Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two Red Dots

+6
BE Mike
RoyDean
Allgoodhits
SteveT
tomd999
jobo10811
10 posters

Go down

Two Red Dots Empty Two Red Dots

Post by jobo10811 Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:03 am

Could one, theoretically, mount two (2), separate red dot sights on a single pistol?  The idea would be to avoid the need to adjust one's sights between targets at 50 and 25 yards. Or, would this be precluded by the rules?  Thank you!

jobo10811

Back to top Go down

Two Red Dots Empty Re: Two Red Dots

Post by tomd999 Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:56 pm

Hiya,

You might want to give Riley Gilmore at Tulsa Firearms a call. Back in the late 80’s/early 90’s he made me a few custom red dot Tasco’s for the Bianchi Cup, Second Chance and Steel Challenge tournaments. These were PDP2’s, one with 3 horizontal 4 minute dots spaced to lead the “mover” and the other 2 with 40 minute single dots for the speed work. He might be able to make you a 2 dot vertical arrangement, if he can, let me know, I’ll try one on my 52.

tomd999

jobo10811 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:12 pm

I don't think it would be a good idea, but it wouldn't be against the rules. In open division or match pistol there are no restrictions on sights except you can't project anything on target.

I don't get why people make such a big deal about adjusting between 25 and 50.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:21 pm

Not practical at all for trying to address such a relatively small sight change which for most applications is only 4 -10 clicks to deal with 50 and 25 yd differences. Such small difference with multiple vertical dots, would probably look like a vertical figure 8. On a bright day when you had to dial up the brightness they probably would merge into an elongated starburst.

Instead get a scope with a manually (no tool) adjustable vertical turret. UltraDot makes such a scope and there are folks who make an adapter to existing turrets for other brands of optics to simplify and ease the constant sight adjusting on the vertical plane.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:08 am

Or, even easier, choose some ammo that shoots "flat" between 25 and 50. All of my 22 and my match 45 does.

RoyDean

shanneba and jobo10811 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:06 am

SteveT wrote:I don't think it would be a good idea, but it wouldn't be against the rules. In open division or match pistol there are no restrictions on sights except you can't project anything on target.

A lot of red dot sights don't have precise and/or repeatable sight adjustments for elevation and windage. I think those sights should not be considered for bullseye pistol shooting.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:11 pm

BE Mike wrote:
SteveT wrote:I don't think it would be a good idea, but it wouldn't be against the rules. In open division or match pistol there are no restrictions on sights except you can't project anything on target.

A lot of red dot sights don't have precise and/or repeatable sight adjustments for elevation and windage. I think those sights should not be considered for bullseye pistol shooting.

UltraDot makes such as scope. I think there are a lot of folks who use UltraDot scopes in BE.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

BE Mike and jobo10811 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by whitel Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:13 pm

jobo10811 wrote:Could one, theoretically, mount two (2), separate red dot sights on a single pistol?  The idea would be to avoid the need to adjust one's sights between targets at 50 and 25 yards. Or, would this be precluded by the rules?  Thank you!
Hey Jobo10811,
You can put two red dot sights on one pistol, but it's not very practical, and some shooting contests might not allow it. It's better to follow the rules of the event and use one red dot sight that you can adjust for different target distances.

whitel

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:56 pm

RoyDean wrote:Or, even easier, choose some ammo that shoots "flat" between 25 and 50. All of my 22 and my match 45 does.
Jack O’Connor would be proud! Laughing
TonyH
TonyH

shanneba likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:06 am

Allgoodhits wrote:
BE Mike wrote:

UltraDot makes such as scope. I think there are a lot of folks who use UltraDot scopes in BE.
Yep, sometimes old school is still the best solution!
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:32 pm

RoyDean wrote:Or, even easier, choose some ammo that shoots "flat" between 25 and 50. All of my 22 and my match 45 does.
Yep, high rings (stock ultra dots - oops!) on my Ruger 22 when I used to shoot it was same PoI at 25 and 50 yards. On its way up at 25 and back down at 50 yards I believe.

Now with irons I have to adjust, as it's different relation to bore
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:58 pm

Why stop at two? They make these with rails on each side also. You could have one for 50ft, 25yd, 50yd and 50m. Or buy a Ultradot Matchdot ll and save some money. And strange looks.Two Red Dots Screen46
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down