require the accuracy that bullseye shooters do.  

I recommend a rheostat rotary dial brightness adjustment knob.  Occasionally I will turn off the pushbutton red dots in the middle of a match when I am simply trying to increase the brightness one click.  A rotary rheostat is almost idiot proof.  

I have experience with all the below reddots and own at least one of each, I recommend all of them although some are better than others.  

Aimpoint:   Excellent dot, excellent no question warranty, expensive, excellent optics.  Models:  H-1, H-2, 9000 SC, 9000L.   The 9000 series are out of production and heavy but frequently seen on the bullseye line because they are awesome scopes.  

Holosun:  Their Tube style dots are excellent to very good, they got a variety of models including a rotary adjustment one.  Economical.  

Sig Sauer:  Their Romeo 5 is a excellent red dot although it is a pushbutton operation.  Excellent dots

SPECIAL MENTION:   the Discontinued Sig Sauer STS-081 sometimes becomes available on eBay, sometimes new in box, sometimes slightly used.  watch the mount because sometimes it is a low mount and sometimes it is a high mount.  The dot quality on this red dot is excellent on every example that I have seen (and I have seee quite a few) and it is a rotary adjustment rheostat controlled brightness.  Of particular interest is that the rheostat on most models is on the left hand side of the dot which makes brightness adjustments more intuitive as opposed to the Aimpoint H-2 which has it on the Right hand side.  Dot is excellent.  

C-More railway sight:  Yeah this is a reflex but it has the purest dot I have ever seen.   Windage and elevation adjustments are not precise but you can get it zeroed with a bit of patience.  Batteries do not last long so buy them by the gross on amazon.  

Trijicon Reflex  (MRO).  Excellent dot, expensive, has the limitations of a reflex sight.  

I own all of the above along with some examples of other sights that I do not recommend.  I shoot a Aimpoint H-2 on my Pardini and a Sig Sauer STS-081 on my Steyr LP-50.   Do not shoot centerfire much anymore but have a aimpoint 9000L on the 45.  

Hope this helps you out!

Crankster
Thanks for the info. I have talked to my Optometrist about it and just recently had an eye exam so I know until I can have the cataract removed I'll have to put up with it.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by PeteG 9/23/2023, 2:37 am

I have both an astigmatism and early cataracts. The out of shape dot you're seeing (often like a comet) is a result of an astigmatism, which won't go away by having your cataracts removed.

Cataracts are a loss of clarity of the lens of the eye which is inside the eye behind the pupil, and which will progressively make the dot look pale and blurred (like looking through a dirty window) until you have a new artificial lens fitted. 

However, the out of shape dot is the result of an astigmatism, which is caused by an oval or out of round surface on the outside of the eye.

You correct an astigmatism with laser eye surgery to reshape the outer surface of the eye.

If you have a cataract and an astigmatism, then you are looking at two separate and completely different operations to correct both issues.

PeteG

Back to top Go down

Post by pittpa 9/27/2023, 7:04 am

Rodger Barthlow wrote:I was curious if any one is using these sights on their pistols? 
I have cataracts in my eyes and don't see a round red dot,
I see where they offer a green and gold 2MOA dot sight and was curious if they look round to people with cataracts instead of flared and out of round ?

FWIW I have astigmatism and floaters, although the floaters have lessened.  I use a Merit sight device to ease the starburst effect of my dots.

Holosun Dot sights ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.explicit.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP
pittpa
pittpa

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow 9/27/2023, 7:49 am

Thanks for the info.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by pittpa 9/27/2023, 8:21 am

Rodger Barthlow wrote:Thanks for the info.

Rodger, I did not like it at first, but when it became a bit of a necessity, it was no problem getting used to it.  
Obviously works for open sights.  I feel the depth of field allows me to keep my sights and a 50 foot target in focus at the same time, not that everybody wants that. It certainly makes for a sharp open sight picture.
pittpa
pittpa

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 9/27/2023, 8:43 am

I find that using my +.75 iron sight glasses with my dot has improved my scores. No scoring ring distraction
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down