Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scoring Grease Rings

5 posters

Go down

Scoring Grease Rings Empty Scoring Grease Rings

Post by brassmaster Sun 10 Mar - 21:35

I was told years ago and have followed the practice of, "if the grease-ring touches the next highest value scoring ring, the competitor should receive the higher value." 
If a scoring overlay shows or a scoring plug is inserted and it clearly demonstrates that the bullet hole did not touch the next highest scoring ring, but the grease ring does, then the competitor is awarded the higher value. I have never observed or been directly told of an incident where a scorer declined to award the higher value due to a grease-ring and the competitor protested and subsequently was awarded by either an NRA Referee or Jury the higher value.
After many years and many competitions on the local, state & national level, I have arrived at the crossroads of curiosity of when & where this practice is cited or dictated in a rule book.
Clarification will be appreciated.
brassmaster
brassmaster

http://www.whitehorsecenter.org, click on Brassmasters

Back to top Go down

Scoring Grease Rings Empty Re: Scoring Grease Rings

Post by TonyH Sun 10 Mar - 22:04

In the NRA rule book, they call it the "leaded edge" and not a "grease-ring". I think it's the same thing, but let the experts on the forum weigh in....
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Mon 11 Mar - 0:03

Greetings,

32 and 38 WadCutters tend to leave a mark on the scoring ring when examined with a magnifying glass.

I adhere to the rule stating that if the Leaded edge touches the ring you get the higher value.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Mon 11 Mar - 0:21

or a scoring plug is inserted and it clearly demonstrates that the bullet hole did not touch the next highest scoring ring, but the grease ring does, then the competitor is awarded the higher value.

I'm not so sure that a referee using a plug would be that generous.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Mon 11 Mar - 1:57

When you "challenge" a target for score, the referee (jury) will generally (should) score the whole target.  

If you are challenging a shot hole on the basis of a "leaded edge", I would suggest not calling for a plug; simply challenge the score. 

You cannot plug multiple shot holes; I would suggest not calling for a plug on very close adjacent holes either. 

This is experience, not just advise.

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by brassmaster Mon 11 Mar - 3:04

fc60 wrote:Greetings,

32 and 38 WadCutters tend to leave a mark on the scoring ring when examined with a magnifying glass.

I adhere to the rule stating that if the Leaded edge touches the ring you get the higher value.

Cheers,

Dave
Agree Dave. NRA Rule Book, Page 35, Section 14.3 How to Score: "a shot hole, the leaded edge of which comes in contact with the outside of the bullseye  or scoring rings of the target, is given the higher value. A scoring gauge will be allowed in those cases where the flange on the gauge touches the scoring ring..."
Also, a High Master's opinion & advice carries a lot of weight with me and so does Jim Chapman's observation/comment. As I've stated in my original post, I gave the competitor the benefit of "grease ring" scoring as well a "leaded edge", but I've had trouble getting my mind wrapped around "grease ring" equating to "leaded edge." Not trying to split hairs, just looking for a hard & fast rule that does not appear to exist. Appreciate everyone's comments, observations and experiences.
brassmaster
brassmaster

http://www.whitehorsecenter.org, click on Brassmasters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down