Dardas Cast Bullets?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dardas Cast Bullets?

Post by GrumpyOldMan on 4/22/2014, 7:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

These guys: http://www.dardascastbullets.com/

At their prices and the reported groups from PPC and bullseye shooters, I'm tempted to never cast my own again (at least in .38 & .45)

Anyone use 'em?

I'm impressed that the family has what you might call the precision accuracy pedigree.

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Re: Dardas Cast Bullets?

Post by Jon Eulette on 3/25/2017, 11:05 pm

Every barrel is different as to what it likes. I've seen barrels shoot everything good and others that were picky at 50 between 185 & 200 lswc. My longslide 45 likes everything. I built 2 identical pistols for 2 other guys and one is forgiving and the other one needs more powder to group. Can't just rely on other peoples advice, you have to shoot them. 
Jon
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells on 3/26/2017, 1:04 am

Jon Eulette wrote:Every barrel is different as to what it likes. I've seen barrels shoot everything good and others that were picky at 50 between 185 & 200 lswc. My longslide 45 likes everything. I built 2 identical pistols for 2 other guys and one is forgiving and the other one needs more powder to group. Can't just rely on other peoples advice, you have to shoot them. 
Jon
Jon:
 If you go to your mailbox some day & find 5 guns stuffed in the mailbox with a note to test, R&R as necessary, & retest, you will know who to send the bill & guns to.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan on 3/28/2017, 1:00 am

Stupid touchpad ate my post.

Here we go again.

Wow. That was me starting this thread. Thanks for all the additional input and first-hand observations.

Although I can understand some OCD satisfying value in seeking bullets with very narrow weight distributions in each lot, the follow-up questions I want to ask are:

How do they shoot? Please quantify with group sizes at 50 yards, which separates the barely good from the truly good bullet/barrel combos.

How well does the fit/alloy/lube combination resist leading? Especially in revolvers. Yeah, I know that almost no one shoots the round gun in CF any more, but someone has to keep the "almost" alive. I'm not everyone, so might as well rejoice in being almost no one. Keep the variety alive.  Twisted Evil

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley on 3/28/2017, 10:41 am

It is generally assumed that the fit (bullet diameter)prevents leading and accuracy by helping to keep the bullet straight in the bore.  The alloy and resulting hardness help by giving mechanical strength to the bullet to prevent deformation.  This works to allow higher pressures and velocities and really doesn't help much at normal bullseye velocities.  Lube or coatings help prevent leading by keeping the lead from contacting the bore.  It may also help prevent the lead from adhering to the steel so the next bullet scrapes the bore clean.  Exact mechanism of leading prevention of the lube is uncertain.  We know what works but I'm not sure we know why.

Wobbley

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyholed on 3/29/2017, 4:41 am

Sort out bullets by visual inspection, and then weigh them. It doesn't matter if two bullets have the same weight, if one has messed-up lube and the other has a horrible casting imperfection.

Keyholed

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 on 3/29/2017, 10:04 am

Keyholed wrote:Sort out bullets by visual inspection, and then weigh them. It doesn't matter if two bullets have the same weight, if one has messed-up lube and the other has a horrible casting imperfection.

+1

visual inspection really helps.. especially the base of the bullet
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum