Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which 22LR for a revolver (50 yard)

3 posters

Go down

Which 22LR for a revolver (50 yard) Empty Which 22LR for a revolver (50 yard)

Post by Upper40 4/17/2024, 12:20 pm

I have a S&W 617 6" revolver and am looking for the best 50 yard accuracy ammo.  Searches online come up with "pistol" accuracy discussions but not "revolver" specific data. From what I read pistol rounds are manufactured with accuracy in mind but additionally "auto pistol" feeding function, ie bullet lube, bullet shape.  Not a concern with the revolver.

Before someone says that I need to test ammo in my specific gun to come up with the best..I have been experimenting with a bunch of it, Federal, CCI, Winchester, Aguila, Browning etc, etc.  So far my best groups have been with Eley semi-auto 22lr benchrest precision 40 grain.

That Eley was the only Eley sitting on the store shelf, the only reason I grabbed it..but it has the best 50 yard groups so far.

Anyone have Eley 22Lr experience in a revolver, maybe the more affordable stuff - Eley Benchrest Outlaw, Eley Target, Eley Club

Thanks

Upper40

Back to top Go down

Which 22LR for a revolver (50 yard) Empty Re: Which 22LR for a revolver (50 yard)

Post by -TT- 4/17/2024, 1:45 pm

I've been having a lot of fun shooting bullseye with a Model 63, the J-frame 6-shot little brother of yours. Using any kind of match ammo is a disaster, the lube gums up the cylinder and makes loading/unloading a sticky mess, light strikes and impossible extraction. Also I've found that the higher the velocity, the better.

In my limited experience I find that CCI Blazer (unplated) has been best for both accuracy and operation. I've also shot Federal AutoMatch but it leaves messy black flash deposits around the cylinder and frame. Overall, the Model 63 isn't exactly bullseye-accurate, although it's surprisingly good! Excellent for my purposes.
-TT-
-TT-

Upper40 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Which 22LR for a revolver (50 yard) Empty Re: Which 22LR for a revolver (50 yard)

Post by Amp 4/17/2024, 3:26 pm

I have a 4" and 6" 617. Both prefer different brand ammo. And the 4" wins in accuracy. Maybe because of the red dot ??

Amp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down