Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaning a Walther GSP Expert

5 posters

Go down

Cleaning a Walther GSP Expert Empty Cleaning a Walther GSP Expert

Post by ssauer2004 1/5/2014, 9:51 am

New to the forum!

What products are people using to clean their GSP Experts?  I have been using Breakfree but was looking for some new ideas.  The lower portion of the GSP Expert is not made of metal, so is there any products you stay away from?
ssauer2004
ssauer2004

Back to top Go down

Cleaning a Walther GSP Expert Empty Re: Cleaning a Walther GSP Expert

Post by togfish 1/5/2014, 7:10 pm

I use the CLP on the barrel and upper mechanisms. 
 I use only a good flushing with WD-40 as instructed by Earl's Repair Service, whom I bought the gun from, for the trigger assembly. Remove the trigger assembly and spray it out good. Set it aside to drip dry on a rag. He also sells a pure brass brush for the barrel if you need to brush it. This is my 3rd year with the gun and have had only 1 fail to feed (I allowed wax from the CCI SV to build up on the feed ramp) and 1 fail to fire (dud round). This after about 15,000 rounds. Exceptional reliability with little maintenance. Smile
togfish
togfish

Back to top Go down

Post by togfish 1/5/2014, 7:11 pm

Oh, and Welcome to the forum!
togfish
togfish

Back to top Go down

Post by ssauer2004 1/5/2014, 7:51 pm

togfish wrote:I use the CLP on the barrel and upper mechanisms. 
 I use only a good flushing with WD-40 as instructed by Earl's Repair Service, whom I bought the gun from, for the trigger assembly. Remove the trigger assembly and spray it out good. Set it aside to drip dry on a rag. He also sells a pure brass brush for the barrel if you need to brush it. This is my 3rd year with the gun and have had only 1 fail to feed (I allowed wax from the CCI SV to build up on the feed ramp) and 1 fail to fire (dud round). This after about 15,000 rounds. Exceptional reliability with little maintenance. Smile
I appreciate the reply.  I also purchased my GSP Expert from Earl. I have never had a malfunction since I've owned the gun.  I usually use Eley Sport and SK Standard rounds. I also always keep magazines clean.  I'm not a fan of the CCI wax build-up and discontinued using them.  I use a nylon brush to clean the bore.  I guess I'll just continue to use Breakfree.
ssauer2004
ssauer2004

Back to top Go down

Cleaning a Walther GSP Expert Empty Cleaning GSP Advice

Post by ae1m 12/6/2015, 8:12 pm

I am new to my GSP Expert.  Have over 1000rds through it.  Have cleaned the bore and whatever I could reach in the barrel.  Saw the advice about taking the trigger assembly out and douching with WD40.  Can you comment on taking the barrel apart?  Any surprises?  I see the instructions of pushing a small pin through the hole and taking the cocking lever out, what happens next?  Easy to take apart and clean?

Thanks,
Bob

ae1m

Back to top Go down

Post by togfish 12/7/2015, 5:02 am

Once you push the cross piece out, it comes apart about as far as you need to go. No real surprises. I just follow the owner's  manual step by step. It is easier than many other firearms I have. Hope this helps.
togfish
togfish

Back to top Go down

Post by ae1m 12/7/2015, 6:00 am

togfish wrote:Once you push the cross piece out, it comes apart about as far as you need to go. No real surprises. I just follow the owner's  manual step by step. It is easier than many other firearms I have. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply.  My manual has one sentence on this topic, how to push a pin thru the hole and remove the cocking lever, nothing furhter, not pics or drawings beyond that.   I will go for it.  I have many other guns, all seem to have some details it is imortant to know something about when field stripping, so I was just a bit concerned.  Not many around, so not many to discuss with!  

Again, thanks for the reply.

Bob L

ae1m

Back to top Go down

Post by Buggman 12/10/2015, 5:14 pm

I clean bore with either clp or hoppes than a friend of mine who has had GSP's for 30 plus years  told me about Marvel mystery oil very light coat on bolt i have been doing that not one malfunction and i use Aguila standard velocity and CCI SV. I clean my GSP expert every 500 rds.

Last edited by Buggman on 12/10/2015, 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : miss spelling)
Buggman
Buggman

Back to top Go down

Post by ae1m 12/10/2015, 5:30 pm

Buggman wrote:I clean bore with either clp or hoppes than a friend of mine who has had GSP's for 30 plus years  told me about Marvel mystery oil very light coat on bolt i have been doing that not one malfunction and i use Aguila standard velocity and CCI SV. I clean my GSP expert every 500 rds.

I am looking for guidance taking the bolt apart.  Nothing in the manual except push a pin into the hole and push the cocking lever through.  What next?  Are there springs inside, how far down further to clean.  First gun I've owned where there was no Youtube video showing!

Bob

ae1m

Back to top Go down

Post by KelseyECS 12/17/2015, 8:02 pm

{Second try ... my computer glitched the first attempt}

I have an original GSP, not the Expert, but I believe that I know what you're referring to. 

There's a small hole directly underneath the cocking lever in the upper receiver.  By pushing a toothpick (or similar tool) into this hole you can depress the small spring-loaded pin that holds the cocking lever in place.  While you are depressing this spring you can move the cocking lever to the side and it simply slides out of the bolt.  Once the cocking lever is out the bolt will slide out the front of the upper receiver.  There aren't any springs that will fly when you do this.

The cocking lever is held in place with this small spring-loaded pin, it just needs a bit of a push to allow the cocking lever to slide out.  For reassembly you just slide it back into place until the pin pops into the same hole.

Regarding ammunition, if the Eley Sport is the "Mexican Eley" that I once possessed (and in a full case quantity), I would avoid it.  I found it to be dirty and underpowered for semi-auto's.  Fortunately the GSP is a very clean shooting pistol.  I used it in my Victor and it gunked up in nothing flat.  I'm a big fan of CCI standard velocity; a little more ooomph to cycle the pistol and reduce bore time and by far the most reliable primers of any rimfire round in their price class.  But to each their own.

Let me know if my disassembly explanation doesn't make sense.

KelseyECS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down