Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pistol scope versus jiggle

5 posters

Go down

Pistol scope versus jiggle Empty Pistol scope versus jiggle

Post by mostly22lately 2/19/2024, 8:43 pm

One of the Model 41 pistols I have has a 5" bull barrel with a Weaver rail and a Burris 2x pistol scope on it.

The grip is factory, as of now.

My essential tremor starts to kick in when I try to shoot this setup one-handed at 25 yards for practice.
I don't even bother to try it at a match.

But, 2 handed, the groups are WAY better with the magnification then they are with the other Model 41 and a 2MOA Sightron tube dot.
That gun also has factory grips.  And, I can shoot the red dot one-handed, not too badly, usually.

I'd like to find a happy medium.

Is there one?

Or, have I already covered the options?

mostly22lately

Back to top Go down

Pistol scope versus jiggle Empty Re: Pistol scope versus jiggle

Post by RoyDean 2/19/2024, 11:19 pm

As Far As I Know, there are very few, if any, serious Bullseye shooters currently using "scope" sights, at least not for the past 20 years or so. The magnification will just magnify your wobble.

Tube type red dots, whether 2moa or, probably more popular, 4moa, are the most commonly used optics. Folks on this forum have commented favourably on Sightron in the past.

Use the gun with the Sightron and get serious about dry firing at home. 20 minutes every day, work hard at it. After a week or so you will probably notice a difference.

Use a dry fire plug - lots of threads here about 41's and dry firing.

RoyDean

mostly22lately likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 2/19/2024, 11:58 pm

There’s an optical, and maybe brain reason too, why red dots became so prominent.  I believe that the brain likes a dot of some kind when shooting.  A crosshair is a distant second.  I have scopes with blackdots on some scopes and it just seems to be easier to get good breaks and shot calls.  Most of the pistol scopes only have crosshairs.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 2/20/2024, 6:36 am

There are scopes with a reticle and electrodot combined. I have an older Tasco set up this way on a revolver. It is a bit back heavy due to electro module, which balances great. Cannot hold it one handed too long, but performs really well while I do. As far as is it better than red dot only, probably not, but just different.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow 2/20/2024, 9:16 am

I have a pair of Burris 1x with cross hair and Dot designed for Gil Hebert that I used for years till I got serious about Bullseye and switched to a red dot. Now I have Cataracs in my shooting eye and the doctor say no to having them removed since they are so small that surgery could cause worse problems so I'm thinking of going back to them so I have a clear sight picture.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down