Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Shooter looking for a 45

+10
troystaten
chiz1180
hengehold
Bangarang
RodJ
Wobbley
javaduke
PMcfall
james r chapman
Clifton1979
14 posters

Go down

New Shooter looking for a 45 Empty New Shooter looking for a 45

Post by Clifton1979 Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:56 am

Hi All,

One of the guys at my range got me involved in our police revolver league, and now I'm also shooting .22 bullseye. Having a blast. So now it's time to consider getting a .45 as well!

But, I'm trying to keep local and not spend a ton. I know the SA RO is the de facto, but can't find them used anywhere. Sometimes I see Colt's come up local, kimbers, etc. My LGS has an interesting used .45 I know nothing about. It's a Colt MKIV Combat Elite that has had some trigger work done and has a magwell ( I assume it's a race gun setup). It's cheap at $650, and I know i can go lower but the slide has a little rattle and it just doesn't seem like the right gun to start with. 

Anyone ever consider the MKIV combat elite as an entry pistol? I'm also in NJ, so we have a nutty permit process and it's a whole thing if it has issues.

Clifton1979

Back to top Go down

New Shooter looking for a 45 Empty Re: New Shooter looking for a 45

Post by james r chapman Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:10 am

If your just shooting indoor most any .45 will work.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:36 am

PMcfall
PMcfall

hengehold likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:03 pm

One option would be to buy a cheap mil-spec gun, like SA mil-spec or Tisas and rebuild it, but it may be expensive. Most likely you will need to replace the barrel bushing, maybe optionally fit a beavertail grip safety, depending on how well (or poorly) the barrel is fitted you may need to replace the barrel, and depending on the condition and material of the hammer and sear a simple trigger job can be performed or the whole ignition parts set needs to be replaced. Also, depending on what disciplines are you planning to shoot, you can choose to have your gun fitted with an adjustable iron sights only, a red dot only, or a combination of both.
Prepare to spend roughly between $250 to $900 in addition to the cost of the donor gun. (roughly, you'll never know what the actual cost is until you have the gun and it is inspected by a gunsmith)
I'll be happy to help you with the actual gunsmithing but the parts are unfortunately very expensive these days (just like everything else).
Might as well just start with bare Caspian frame and slide, after everything is said and done, the cost is more or less the same.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by Clifton1979 Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:12 pm

Thanks, I stopped by my LGS today and they had a pre owned Kimber Gold Match 2 come in from an estate for $650. Tight slide and looks in a lot better shape. I might go with this as I realize it will be along time before I outshoot whatever I get. Any thoughts on the Kimber Gold Match 2?

Clifton1979

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:18 pm

Kimbers are ok, but then again, any factory gun must be inspected for tolerances and corrected as needed (which may involve purchasing and fitting new parts). Tight slide fit contributes very little, if any, to the overall accuracy of the gun, the barrel fit is MUCH more important.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:01 pm

If it was me…. 

I’d likely go with the Colt, for no other reason that it is a Colt.  While there are clones, the Colt is the true “1911”.   It can be “tightened up” to make it more accurate.  

While the Kimber looks like it may be “better” but I’m not certain that their build process holds up for the long haul.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

1911-45 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:34 pm

Guns dot com has at least two RO Target models (used). One for $725 + $25 for some sort of processing fee and shipping. Plus tax. Boom. Done.

RodJ

Multiracer and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bangarang Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:28 pm

Gunbroker has lightly used SA ROs as well right now in the $750-$800 range.  I just bought one for the same reason stated by the OP.

Bangarang

Multiracer and Arthur like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by hengehold Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:44 am

Wobbley wrote:If it was me…. 

I’d likely go with the Colt, for no other reason that it is a Colt.  While there are clones, the Colt is the true “1911”.   It can be “tightened up” to make it more accurate.  

While the Kimber looks like it may be “better” but I’m not certain that their build process holds up for the long haul.

I thought Colt pistols are generally avoided for bullseye build purposes. Something to do with the quality of the steel?

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:30 am

Depends on the era I guess.  Jim Clark preferred commercial Colts.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:36 am

hengehold wrote:
Wobbley wrote:If it was me…. 

I thought Colt pistols are generally avoided for bullseye build purposes. Something to do with the quality of the steel?
Colt has had periods of questionable QC, in some cases some critical dimensions make accurizing a painful process.

Back to the OP, ask for suggestions and recommendations at your club. NJ has a healthy bullseye community and knowledge base.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:32 pm

I know a lot of people downplay Rock Island but this one might fit the ticket. 

https://www.armscor.com/firearms-list/m1911-a1-fs-match-5pro-ultra-match-5-45acp-8rd

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by Clifton1979 Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:26 pm

New Shooter looking for a 45 Img_1012
For $500 I’ll take the chance. 4 mags as well…

Clifton1979

troystaten likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:46 pm

I would take a Tisa over a Rock Island.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sc0 Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:18 pm

Picked up a Tisas B45R, side to frame fit is a little looser than a Springfield MilSpec and RO. The barrel fit is completely drop in with gaps everywhere and the barrel bushing literally slides off. If planning to use a Tisas for bullseye, would definitely have a custom barrel hard-fit... Surprisingly, the machining is better than one of my $3k pistols... Odd thing with the Tisas, with a .22 conversion on the lower I was getting hammer follow which was fixed with takeoff RO fire control parts.

Sc0

Back to top Go down

Post by TomahawkBonk Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:19 pm

Anyone have any experience with the Tisas match 45 for this purpose (the stainless one with claimed custom fit?) Or the MAC jsoc 1911 that has no listed custom fit slightly forward lpa rear sight,, no undercut trigger guard, and carbon steel (under the impression its still a Tisas build). One youtube ransom test on the Match model that was shot at 35yds that looked promising— they are hard to find right now but possible.

TomahawkBonk

Back to top Go down

Post by TomahawkBonk Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:33 pm

Or: has anyone sent a 1911 to accuracy x for the accuracy and multisight set up? For approx 2.5k total (not counting the maybe 500 or so for various sight combos) if they shoot well it seems like it may be a smoking deal to get a pistol that can do wear a dot or irons with minimal fuss and still make weight for EIC. My motivation is I’d like to get a 45 to shoot full 2700s (my EIC pistol is in 9mm),. Would like it to have dot capability as iI prefer them, but if able to be a backup EIC— or primary if I shoot it better than my 1911 9mm. From prior posts it appears that the RRA wadgun is too heavy for EIC witouth a fair amount of modding— otherwise that would be a prime contender. Have also toyed with the idea of a S&W 625 5” model of 1989: just because I have a weird thing for revolvers.

TomahawkBonk

SW-52 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:07 pm

TomahawkBonk wrote:Or: has anyone sent a 1911 to accuracy x for the accuracy and multisight set up?  For approx 2.5k total (not counting the maybe 500 or so for various sight combos) if they shoot well it seems like it may be a smoking deal to get a pistol that can do wear a dot or irons with minimal fuss and still make weight for EIC.  My motivation is I’d like to get a 45 to shoot full 2700s (my EIC pistol is in 9mm),. Would like it to have dot capability as iI prefer them, but if able to be a backup EIC— or primary if I shoot it better than my 1911 9mm.  From prior posts it appears that the RRA wadgun is too heavy for EIC witouth a fair amount of modding— otherwise that would be a prime contender. Have also toyed with the idea of a S&W 625 5” model of 1989: just because I have a weird thing for revolvers.  
I have an Springfield Range Officer accurized by Kc Crawford + the multi sight slide from accuracy X, is Nice to have the Best of two worlds!!
SW-52
SW-52

TomahawkBonk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down