Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for most accurate 38 special projectile that does not have exposed lead surface

4 posters

Go down

Looking for most accurate 38 special projectile that does not have exposed lead surface Empty Looking for most accurate 38 special projectile that does not have exposed lead surface

Post by brand-new Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:56 pm

trying to minimize some of my exposure to lead. 

i try to be careful, wash my hands before and after, try to use gloves etc. 

i do understand and appreciate that many or most have never had a problem etc. 

i'm not trying to challenge anyone's beliefs or science.

I'm only trying to ascertain which 38 special projectiles feature in your experience both of the following characteristics: particularly accurate for paper target shooting and do not have exposed lead surfaces

(a preferred load would also be great but the major focus of my query relates to which specific make/model/weight of projectile).

thank you

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Looking for most accurate 38 special projectile that does not have exposed lead surface Empty Re: Looking for most accurate 38 special projectile that does not have exposed lead surface

Post by rburk Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:33 am

First, I believe most lead exposure is due to inhaling smoke when shooting, especially indoors.  Also, the residue can get on you and your clothes, so it is very important to thoroughly wash up after shooting before eating or other activities.  I recommend D-lead products for soaps and detergents to remove lead after shooting.

Wear disposable nitrile gloves while reloading.

I don't have a lot of experience loading and shooting 38, but I did start shooting using a Ruger GP-100 for centerfire.  I found that it liked the Remington 130 grain FMJ ammo, it comes in 250 round multi-packs.  

I have reloaded some 158 grain lead round nose bullets from Brazos, they are Hi-Tek coated so they would seem to reduce lead exposure from the bullet.  Unfortunately, they don't look to be available now, but hopefully will be again soon.  Missouri Bullet co. looks to also have a pretty good selection of Hi-Tek coated 38 bullets, I haven't bought from them, but they look like a good supplier.

rburk

brand-new likes this post

Back to top Go down

Looking for most accurate 38 special projectile that does not have exposed lead surface Empty Re: Looking for most accurate 38 special projectile that does not have exposed lead surface

Post by rburk Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:01 am

I forgot to mention, that if you are reloading, be sure to clean your brass using a wet tumbler.  If I were super concerned about lead exposure, I would dump the brass right into the tumbler as soon as I got home, otherwise store it in a ziplok bag until ready to clean it.  The residue on fired brass has lead in it.

rburk

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:57 am

I believe Bear Creek Supply and Speer 38 WC are coated with a system that minimizes lead exposure. There are DEWC from X-Treme Bullets that will fill your needs, but my experience with plated for accuracy isn’t stellar. Brazos sells Cast bullets with a Hi-Tek coating which also reduces lead exposure.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by S148 Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:27 pm

The Hornady 125 grain XTP JHP shoots well in my S&W Model 67. 24-shot groups are under 2.0 inches at 25 yards with a couple of powders; bullseye, power pistol.

S148

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down