Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dry Fire Question SW M41

4 posters

Go down

Dry Fire Question SW M41 Empty Dry Fire Question SW M41

Post by cobbwebb Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:01 pm

A question for the Model 41 people out there: In an effort to allow for more dry fire practice with my Model 41 I'm considering removing the firing pin between range sessions in order to avoid feeding snap caps for each iteration. I know I will still have to cycle the slide, but I am thinking it will prevent damage to pin and breech face and allow me to get more repetitions in. Removing the firing pin is relatively easy on the Smith and reinstalling just as easy.
Is there something I am not thinking of that would make this a not so good idea?

Considering doing the same sort of thing with my  HS Trophy except I have a spare slide and can just swap out the functional slide with a firing pin removed slide.

Thanks in advance.....

cobbwebb

Back to top Go down

Dry Fire Question SW M41 Empty Re: Dry Fire Question SW M41

Post by javaduke Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:25 pm

It is easy to modify a snap cap by trimming the rim where the extractor claw would grab, this way you can leave the snap cap in the chamber and cycle the slide. To remove the snap cap, simply push it out from the muzzle with a cleaning rod or a brass dowel.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:00 pm

Another approach is to block the hammer from hitting the firing pin.

Dry Fire Device For Smith & Wesson Model 41

Dry-firing a 22 LR handgun

Great ideas but drywall anchors are pretty simple, cheap and easy. I run a weed-wacker cord through my barrel before shooting at the range just to be sure I am clear of any previous obstructions placed in the barrel, but I probably have an over-active imagination.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:29 pm

I would not dry fire any pistol without the firing pin in place. That could lead to peening of the rear of the slide which could impede firing pin motion.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by cobbwebb Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:32 pm

Thank you all - much appreciated

cobbwebb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down