Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Bullseye Shooting Sight Question

+5
brassmaster
L. Boscoe
BE Mike
chiz1180
BanjerMan
9 posters

Go down

New to Bullseye Shooting Sight Question Empty New to Bullseye Shooting Sight Question

Post by BanjerMan 11/28/2023, 7:35 am

I recently purchased a S&W Model 41 in hopes of getting into bullseye shooting....I've been shooting for more than 40 years mainly as a Soldier in the Army and now as a hobby/sport in retirement.  My question is about red dot sights.  I'm pretty much decided on a tube red dot and the Ultra Dot's seem like a good place to start for the money and functionality.  I am wondering if there's and advantage to the a sight like the Ultra Dot 4 with multiple MOA options or the Gen 1 with just the 4 MOA dot.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.   Doug

BanjerMan

Back to top Go down

New to Bullseye Shooting Sight Question Empty Re: New to Bullseye Shooting Sight Question

Post by chiz1180 11/28/2023, 7:57 am

the multiple moa dot options makes it easy to determine which dot size works for you. 2moa and 4moa are most common, I prefer 2moa.
chiz1180
chiz1180

BanjerMan and Dub like this post

Back to top Go down

New to Bullseye Shooting Sight Question Empty Re: New to Bullseye Shooting Sight Question

Post by BE Mike 11/28/2023, 1:41 pm

If I were just starting out today, I'd buy an UltraDot Match Dot and give each size a real testing out. I like the 30mm UltraDot with 2moa dot size.
BE Mike
BE Mike

BanjerMan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe 11/28/2023, 2:53 pm

I would not use a 4moa in BE.  Even at 87, I can see a 2moa easily
and find larger dots distracting

L. Boscoe

msmith44 and BanjerMan like this post

Back to top Go down

New to Bullseye Shooting Sight Question Empty New to Bullseye Shooting Sight Question

Post by BanjerMan 11/28/2023, 3:27 pm

L. Boscoe wrote:I would not use a 4moa in BE.  Even at 87, I can see a 2moa easily
and find larger dots distracting
That's awesome you're still at it at 87....and can see a 2 MOA dot....gives me hope!  My sense is to go with the 2 MOA.....I have a Holosun 507C on a carry pistol that is 2 MOA and it seems to work fine for me.  I just wasn't sure what the consensus is for BE.  I appreciate the feedback

BanjerMan

Back to top Go down

Post by brassmaster 11/28/2023, 4:08 pm

chiz1180 wrote:the multiple moa dot options makes it easy to determine which dot size works for you. 2moa and 4moa are most common, I prefer 2moa.
Chiz & BE Mike: sage advice & spoken like 2 true "Hard Holders". Unless you are a true "Hard Holder" a 2 MOA dot can appear to really dance at 50 yds. Actually, a 2 MOA setting probably doesn't dance any more than higher MOA settings it just magnifies the same dance as 6 or 8 MOA settings, making it more noticeable--IMHO. bounce 
brassmaster
brassmaster

http://www.whitehorsecenter.org, click on Brassmasters

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 11/28/2023, 6:55 pm

brassmaster wrote:
chiz1180 wrote:the multiple moa dot options makes it easy to determine which dot size works for you. 2moa and 4moa are most common, I prefer 2moa.
Chiz & BE Mike: sage advice & spoken like 2 true "Hard Holders". Unless you are a true "Hard Holder" a 2 MOA dot can appear to really dance at 50 yds. Actually, a 2 MOA setting probably doesn't dance any more than higher MOA settings it just magnifies the same dance as 6 or 8 MOA settings, making it more noticeable--IMHO. bounce 
My hold is ok, the dot typically bounces around(not always completely in) the black at 50. The trick is accepting the fact that my hold will always be imperfect and the necessity to breaking the shot cleanly (smooth, continuous trigger pull is how I would define a clean breaking shot).  More so  process and fundamental advice than the original question but probably worth discussing.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall 11/28/2023, 7:00 pm

I've had the old 4 dot which has 4,8,12, and 16 minute dots for years.  In fact, I have four of them on wadguns.  To me, it appears the dot moves less when using a larger dot and discourages trying to make things so perfect.    It makes it easier for me to keep the trigger coming.  To each his own.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 11/28/2023, 7:27 pm

Please be aware that dot sizes are not consistent between brands and models. 1" 4moa Ultradots appear (to my eyes) to be rounder and more "full" that any other I've seen. Aimpoint dots are much smaller - and the H1 is slightly smaller and less distinct than the 9000sc. The Aimpoint 2moa is generally too small for me. YMMV.

My advice is to go somewhere where you can actually view the various models and take a look.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 11/28/2023, 7:48 pm

Like Roy, I recommend seeing what dot sizes you like to look at.  As for the perception that smaller dots move more, the actuality is that they all move the same amount.  It is the PERCEPTION small dots move more.  The same phenomenon is observed with large vehicles vs small.  A large boat moving at 20 miles per hour looks like it’s hardly moving compared to a ski boat moving at the same speed.   The small dot and larger dots can both be shot accurately.  The learning curve is the same.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rburk 11/28/2023, 10:51 pm

I have a Sightron S30 on my model 41, and it has been a good tube style sight.  Please note that it is advertised as a 5 moa dot, but it is really 2 moa.  I also have a Primary Arms H1 clone on my 1911 (2 moa dot), and the 2 moa dot is the same size as the Sightron dot.

With scope rings, it adds some weight to your gun, probably similar to an ultradot.  The Primary Arms H1 clone weighs less.

I will say that the Sightron dot is clear, and it as no negative magnification.

rburk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down