Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Only look at the positive and Pascal's wager

5 posters

Go down

Only look at the positive and Pascal's wager Empty Only look at the positive and Pascal's wager

Post by JHHolliday Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:31 pm

The advice is to concentrate on positive results (in order to reinforce them), and not dwell on bad results (in order to not reinforce them).

Recently I found some cards I shot 10 months ago and, to be honest, the group sizes are as good as any I shoot now.  Evidencing slow or no progress, despite reading several BE books and lots of dry/live fire practice over this period.  

https://postimg.cc/V5nJZqX8

One option would be to ignore this or rationalize it away: group size is not very quantitative - you really need to measure them and weight over time to find real trends, etc.  But isn't intellectual honesty critical to learning?

This conundrum recalls Pascal's wager*: when deciding between two unprovable contradictory alternatives, choose the belief that could eventuate the best results for you.

That or find a coach  Cool

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_wager
JHHolliday
JHHolliday

Back to top Go down

Only look at the positive and Pascal's wager Empty Re: Only look at the positive and Pascal's wager

Post by DA/SA Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:19 pm

You have plateaued, so it's time to change something.

Largest gain I made after a similar situation was concentrating on keeping my wrist and forearm as one rigid unit.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Only look at the positive and Pascal's wager Empty Re: Only look at the positive and Pascal's wager

Post by croesler Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:45 pm

Try changing your thumb position and tightness.
croesler
croesler

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:33 pm

JHHolliday wrote:
Recently I found some cards I shot 10 months ago and, to be honest, the group sizes are as good as any I shoot now.  Evidencing slow or no progress, despite reading several BE books and lots of dry/live fire practice over this period.  

That is the way it is. Progress is not linear. It is a series of plateaus, and some of them are bigger than others.  

Day after day it is a grind with almost no hope, and then suddenly a light goes on and you jump up another 5% like riding a bike.

Like looking for the touchstone on the shores of the black sea; the trap is you give up the search, or worse yet find an improvement only to reflexively cast it aside.

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by ermakevin Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:15 pm

Merick wrote:
JHHolliday wrote:

That is the way it is. Progress is not linear. It is a series of plateaus, and some of them are bigger than others.  

Day after day it is a grind with almost no hope, and then suddenly a light goes on and you jump up another 5% like riding a bike.

Like looking for the touchstone on the shores of the black sea; the trap is you give up the search, or worse yet find an improvement only to reflexively cast it aside.
yea like getting to first base with my girlfriend,  took a few years lol
ermakevin
ermakevin

john bickar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down