Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rimfire Pistol

+5
dhenry132
Kermit Workman
DavidR
STEVE SAMELAK
Rich/WIS
9 posters

Go down

Rimfire Pistol Empty Rimfire Pistol

Post by Rich/WIS Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:34 pm

Although I no longer compete I would like a 22 as a companion for my SA Range Officer.  I am considering a Ruger 22/45 with the addition of aftermarket parts for the trigger system, a Kimber RF on the 1911 frame , a used High Standard military Citation or Victor, or possibly something like the Hammerli (last choice).  Wonder what opinions are on these. I do like the look of the Kimber but not sure if it is a BE gun.   A  used HS may be a crapshoot for reliability, and by the time I add parts to the Ruger I wonder if I should just spend more up front for a better gun.

Rich/WIS

Back to top Go down

Rimfire Pistol Empty Re: Rimfire Pistol

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:37 pm

I would look at the Marvel or Nelson conversions and have the triggers set up about the same......nutz I already did that!
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:37 pm

the Kimber is the least accurate of what you listed, the others will do fine.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Workman Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:02 pm

The Marvel with a dedicated lower would put you close to the RO with grip and trigger. I would use the Marvel above the other current .22 conversions on the market. High Standards are somewhat pricey due to collector demand. The older ones were not known for malfunctioning.
 I think the price of the popular Hammerli 208S will drive you away from that pistol.
 Can't say anything bad about the Ruger. It comes to personal choice and your pocketbook between the Marvel, the High Standard, the Ruger and the Hammerli.
 The market availability for the Ruger and the Marvel will be far larger than the others.

Kermit Workman

Back to top Go down

Post by dhenry132 Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:50 pm

Marvel conversion or a S&W 41
dhenry132
dhenry132

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:54 pm

Why not slap a Nelson or Marvel Conversion on your Range Officer?  They switch over so easy--I've been using my ball gun lower all year for all matches.  Last match I had my conversion off and it was a .45 again before the .22 Rapid Fire alibi string was over.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:36 pm

Don't forget the much less expensive brother of the model 41. The 22A is actually a very nice shooter and you can even get custom grips for it. I paid less than 350.00 for this one and like the results. I'm OFL (old fat and lazy) so don't walk down during practice to change targets between timed and rapid.

Rimfire Pistol Dscf0335

http://www.formgriffe.de/en/shpSR.php?sfC=american&A=107&p1=255&p2=255
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:33 pm

I have the Nelson 22 conversion.  It's nice enough that some of the guys in my BE league with Marvel Unit 1s are switching.  Larry really has a nice product.  I put my Nelson on my Range Officer for BE league.

I also have a 22/45 I just bought in the hopes that my wife will join me in the BE league.  I'm not completely happy and it's going in to David Sams of Sams Custom Gunworks for overhaul.  When I get done, I'll be at nearly the same price as a new S&W Model 41.  If I could have done it over, I would have just bought the Model 41. 

If you do go with the 22/45 make sure you get the "RP" to get the replaceable grip panels.  One thing that I really liked about the 22/45 is how slim the grips were for my wife.  In the end she'll be very happy and have a terrific pistol....and I'll have a very nice backup 22....she just doesn't know it yet Smile
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich/WIS Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:59 pm

Okay, good options so far.  Figured the Kimber was pretty but not BE grade but had heard nothing about them. Held a few S&W 22As and the grip was a no go.  Considered a conversion (Nelson) but want a dedicated 22.  Considered a M41 but shot them and prefer something with a 1911 frame style, not to mentionthey re not esy to find. 

Did have a HS Victor years ago, wish I still had it.  The grip, trigger, sights, weight  etc were about as perfect as I could find.  Felt and shot better than the M41 for me.  Would buy a new one but have heard horror stories the Texas guns.

Looks like a 22/45 or a used HS may be my only options, or a conversion on a 1911 lower. Only experience with conversions was an Advantage Arms and a Day 30X both for a 1911s  I had several years ago.  AA was a good plinker but ammo sensitive, Day shot like a rifle.  Both went with the other 1911s.

Rich/WIS

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:01 am

If you do get a HS between me, Henry Sapoznik, and Scott Soik, we should be able to get it running well or have the parts you would need if it doesn't run well--and we are all in Wisconsin.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:15 am

Here is a nice one. I don't see any magazine listed but might be oversight.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=439590407
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:57 am

FWIW.  I have the Nelson and a Colt Match Target.  I shoot the Nelson.  It's just as accurate, but the magazines and parts are cheaper, plus repairs aren't a concern since they're in production and Nelson has a 2 year warranty.  My Nelson has had cycling problems with only two types of 22 ammunition, CCI AR Tactical and Federal AutoMatch 22 LR.  The CCI AR Tactical caused FTF/FTE in all my 22 pistols (2 woodsmans, 1 huntsman, and 1 22/45) and failures to feed with one lot of Federal AutoMatch, which also caused failures to eject in my wife's 22/45, so now both go into CZ bolt action rifles that my sons use for rimfire sporter class competition.  Based on my personal experience, I would say that the ammo may have been out of specification vice an issue with the Nelson.    I'm always willing to sacrifice minor cycling/ejecting issues for match accuracy, but I've found overall the Nelson is no more selective than other high end match grade 22s like the Woodsman or Model 41, etc. and just a little worse than the 22/45, but the Nelson is more accurate out of the box than the low price 22 pistols, and I'll take that compromise.  Overall, I'm exceptionally pleased and would buy another in a heart beat.  If I wasn't shooting service pistol to get my DP, I would have bought the M41 at the beginning.  If you put an alert on Bud's you can get a Model 41, they don't sell that fast.  Magazines for both are around $25 so that's a wash. 

Springfield Range Officer:  $723
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/70940
Nelson Custom 22 Conversion w/Adjustable Sights:  $420
http://www.nelsoncustomguns.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=22
Total:  $1143

S&W Model 41 5.5" Barrel
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/26193/S%26W+M41+10%2B1+22LR+5.5%22
Total:  $1066
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich/WIS Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:28 pm

OldMaster64, was looking at that one also, comes with one mag.  I expect delivery mid to late next week.  No matter what else I looked at I could not find one that to me would equal my old Victor.

Rich/WIS

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:37 pm

Rich/Wis,
  If it has been a long time since you shot bullseye now you will probably need a good rail to mount a dot on your new (congratulations) Victor. This is a nice mount and nice people to deal with.

http://www.marvelcustomguns.com/high_standard_victor.htm

And it looks good too.

Rimfire Pistol Dscf0336
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich/WIS Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:32 pm

Right now I am an open sight guy, but as time passes who knows what I might have to use.

Rich/WIS

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:38 am

Big M41 fan here..  Played with HS and 1911 conversions through the years.  Just put Clark Custom barrels on my 41s.   Made them even better than they were!

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down