Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frame mounted vs. slide mounted optic

+2
KBarth
Dlakejr2876
6 posters

Go down

Frame mounted vs. slide mounted optic Empty Frame mounted vs. slide mounted optic

Post by Dlakejr2876 1/7/2024, 8:48 am

A new shooter here looking to jump right into the fire.  Have been posting this weekend and just realized I need 5 posts to be able to respond back.  I am aggressively looking for a solid 1911 45acp for bullseye, which brought up the question at hand.

Dlakejr2876

Back to top Go down

Frame mounted vs. slide mounted optic Empty Re: Frame mounted vs. slide mounted optic

Post by KBarth 1/7/2024, 9:43 am

I think 95% or more high masters use a slide mount. I only know of one high master that uses a frame mount
KBarth
KBarth

Dlakejr2876 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Frame mounted vs. slide mounted optic Empty Re: Frame mounted vs. slide mounted optic

Post by RoyDean 1/7/2024, 9:45 am

As far as I know (AFAIK) all of the top level and serious bullseye shooters are using slide mounted red dots for both CF and 45 class competition on 191145ACP pistols. Many, but not all, are using Kodiak mounts with Aimpoint 9000sc red dots. Many, but not all, are using threaded extension tubes on those 9000 red dots, often from Photoescape, but there are others.

I, a mere mortal, have chosen to copy those Elite shooters, and find that arrangement very satisfying.

YMMV

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 1/7/2024, 9:54 am

I have both, I most often shoot a slide mount. With a few exceptions a frame mount is often heavier than a slide mount and places the weight (and scope centerline) higher.

A frame mount is a bit more cumbersome to clean, but you can run lighter loads with a frame mount that a slide mount. It is a bit more involved to mount a frame mount than a slide mount as well. 

It honestly doesn't matter either way both are viable.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinetree 1/7/2024, 11:50 am

I'm the only one on our team that uses a frame mount. My gun chucks brass halfway across the range with a #14 spring. (I'm guessing it's due to the lack of mass on the slide.)

Other than that, I don't think it matters. I hadn't yet started to shoot Bullseye when I had it mounted.

If I ever get another Bullseye pistol, it'll be slide mounted if only to eliminate the cost of the mount.. plus Weigand no longer sells the drill fixtures and my favorite gunsmith recently passed away.

Pinetree
Pinetree

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 1/7/2024, 12:11 pm

Slide mount is more common and maybe slightly easier to clean. There is no real difference in accuracy.

Some people like the extra mass on the slide which slows things down so recoil feels like a softer push. The scope makes a convenient handle to cycle the slide. 

Some people prefer the faster, sharper recoil impulse of a frame mount (or open sights) that recovers back to the target faster. 

The comments above are right. Most shooters have slide mount. A few of us just can't get used to it and shoot a frame mount. If you can try both before committing, that is best. If not, start with a slide mount.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

STEVE SAMELAK and Dlakejr2876 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down