Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite Bullseye Events

+14
tovaert
Brian Mason
Al
Dcforman
1911a145
Pinetree
chiz1180
jwax
RoyDean
Jack H
john bickar
SingleActionAndrew
jareds06
MkFiji
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Favorite Bullseye Events Empty Favorite Bullseye Events

Post by MkFiji Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:24 am

Hi guys!

I just came back from shooting at the 2024 Dixie Match - Gateway Rifle and Pistol Club, Jacksonville, FL, to shoot with family and really enjoyed it! The venue is nice(in my limited experience), the match is run well, and it’s super easy to find your target thanks to their color coordination.  I also like their Target dispenser which was convenient and have an AMU armorer on site.

Fans and shade are always appreciated

It was my first time going to an event that had raffle prizes and swag because it’s a sponsored event.  I’ll probably fly out again(I’m from Los Angeles) next year and try to get more people to come.

So far it’s my favorite event. Other big event I was at is the Navy West at Pendleton which was a different.

What’re your guys favorite shooting events to attend, and why?

Also, I’ve been looking at past results of prior events and besides Cardinal and National matches I can’t really find a place that had enough competitors for a hard leg—would you happen to know a match that had enough competitors within the past 2 years?

Thanks!

MkFiji

Dockokol likes this post

Back to top Go down

Favorite Bullseye Events Empty Re: Favorite Bullseye Events

Post by jareds06 Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:44 pm

MkFiji wrote:Hi guys!

I just came back from shooting at the 2024 Dixie Match - Gateway Rifle and Pistol Club, Jacksonville, FL, to shoot with family and really enjoyed it! The venue is nice(in my limited experience), the match is run well, and it’s super easy to find your target thanks to their color coordination.  I also like their Target dispenser which was convenient and have an AMU armorer on site.

Fans and shade are always appreciated

It was my first time going to an event that had raffle prizes and swag because it’s a sponsored event.  I’ll probably fly out again(I’m from Los Angeles) next year and try to get more people to come.

So far it’s my favorite event. Other big event I was at is the Navy West at Pendleton which was a different.

What’re your guys favorite shooting events to attend, and why?

Also, I’ve been looking at past results of prior events and besides Cardinal and National matches I can’t really find a place that had enough competitors for a hard leg—would you happen to know a match that had enough competitors within the past 2 years?

Thanks!
RIP CMP Oklahoma City Games. I got home from getting beat up by the sea for months looking forward to that being the one CMP event I would be able to attend in 2022 only to find out it was cancelled on a pretty short notice.

jareds06

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:49 pm

I love the 2700+EIC matches at Aurora Sportsman Club in Watterman, IL. The next one is the Saturday before Mother's Day. On top of the privilege to shoot a full NRA 2700 + three CMP EICs (22RF, SP, SR) twice a year, the 44 point dedicated bullseye range and the folks that run and compete in the matches are a stand out. Flag and Pledge to start the day, full canopy, fixed benches, well made turning targets, great audio, and a charcoal grill cooking brats. And there were enough competitors last fall's 2700 for 22RF and SP (not SR) EIC points.
Edit: not enough for a hard leg though
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:13 am

You got hosed at Sac Valley in early April. You shot a good score, and should have gotten a leg. We should have done more to ensure that there were enough non-Distinguished competitors to get you a leg. Our turntable skipped a beat.

That said, the journey to Distinguished is full of bumps and bruises. Enjoy the journey.
john bickar
john bickar

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MkFiji Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:26 am

john bickar wrote:You got hosed at Sac Valley in early April. You shot a good score, and should have gotten a leg. We should have done more to ensure that there were enough non-Distinguished competitors to get you a leg. Our turntable skipped a beat.

That said, the journey to Distinguished is full of bumps and bruises. Enjoy the journey.

Hi John!

What’re some of your favorite events/venues to shoot at?

MkFiji

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:25 am

My favorite would be any ECI with real hardball.  Those were the days.

The only reason I got my hardleg was when some local cadets, ROTC or something, showed up.  Scary though.  One cadet set up to my right.  We were in the prep period.  The cadet asked the sarge if "can I use two hands".  "No" was the answer.  "Just do what this guy does", no doubt indicating me.  I was a little nervous with that cadet behind me
Jack H
Jack H

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:30 am

MkFiji wrote:
john bickar wrote:You got hosed at Sac Valley in early April. You shot a good score, and should have gotten a leg. We should have done more to ensure that there were enough non-Distinguished competitors to get you a leg. Our turntable skipped a beat.

Hi John!

#1. Canton

Then everywhere else is tied for second place, and it's a steep dropoff.
john bickar
john bickar

Vociferous, RoyDean and MkFiji like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:03 pm

#1 Canton

#2 Cardinal

#3 Anywhere they get on with things, minimal socializing on the target line and benign weather!

RoyDean

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MkFiji Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:15 pm

john bickar wrote:
MkFiji wrote:

Hi John!

#1. Canton

Then everywhere else is tied for second place, and it's a steep dropoff.

Now I’m going to have to check it out in July!

MkFiji

Back to top Go down

Post by MkFiji Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:17 pm

RoyDean wrote:#1 Canton

#2 Cardinal

#3 Anywhere they get on with things, minimal socializing on the target line and benign weather!

Sounds like Ohio has all the great stuff!

Was hoping to hear of a great event on the West Coast

MkFiji

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:30 pm

There are lots of well organised events on the West coast. In WA, OR, AZ and CA. But, apart from the DMW in Phoenix, they are all more modest and "local" as compared to the "Big Four" in OH/IN that make up the "Summer Tour". IMHO.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:58 pm

MkFiji wrote:

#2 Cardinal

Sunnyvale Memorial Day and Labor Day. Come on up.
john bickar
john bickar

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:02 pm

Yikes. Looks like Perry is not even getting a mention. Sad
jwax
jwax

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:15 pm

Perry is, of course, the biggest and by far the most prestigious of my "big four".

I have only participated three times. Requires several visits to get one's head around it. Great event, the #1 in terms of competition and posing a serious challenge.

Probably #1 favourite for many. One would imagine even JB loves it after winning P100 last year!

Last edited by RoyDean on Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

RoyDean

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MkFiji Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:25 pm

john bickar wrote:
MkFiji wrote:

#2 Cardinal

Can you share info about those days? Event calendar on both sites don’t list any events for bullseye

MkFiji

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:37 pm

RoyDean wrote:Perry is, of course, the biggest and by far the most prestigious of my "big four".

I have only participated three times. Requires several visits to get one's head around it. Great event, the #1 in terms of competition and posing a serious challenge.

Probably #1 favourite for many. One would imagine even JB loves it after winning P100 last year!

Camp Perry is Type 3 Fun.

Type 1 Fun: You have fun while doing it, and think of it fondly afterwards. Think of eating a hot dog.

Type 2 Fun: You don't have fun while doing it, and think of it fondly afterwards. Think of a family hike at the Stanford Dish.

Type 3 Fun: You don't have fun while doing it, you wonder why the f*ck you did it, and you swear never to do it again. Think of Camp Perry in July.

See you at Perry in July!
john bickar
john bickar

Al, Ed Hall, ermakevin, lyoke, Merick, Grouse, RoyDean and targetshooter_10x like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:25 pm

MkFiji wrote:
john bickar wrote:
MkFiji wrote:

#2 Cardinal

Can you share info about those days? Event calendar on both sites don’t list any events for bullseye

https://www.califpistolmatches.org/scheduled-matches

Sunnyvale 2700s are on Memorial Day and Labor Day. I should be getting the match announcement out soon. I just added you to our email list.
john bickar
john bickar

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:35 pm

I enjoy small matches/leagues just as much as the larger matches. You obviously don't get a chance for EICs at the smaller matches, but it is a good opportunity to mentor and be mentored in the game. Much less intimidating for someone new to a small match than a match with a bunch of people too.

My favorite match is probably the Ohio State Service Pistol Match, a multi-location match with a P100 course, NMC, EIC NMC, Service Revolver, and 22 EIC. Relatively short match, get to engage in some friendly competitive banter, all around good time.
chiz1180
chiz1180

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinetree Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:25 am

My favorite event is the banquet at the end of the season.

Pinetree
Pinetree

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 1911a145 Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:41 am

Az midwinter

1911a145

Al, mbmshooter, john bickar, sbtzc and MkFiji like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:35 am

I also enjoy the Ohio state service pistol match. Not often you get to shoot 100 rounds of service pistol competitively (other than Perry, if you shoot teams).

I really do like Perry every year. Between seeing folks that live far away, Vendors Row, being with the Ohio team, and commiserating about the weather, its pretty awesome. I disagree with Bye-Car. Totally type 2 fun.

Dave

Dcforman

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MkFiji Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:36 am

1911a145 wrote:Az midwinter’s 
Hi Matt!

Wow—Az Midwinter had a hard leg for .22! I gotta check that out next year!

MkFiji

mbmshooter likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:42 am

john bickar wrote:
RoyDean wrote:Perry is, of course, the biggest and by far the most prestigious of my "big four".

Type 1 Fun: You have fun while doing it, and think of it fondly afterwards. Think of eating a hot dog.

Type 2 Fun: You don't have fun while doing it, and think of it fondly afterwards. Think of a family hike at the Stanford Dish.

Type 3 Fun: You don't have fun while doing it, you wonder why the f*ck you did it, and you swear never to do it again. Think of Camp Perry in July.

I'd have to put Perry in the all of the above classification. Sometimes it makes all three in the same hour .

Al

john bickar, ermakevin, nikonjockey and MkFiji like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Mason Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:48 pm

john bickar wrote:

Pendleton is Type 4 Fun.

Brian Mason

john bickar and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:31 am

My wife and I went down to Talladega for the Spring Classic this year. I shot some pistol and rifle. It was fun and the facility is really impressive. I live 2-1/2 hrs from Perry and have been going (for rifle and rimfire sporter) for about 10 years. That's always a good time. I miss being able to buy large quantities of primers and powder.

tovaert

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next