Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bullseye pistol sight system recomendations

+2
hengehold
Wobbley
6 posters

Go down

Bullseye pistol sight system recomendations Empty Bullseye pistol sight system recomendations

Post by ptf18 Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:17 am

Would like recommendations for adjustable Bullseye shooting sight system (front AND rear). Metallic sights. I've taken an "interest" in NRA/CMP shooting using a 1911 (45ACP) and have limited knowledge of what manufacturers are producing (and offering installation services) adjustable TARGET sights.

Thanks all

ptf18

Back to top Go down

Bullseye pistol sight system recomendations Empty Re: Bullseye pistol sight system recomendations

Post by Wobbley Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:39 am

This opens a lot, almost a can of worms…

Under the current options (and haven’t changed much in a while), the current configurations of match pistols have an adjustments only on the rear sight.  The current models are clones of the “Bo-Mar” rear sight. The adjustments in these are quite good and definitive.  In the “old days” often the front and rear sight was integral in a rib attached to the top of the slide.  

A bit of background, the current two types of guns generally used are “Service Pistols” and “Match Pistols”.  Service Pistols have to meet certain criteria for sights allowed.  An adjustable rear sight (and presumably front adjustable perhaps) s allowed but needs to generally be resemble a “pistol suitable for military service”, no ribs are allowed.  A Match Pistol can have a rib or an optical sight.  Match pistols sometimes are called “Wadguns” because most of these are setup to shoot “wadcutter” ammunition.

Most Match Pistols now have optical sights.  These are often a tube “red dot” attached to the slide.  Some times a open “reflex” sight is used, but these are not favored.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Bullseye pistol sight system recomendations Empty Re: Bullseye pistol sight system recomendations

Post by hengehold Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:14 am

Here is an example of a current production “Bo-mar” style rear sight.

https://kensight.com/bomar-bmcs-1911-kensight-sight-deep-notch-with-square-blade/

Here is an example of a front sight that goes with the above no-mar style rear sight.

https://kensight.com/kensight-front-sight-with-serrated-blade-contoured-base/

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Post by hengehold Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:22 am

Here is an upgrade option If you already have a gun/frame to get started with. It offers the best of both worlds, iron sights and the ability to remove them and install an optic if desired. The upgrade also results in a substantial improvement in the Gun’s group sizes due to the custom fitting of its parts.

https://accuracyx.com/product/multi-sight-slot-sight-slide-accuracy-upgrade/

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Post by JRV Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:42 am

The AccuracyX Multi-Sight is a one-stop shop.  I know several happy customers here in NC who have used the AX upper receiver upgrades in addition to full build guns.  

If you are looking at just iron sights and installation, there are a few manufacturers worth recommending: Bomar (will have to be found on eBay, they’re not in production anymore); Kensight (Bomar clones); LPA (slightly different than Bomars but very popular, used on loads of factory target pistols from makers like Springfield); and Dawson Precision (adjustable rear sights for Bomar and LPA sight dovetail cuts).  

It would help to know what model of 1911 you are shooting now.  What type of sights does it have?  Depending on that response, installation may require nothing but simple hand tools, or it may require the services of a gunsmith with a mill.

JRV

Back to top Go down

Post by ptf18 Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:51 am

Thanks Fellows. I like the idea of Accuracy X sight system. Any recommendations of a 1911 gunsmith that could install any of the mentioned sight systems?  I'm VERY leery of letting "any ol' gunsmith" do milling work. I don't see installation services listed by the listed sight manufacturers. Novak offers such services.

ptf18

Back to top Go down

Post by JRV Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:41 am

Most sight manufacturers don’t offer installs that require milling.

KC Crawford is a member here. KC’s Kustom Creations in NC. He has an website. Offers services far beyond simple sight installs—if I was looking to have a gun accurized or rebarreled, he would be on the shortlist (just would have to call him to see whether his books are open right now).

JRV

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:59 am

Wobbley wrote:
A bit of background, the current two types of guns generally used are “Service Pistols” and “Match Pistols”.  Service Pistols have to meet certain criteria for sights allowed.  An adjustable rear sight (and presumably front adjustable perhaps) s allowed but needs to generally be resemble a “pistol suitable for military service”, no ribs are allowed.

Actually, ribs are allowed now for service pistol, as along as the entire pistol with an empty magazine weighs under 45 ounces. For example, Rock River's combo rib.

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:21 am

ptf18 wrote:Thanks Fellows. I like the idea of Accuracy X sight system. Any recommendations of a 1911 gunsmith that could install any of the mentioned sight systems?  I'm VERY leery of letting "any ol' gunsmith" do milling work. I don't see installation services listed by the listed sight manufacturers. Novak offers such services.
I've installed quite a few Bo-Mar sights, so I can do the job for you, please PM me if interested.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down