Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the Suitability of MIM Parts for Bullseye Pistol Competition Gun

+2
chiz1180
BE Mike
6 posters

Go down

What is the Suitability of MIM Parts for Bullseye Pistol Competition Gun Empty What is the Suitability of MIM Parts for Bullseye Pistol Competition Gun

Post by BE Mike 11/19/2023, 8:46 am

Would anyone here use MIM sear/ hammer for a trigger job on a 1911? If so, do you think it would hold very well?
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

What is the Suitability of MIM Parts for Bullseye Pistol Competition Gun Empty Re: What is the Suitability of MIM Parts for Bullseye Pistol Competition Gun

Post by chiz1180 11/19/2023, 9:14 am

I have but only in a pinch (e.g. waiting on parts that are backordered). In 2022 my backup ball gun had MIM hammer/sear. In the context of the backup that was not shot with regularity it was fine. I would not use in a primary gun. 

In my primary ball gun, I just had the MIM firing pin stop break, it took a while 5-6k rounds over the last few years. 

A good comparison could be knife(tool) steel vs cold rolled steel from the hardware store. You can put an edge on both, and both could be effective at a given task for a  time. However the longevity of the tool steel edge will be longer.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

What is the Suitability of MIM Parts for Bullseye Pistol Competition Gun Empty Re: What is the Suitability of MIM Parts for Bullseye Pistol Competition Gun

Post by NukeMMC 11/19/2023, 10:12 am

I did a trigger job on my 1st Range Officer while I was waiting on the EGW order to come in. It did ok, but my reasoning, left over from USPSA days, is why risk the failure, especially of the ignition parts, for $150 in quality machined parts. Ever had a 1911 go full auto on the 50yd line? I did ... not fun. Hammer hooks rounded and didn't have enough sear engagement. That was early days of MIM (late 80s?). Not sure if itvis improved now. Why risk it?
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 11/19/2023, 2:21 pm

chiz1180 wrote:I have but only in a pinch (e.g. waiting on parts that are backordered). In 2022 my backup ball gun had MIM hammer/sear. In the context of the backup that was not shot with regularity it was fine. I would not use in a primary gun. 

In my primary ball gun, I just had the MIM firing pin stop break, it took a while 5-6k rounds over the last few years. 

A good comparison could be knife(tool) steel vs cold rolled steel from the hardware store. You can put an edge on both, and both could be effective at a given task for a  time. However the longevity of the tool steel edge will be longer.
I had a series 70 Colt firing pin break. I guess it was a forged part. Dry firing probably contributed as much to it as shooting. I always carried a spare + an extractor in my gun box.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 11/19/2023, 3:42 pm

BE Mike,
I keep spares on hand in my parts kit but if I have a parts failure in a match, it is time to swap to a backup gun. In my opinion a match is not the place to troubleshoot a broken gun, rushing to try and fix something has a high potential of becoming an unsafe condition. I am blessed to be able to have excellent primary and back up equipment. I realize that is not the case for everyone, however keeping things simple make having a back up easier. For the 2023 season, my wadgun backup was my service pistol. I also brought a second service pistol to larger matches that could serve as a backup or be loaned to another shooter on the line.
chiz1180
chiz1180

BE Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 11/19/2023, 5:14 pm

From what I've heard, the MIM technology has improved quite a bit, and many parts are just as good as if they were machined from the bar stock. However, based on my personal experience with MIM parts, they mostly appear to be only surface hardened, not all the way through. So as soon as you stone your MIM sear past the hardened layer, it's ruined. Again, can't say this is the case with ALL MIM parts, just the ones that I've personally handled and worked on.
Top quality parts, of course, are expensive, but my motto is "buy once, cry once". EGW, C&S, Ed Brown, many others, sell good parts that last forever.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Slamfire likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 11/19/2023, 8:43 pm

javaduke wrote:Top quality parts, of course, are expensive, but my motto is "buy once, cry once". EGW, C&S, Ed Brown, many others, sell good parts that last forever.
+1 to quality parts. Unfortunately they always are not in stock when you need them.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 11/20/2023, 1:57 pm

chiz1180 wrote:BE Mike,
I keep spares on hand in my parts kit but if I have a parts failure in a match, it is time to swap to a backup gun. In my opinion a match is not the place to troubleshoot a broken gun, rushing to try and fix something has a high potential of becoming an unsafe condition. I am blessed to be able to have excellent primary and back up equipment. I realize that is not the case for everyone, however keeping things simple make having a back up easier. For the 2023 season, my wadgun backup was my service pistol. I also brought a second service pistol to larger matches that could serve as a backup or be loaned to another shooter on the line.
I agree. When I was actively competing, I had a backup pistol in my gun box at matches where I'd shoot one gun at a time. When I was going to travel to another match immediately, i.e. Canton to Perry, having a few spare parts, especially a pre-fitted extractor, could help me get my primary pistol back in operation without worrying. I also carried a recoil spring cap, as they could be launched and not found. At local matches, I usually kept my backup pistols in my vehicle, as it was close by.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 11/27/2023, 8:56 pm

MIM parts can get you a serviceable trigger job but it will not last long. If you are having a gunsmith do a proper trigger job get good parts. I use extreme engineering, but people love EGW too.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Slamfire 12/3/2023, 1:21 pm

I have worn out three sears and one hammer on my Clackamus Kimber. They were MIM. I don't trust MIM. I have fired more rounds through my Les Baer Wadcutter, I assume the parts are bar stock, and the hammer/sears have not followed.

Slamfire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down