Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do “Target Grips” Help?

+3
Pinetree
SteveT
JGW006
7 posters

Go down

Do “Target Grips” Help? Empty Do “Target Grips” Help?

Post by JGW006 Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:12 pm

I have a Ruger Mk II and S&W 41, both with original / stock grips.

Would “target” grips be a meaningful addition in helping me keep the pistol steady?

JGW006

Back to top Go down

Do “Target Grips” Help? Empty Re: Do “Target Grips” Help?

Post by SteveT Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:52 pm

As with most things in bullseye... it depends. I would not expect an automatic improvement, although many people prefer them.

If you can grip your pistol consistently and with a steady and reasonably comfortable hold, then no, you probably won't see much difference and it might even hurt your scores.

Ortho grips allow a different grip angle and have more surface area and features so it is possible to adapt the grip to your hand and wrist and there can me more points that you can use as "indicators" for when the grip is correct.

For international shooters who always shoot at consistent temperature perfectly fitting grips can be an advantage. Bullseye matches are commonly shot at temperatures between 40's and 100's, sometimes even more extreme. The hand will swell or shrink so a grip that fits perfectly at 75 degrees may not be right in a hot or cold match.

The use of ortho grips in bullseye is very common for target 22's but not when shooting a 1911. Certainly a lot less common than it was 20 years ago.

FWIW I tried both Volquartson and Herrett grips on my Ruger. I am not sure it helped. I use the standard ortho grips on my FWB only slightly modified. I shoot standard slab sides on my 1911's.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinetree Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:05 pm

I have Herrett Nationals on both of my pistols and I think they help.

But the price of them has almost tripled since I bought them, so there's that.
Pinetree
Pinetree

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:20 pm

I have found they don't work for me with either the .22 or 45.  When I use ortho grips, I lose the abililty to feel the trigger as well.  So less is better for me.  Since I shoot a conversion 22, its slabs on everything.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:46 pm

I prefer slabs and I find ergo grips have a tendency to irritate my tennis elbow. I think if you have large hands then maybe there is more benefit. 

Shooting Iron sites is another story, I much prefer ergo's as a well fitted grip helps with site alignment, recovery
 and consistency. If you are shooting a nose heavy gun like a Benelli or a Pardini then the ergos will help manage the weight of the gun. 

My two cents.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:21 pm

I have large hands, I inherited my fathers S&W Mod 52 with the fancy target grips, have not shot them yet. but on the rest of my 1911  .45's  I have standard slabs with the left slab has a cut out(scallop) for your thumb to the mag eject button, This groove if you will, really helps me to grip the pistol and control it.
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by JRV Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:37 pm

I love my ortho grips from Andrew at Precision Target Pistol Grips.

Do “Target Grips” Help? Img_3810

I struggle with orthos on a .45. There’s something about the heavier trigger that makes my hand hurt with orthos. I really have to grip the .45 to lock my wrist, even with light loads, and the more “open” hand position of orthos causes some discomfort.

But, on a .22, with the lighter trigger, they shine. Something about the 100% contact with my hand and locked-in finger position makes it easier to isolate my trigger movement. When I run my irons conversion, I can raise the gun to eyeline for CMP shortline strings and have a consistent sight picture every time.

I think, looking at Pardini’s product line, it makes sense… .45s have slabs, and the .22s all come with adjustable orthos.

JRV

bruce martindale likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down