Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Powder Transfer Unit / Powder Funnel for 38 Special Wadcutter Sticking

+3
KBarth
Merick
valbern67
7 posters

Go down

Powder Transfer Unit / Powder Funnel for 38 Special Wadcutter Sticking Empty Powder Transfer Unit / Powder Funnel for 38 Special Wadcutter Sticking

Post by valbern67 Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:45 pm

Hi All~

I have PhotoEscape's Powder Xfer Unit/Powder Funnel for loading 38 Special HBWC. It has begun sticking inside the brass to the point where I have strained my shoulder to remove it on the upstroke on my Hornady LnL AP. I have it in a dedicated station on the press and not as part of the powder station.

I use the same Winchester and Federal brass from previous firings, cleaned and dried.

I have consulted with Alex and he has suggested fine steel wool to clean it and using a spray of One Shot as necessary. I have cleaned it and am having to spray the One Shot after every 2 or 3 cases.

Any more suggestions? Help!

Val

alien
valbern67
valbern67

Back to top Go down

Powder Transfer Unit / Powder Funnel for 38 Special Wadcutter Sticking Empty Re: Powder Transfer Unit / Powder Funnel for 38 Special Wadcutter Sticking

Post by Merick Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:55 pm

You need to adjust your die so the pull action is closer to the end of the ram stroke where all the mechanical advantage is. No experience with photoescape products, but with my lee flaring die I move the die body up and the flaring plug down, sometimes with a spacer even.

Merick

Back to top Go down

Powder Transfer Unit / Powder Funnel for 38 Special Wadcutter Sticking Empty Re: Powder Transfer Unit / Powder Funnel for 38 Special Wadcutter Sticking

Post by KBarth Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:06 pm

If you are wet tumbling your brass, it may be because the brass is too clean.  You can spray the brass with case lube
KBarth
KBarth

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottB Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:26 pm

KBarth wrote:If you are wet tumbling your brass, it may be because the brass is too clean.  You can spray the brass with case lube
Exactly.....I had the same issue with brass sticking.  I quit using the stainless steel pins when tumbling and the problem went away.

ScottB

valbern67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by expendable Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:04 pm

If this is the one the expands fairly deep into the brass, I had the same problem on my 550 so bad that I thought I would break a link. 

I returned it and swapped it out for one of his standard M type expanders.

expendable

Back to top Go down

Post by rburk Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:47 pm

I use Hornady One Shot, don't be afraid to spray some into the case mouths.  When I wet tumble my 45 cases, I spread them on a cookie sheet to dry.  Some are standing up, others are laying down.  When they are dry, I spray them good with one shot, the ones standing up get sprayed on the inside.

rburk

dannyd93140 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyd93140 Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:59 pm

hornady one shot and baggy; spray a little one shot in the bag,add cases, shake and let dry.  You will notice a big difference.
dannyd93140
dannyd93140

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down