Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil or grease?

+6
Rob Kovach
Paper-Puncher
private citizen
penman53
Bryan Coyle
Steve B
10 posters

Go down

Oil or grease? Empty Oil or grease?

Post by Steve B 7/26/2011, 10:49 am

I've been using an oil mixture for the last couple years that seems to work well:

1 qt. 5W30 Syn. Oil

1 qt. Syn. trans oil

1 qt. Marvel Mystery oil

Seems to lube well and makes the gun easier to clean when I do get around to it (every 2-3k rounds). What I don't like is I am continuously adding oil to the rails, bushing, etc... (per Ed Masaki's recommendations). Is there a grease that I can use that will be effective for at least a thousand rounds then reapply a little to keep the bearing surfaces lubed? Just wondering what your experiences have been. Thanks.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Oil or grease? Empty Re: Oil or grease?

Post by Bryan Coyle 7/26/2011, 6:27 pm

IMNSHO, grease will require cleaning more often - not less - simply because it stays in place. It also attracts and holds debris without the runoff that oil allows. The result is a fairly effective abrasive slurry working on the metal-to-metal interface - - not generally what one wants in a precision fit gun.

If you want to try some anyway, look up Slide Glide from the Brian Enos web site.

If you want a much more vicsous oil than typical gun lubes, find some Phil's Tenacious Lube at a bike shop or online. It's a really thick oil that is sold for bike derailleurs - yet it's still an oil and there is *some* flow to it. Stays put well enough that it's all I use on the bolt and carrier of ARs; also on the 1911's slide rails when the weather is over 40 or so. Bike shops don't give it away but a little lasts a long time - I've seen it priced from $6 to $14 for a 4 oz bottle.
/B

Bryan Coyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B 7/30/2011, 11:07 am

I used some Pro Shot gun grease, and after a few hundred rounds it got pretty nasty. My gun is pretty tight and there was very little left inside the rails so I wiped them off and reapplied my oil mixture. I'm thinking it's better to just keep the oil flowing.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by penman53 8/21/2011, 8:07 pm

Dr. Nick sent me a syringe of oil and another one with grease. He told me to use the grease in the summer and the oil when the ambient temp is below 70 degrees. It works for me. I also started using Brian Enos slide glide on my aluminum framed semi autos and I like it also.

penman53

Back to top Go down

Oil or grease? Empty sticky oil

Post by private citizen 12/3/2011, 1:29 pm

Bryan Coyle wrote:IMNSHO, grease will require cleaning more often - not less - simply because it stays in place. It also attracts and holds debris without the runoff that oil allows. The result is a fairly effective abrasive slurry working on the metal-to-metal interface - - not generally what one wants in a precision fit gun.

If you want to try some anyway, look up Slide Glide from the Brian Enos web site.

If you want a much more vicsous oil than typical gun lubes, find some Phil's Tenacious Lube at a bike shop or online. It's a really thick oil that is sold for bike derailleurs - yet it's still an oil and there is *some* flow to it. Stays put well enough that it's all I use on the bolt and carrier of ARs; also on the 1911's slide rails when the weather is over 40 or so. Bike shops don't give it away but a little lasts a long time - I've seen it priced from $6 to $14 for a 4 oz bottle.
/B

I used to use a Molybdenum Camshaft Break in Lube designed for racing applications. Worked good, but it was too thick for the winter league. I use Mobil 1 synthetic now, 0W-20 i think.

private citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher 12/22/2011, 4:50 pm

I use a mix thta seems to work great.....75% lucas synthetic oil stabilizer with 25% Marvel mystery oil.....the lucas is thick and very good at makeing everything ride on a film of oil....My slide and rails have just a hint of clearance when there dry but put the mix in there and it cant be felt .....sounds weird I know but it works ....cleans up very easy ....flows to carry away the crime and well marvel mystery oil speaks for itself.......Ive used this mix for 5-6 your of IDPA shooting and it seems to do a better job than the normal thinner "gun oils" I keep it in a shringe used for refilling printer ink cartridges ........

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 12/22/2011, 7:22 pm

I know it's not fancy, but I use hoppe's standard gun oil. It's thickish and stays put pretty well.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghillieman 2/16/2012, 10:12 pm

I use a grease, Pro Gold, on high friction low movement areas. I use Hoppes oil on everything else, its great stuff and not thin. For things like triggers I use aresol powder blaster to clean and aresol break free to lubricate. Thats it, nothing fancy or high dollar, and when that Pro Gold is out I may replace it with regular old lithium grease. Buddy of mine is a VERY accomplished hipower rifle competitor, he uses 30wt motor oil on everything. OH, one more thing, I put grease in some areas just to catch carbon fouling to make it a simple wipe out cleaning. So for me, mostly oil....
Ghillieman
Ghillieman

Back to top Go down

Oil or grease? Empty Grease

Post by AllAces 2/19/2012, 10:12 am

For the summer months I use Permtex SuperLube on the frame rails; during the winter months I use CLP.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 2/19/2012, 11:43 am

I use FP10 or CLP or Corrosion X or Bob Marvels Custom oil. I don't think it matters which. Oh, and moly on some of my sears.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher 2/19/2012, 11:53 pm

I have used Mobel-1 15w-5o mixed with trans fluid.....gun runs smooth and it runs out and carries away the dirty with it.....I think most anything will get the job done.....I just prefr it on the think side,,,,

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 2/20/2012, 9:27 am

Been using the 2 gallons of red oil I mixed up in 2000. I've given away a lot of it and still have a gallon or so lift.
Al

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down