Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No firearm Marksmanship training

+7
dstates
desben
scrum derringer
dronning
DavidR
Axehandle
Motorcycle_dan
11 posters

Go down

No firearm Marksmanship training Empty No firearm Marksmanship training

Post by Motorcycle_dan Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:56 am

I'm traveling again this time to Kazakhstan where firearms are tools for the movies.  Nothing in real life.  NO matches that I can find anywhere.

So make some suggestions.  What can I do to keep on my marksmanship game while away from the range for nearly a month.  I normally just drool over reloading equipment or related supplies.  I need to come up with a bullseye work out routine. 

What cha got?
Motorcycle_dan
Motorcycle_dan

Back to top Go down

No firearm Marksmanship training Empty Re: No firearm Marksmanship training

Post by Axehandle Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:26 am

No excuse!  It is all in your head!   I remember reading that the AAMU shooter, James Laguana, the last man to win the national Championship with iron sights, spent the year before his win in Korea and did not fire a single round..  Shocked

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:47 am

find a shooting skill game on the internet that will keep your eye - finger working together
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:05 am

Axehandle wrote:No excuse!  It is all in your head!   I remember reading that the AAMU shooter, James Laguana, the last man to win the national Championship with iron sights, spent the year before his win in Korea and did not fire a single round..  Shocked

+1, 

No range, dry fire
No pistol, mentally and physically go through your shot process, including setting up your equipment.  If you have the range commands on your phone even better. 

...................See the front sight/dot begin to settle into the black start the trigger pressure/moving, you settle into your aiming area, shot goes off, remember your follow through - look through your spotting scope X every time!

One thing you do not want to do when "air shooting" is respond to imagined recoil keep your "air gun" perfectly still on the follow through.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by scrum derringer Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:08 am

I know a guy out there that could help,

No firearm Marksmanship training 55683332
scrum derringer
scrum derringer

Back to top Go down

Post by desben Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:16 am

Well, they have air pistols... http://bnews.kz/en/news/post/229479/ -- they finished 4th at the Asian games. Check their regulations, you may be able to bring one with you as they are often not considered firearms. You could pick up a FAS 6004 for $400 and practice in your hotel room; they are very quiet. Just be ready to show regulation/law as you go through customs; officers often need to be reminded of what is and what isn't a firearm. :-)

Oh, and double-check regulations.
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:39 am

"regulations" can get you.  Personally got caught by a base regulation prohibiting air guns at Nellis AFB in the mid 80s.  Just there for a Red flag exercise.  Carried a NG issued target gun to work with.   It being a gov't gun helped calm the SPs.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by dstates Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:32 pm

Any way you could get one of these RRA ribs and install it on something home made and practice your hold?  You could throw a cheap dot on it too if you wanted. Maybe hang weights from it...

No firearm Marksmanship training Rra_bu10

dstates

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:07 pm

Not a direct answer, but the Japanese pistol shooter Tomoyuki Matsuda and his teammates have to train under very restrictive conditions if I recall correctly. Maybe the TargetTalk board could provide answers.

If you really hit a dead end for firearms, you could always practice yoga exercises for balance.

Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:08 pm

Sa-tevp wrote:Not a direct answer, but the Japanese pistol shooter Tomoyuki Matsuda and his teammates have to train under very restrictive conditions if I recall correctly. Maybe the TargetTalk board could provide answers.

If you really hit a dead end for firearms, you could always practice yoga exercises for balance.

I spend several months a year in Japan, and would really like to know where they train.   Over here, I suspect it is a state secret or something.

The only thing legal in Japan is Air Soft, and yep, I got one.  

How long do you have to be there Dan?    If it is only a couple of weeks, try doing some beer lifts, and focus on your mental game.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:08 am

One of the Wisconsin shooters capped the barrel of an Airsoft 1911 and dryfire practices with it.  Because the barrel is capped, the slide racks and the gun recoils and it's a great tool for practicing timed and rapid fire.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:39 pm

Dan,
There is always room to workout and thinking of shooting while working out will help your mental game. Knowing you are in great shape always helps before that last rapid fire string of a long 2700 match.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorcycle_dan Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:52 pm

Thanks all,
Good suggestions (except the beer curls) I'm borderline stupid as it is.  Beer quickly pushes me over the line.
Been walking to/from the camp and training site, ends up being couple miles a day.  Reading this forum and Art Seivers Successful pistol shooters book.  Yoga sounds like a plan but afraid my physique is more that of a yoga ball than a yoga practitioner.  Juss say'n
Motorcycle_dan
Motorcycle_dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:08 pm

Motorcycle_dan wrote:Thanks all,
Good suggestions (except the beer curls) I'm borderline stupid as it is.  
We all know that's a lie.     Rolling Eyes

When ya comin home?

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorcycle_dan Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:23 pm

Not a bad trip this time.  My sister is stationed near Frankfurt and I'm going to get a long weekend layover to visit with her on the Return leg. 

Curious when others say they have used airsoft (I considered traveling with one of these) for recoil dry fire practice.  Where did you get the pressurized cans to operate it.  They won't let any pressure canisters on the plane.
Motorcycle_dan
Motorcycle_dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:45 pm

Motorcycle_dan wrote:Not a bad trip this time.  My sister is stationed near Frankfurt and I'm going to get a long weekend layover to visit with her on the Return leg. 

Curious when others say they have used airsoft (I considered traveling with one of these) for recoil dry fire practice.  Where did you get the pressurized cans to operate it.  They won't let any pressure canisters on the plane.
Mine work on green gas, which can be purchased locally.   However I have noticed people selling adapters to let them run on propane.   You can also manually cock the slide on an Airsoft and still dry fire it without gas, but you lose your semi auto feature that way.   

I would talk to these guys and see what my options are.     http://www.pyramydair.com/

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down