Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recoil buffers and snow

+4
Froneck
Ed Hall
Steve in Allentown
inthebeech
8 posters

Go down

Recoil buffers and snow Empty Recoil buffers and snow

Post by inthebeech 1/19/2024, 8:47 am

I'm blaming the snow and my inability to do more productive things with my time, on this.
Bored, I put a recoil buffer in my gun (due to the above) and found that the small amount reduction in rearward slide travel is just enough apparently to prevent the cam on the forward (rearward ?) edge of the slide notch, from pushing the slide stop all the way down properly when slingshotting the slide forward (with trigger pulled) to chamber the first round of a fresh magazine.  It was a nice surprise in the middle of last nights league match.
How do some guns function fine with these buffers?   Are there other things that need to get done to the gun to permit them to work?  I don't intend to do whatever might be required; I'm just curious.  Buffers are stupid.
Ed
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Recoil buffers and snow Empty Re: Recoil buffers and snow

Post by Steve in Allentown 1/19/2024, 9:38 am

inthebeech wrote:It was a nice surprise in the middle of last nights league match.
How'd the extractor perform at the match?
How do some guns function fine with these buffers?
It depends on where the manufacturer located the slide stop notch on the slide.  Believe it or not they're not all located in the same place.
Steve in Allentown
Steve in Allentown

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 1/19/2024, 9:43 am

The wrong material (that some are made from) can also cause issues.*  Users commonly just push the stop down by thumb, rather than by slide.

* Issues always turn up in the most inopportune moments:

I tried a buffer for a while on a Service Pistol.  It ran fine until Perry, at which time it started disintegrating during one of the SP matches.  Picture this:
I was shooting sustained fire.

- I fire a round and the slide stays open.
- I start to lower the gun and raise my off-hand for an alibi.
- The slide now closes.
- I raise the gun and shoot the next round.
- Repeat until out of ammo.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Gustavo1957 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech 1/19/2024, 11:11 am

[quote="Ed Hall"]The wrong material (that some are made from) can also cause issues.*  Users commonly just push the stop down by thumb, rather than by slide.

* Issues always turn up in the most inopportune moments:

I tried a buffer for a while on a Service Pistol.  It ran fine until Perry, at which time it started disintegrating during one of the SP matches.  Picture this:
I was shooting sustained fire.

- I fire a round and the slide stays open.
- I start to lower the gun and raise my off-hand for an alibi.
- The slide now closes.
- I raise the gun and shoot the next round.
- Repeat until out of ammo.[/quote]

Did you take your pistol to an exorcist?  I know it wasn't funny at the time.  It is now.

Steve, Yes the extractor you fitted performed perfectly.  Everything went in to the net.  My lower back thanks you.
inthebeech
inthebeech

Steve in Allentown likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 1/19/2024, 1:42 pm

Buffers are junk especially in a 1911, it will shorten the stroke! I increase recoil spring to get same effect, actually better! My AW93 has a factory buffer, I'm going to change that as soon as I can! But it will wait until my .22 conversion is completed.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 1/19/2024, 3:00 pm

Froneck wrote:Buffers are junk especially in a 1911, it will shorten the stroke! I increase recoil spring to get same effect, actually better! My AW93 has a factory buffer, I'm going to change that as soon as I can! But it will wait until my .22 conversion is completed.

So, what do you "increase" recoil spring poundage by _________ to accomplish that which the buff spacer would do?
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 1/19/2024, 3:39 pm

I simply add a few pounds to the recoil spring weight used and install the heavier spring. I have a complete set of springs. Then test fire the gun to see if it will lock back. If it does (probably will not) add weight and test again or the reverse if it fails to lock back.

Froneck

fc60 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NYKenn 1/20/2024, 8:57 am

I do not use a buffer.
I had installed one many years ago in my 1911 ballgun. 
Began experiencing occasional reliability issues. Did not put 2 and 2 together. 
Brought it to the AMU trailer at Camp Perry that year.. 
AMU armorer took the buffer out. Basically said John Browning designed the gun without a buffer, do not need it.
Worked fine since. 
Never looked back.

NYKenn

http://www.TheFiringLineOnline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 1/20/2024, 11:27 am

inthebeech wrote:
Did you take your pistol to an exorcist?  I know it wasn't funny at the time.  It is now.
I performed the ritual myself - haven't used a buffer since.  Now, as demonstrated, it makes for a good story.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 1/20/2024, 3:13 pm

Ed Hall wrote:
inthebeech wrote:
I performed the ritual myself - haven't used a buffer since.  Now, as demonstrated, it makes for a good story.
I’d call that the definition of an actual nightmare from which I can’t awaken. I think I developed a new flinch just reading about that.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 1/20/2024, 9:36 pm

I like a buffer in my S&W M41. Seems to reduce barrel climb in sustained fire.

(I will admit I like Euro pistols that do not have reciprocating parts traveling over my hand.)
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 1/21/2024, 8:10 am

Putting a buffer in a pistol that wasn't designed to have one is problems waiting to happen. Simply put in the 1911 they will shorten the stroke and will increase recoil spring pressure. 1911 slide has to go back far enough to allow the next round in the Mag. to rise, the small extra distance will add time for the round to reach maximum upward travel. If your spring is too light the slide reaches the end of the available travel therefore any force is directed to the shooter hand in a sudden increase. Buffer needing to compress will soften the sudden pulse but increasing the spring weight will do the same and spread the force out over the compression length of the spring. Simply put a buffer is a very short spring.
 I'm kinda wondering what Euro semi-auto pistol does not have reciprocation parts above the hand?

Froneck

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 1/25/2024, 4:06 pm

Using a Secure Firearms Spring Weight tester my findings were consistent. Not sure what it all means but, when testing multiple different weight "new" 1911 recoil springs, my findings were that adding a Wlson Shock Buff would increase the spring tension by 4-6 oz when compressed to same compressed length on the gauge tube.

Adding that all springs tested were 5-7 oz less than their advertised weight, when compressed to the reference mark on the tester tube. However, when compressing them 100% they were within an oz of advertised weight.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down