Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iron site click adjustemnt

+7
rfmiller
Ed Hall
Jack H
Sa-tevp
Axehandle
LenV
82boy
11 posters

Go down

Iron site click adjustemnt  Empty Iron site click adjustemnt

Post by 82boy 11/9/2014, 10:07 am

Here is a question for you all: On iron sights is the a "click value" of most sights? Like a rifle scope 4 clicks equals 1 inch at 100 yards or so forth. Does anyone know the click value of most sites? For example on a Colt National Match with Ellison sites 4 clicks would move the site 1 inch at 50 yards. (I don't know if this is true, but looking for what is true.) Can anyone help me out? Thank you guys
82boy
82boy

Back to top Go down

Iron site click adjustemnt  Empty Re: Iron site click adjustemnt

Post by LenV 11/9/2014, 11:47 am

Interesting question. I was bored waiting for football so thought I would find out. I only tested one pistol and that was a Range Officer with a sight radius of 6.875". I first divided 1800" by the radius and figured that 50 yds was 261.8 times the sight radius of the RO. I got a difference reading on the sights of between .022 and .023 for an elevation of 10 clicks. Compromised at .0025 for 1 click then timed that by the 261.8 and got a result of .65" per click of elevation at 50 yds. Hope that helps.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 11/9/2014, 11:54 am

There are tables out there that details the various value of a "click" on popular pistol target sights.  I've got one in my gun box.  If we don't get a quick post with the details I'll take a picture and post it..

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 11/9/2014, 6:10 pm

This may help.

http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=215&sid=a573d67a930de9a8e0e4426a733194b8

Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by 82boy 11/9/2014, 8:05 pm

Thank you exactly what I was looking for.
82boy
82boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 11/9/2014, 9:19 pm

Sa-tevp wrote:This may help.

http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=215&sid=a573d67a930de9a8e0e4426a733194b8

Mr Bullseye there is really a nice guy.  Is one of you guys Mr Bullseye?
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 11/10/2014, 4:16 am

Not I. My day job involves technical research, so when I started shooting a few years ago with a Ruger Mark III I soon found his guides for dis-assembly (which would make a great Powerpoint file if I ever had the time) and wrote him to compliment him on them. His S&W 41 guide is good too.

http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

I think I used Alt+Print Screen on a Windows computer, pasted into MS Paint and then trimmed the chart into something I could print and tape to my pistol box lid.

Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 11/10/2014, 10:25 am

Sa-tevp wrote:
I think I used Alt+Print Screen on a Windows computer, pasted into MS Paint and then trimmed the chart into something I could print and tape to my pistol box lid.

Not to downplay all the work you did to print it, and I haven't used Windows much in a long while, but couldn't you just right click on the images and save them?  The first one saves as sightadj.GIF for me on my linux machine.  From there I can just double click the file and print from whatever viewer opens it.  Wouldn't Windows allow that as well?

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by rfmiller 11/10/2014, 10:29 am

This is how I copied the images from the Guntalk site:  pull up the site;  put your cursor on the image;  right click and pick "copy image" from list;  open another tab in file;  in the other tab, open your word program;  in the word program, press Ctrl + V (or use "paste").  That image will be copied into your word document.  Do this to all three images.

rfmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 11/10/2014, 11:06 am

Yep, pasting to a word document is easier. I've got so used to more challenging image formats that I forgot doing that a while back.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorcycle_dan 11/10/2014, 6:44 pm

82boy wrote:Thank you exactly what I was looking for.

Might also make a little tag for each pistol (like a rifle data book)
Gives total clicks up from base to your 50yd zero.
Have a shooting diary/logbook in your box.
It should list sight adjustments DOPE. Code like 2T+1=50yCM
which means to me two turns and one click is 50yd Center mass hold
2T-2=50f6 means two turns back down 2 clicks is 50ft for 6:00 hold.

While this is a good idea, be HARD on the sights and call your first shot.  Then adjust to your call. If your first shot call is 2:00 then scope a 9 at 6:00 up 2 left 1.  Call the sights NOT the sight picture.  Bright sun can mess you up by several clicks so don't be afraid of the screwdriver.  The P100 at Perry.  Bright sun from hard right always makes me shoot right.  I see what I believe is true sight alignment but suspect the gap on the right is brighter because the sun and I try to equalize the "light" which makes the gap on the left larger and my shots on the 7~8 ring at 3:00.  Then once I have it adjusted (about the end of timed fire) I think I'm good for the NTI.  Nope sun is up mid sky and now I'm shooting 7~8 ring at 10:00.  If it were easy they'd call it golf.
Motorcycle_dan
Motorcycle_dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorcycle_dan 11/10/2014, 6:47 pm

Dang, last comment.  I always like to be moving the screwdriver clockwise before I stop.
So if I want to go down two clicks, just put it on.  But if I want to go up 2 clicks, I will go up 10 then down 8.  Maybe not 10 but at least 6 clicks
Motorcycle_dan
Motorcycle_dan

Back to top Go down

Iron site click adjustemnt  Empty Rather than click = inch

Post by Motorcycle_dan 11/10/2014, 6:56 pm

Rather than making your cheat sheet to say 1/4" per click.
Why not change it to score lines.
then you get a better feel for it.  if you know 1.5 clicks per score line and you are in the 8 ring, 4 clicks should get you into the X.  Again the targets score lines are the same but at 50yd they require 1/2 the adjustment as they do at 25yd.

Or how many clicks to go across the black, use something like that rather than inches.
Motorcycle_dan
Motorcycle_dan

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan 11/10/2014, 11:57 pm

I had seen something like that in an older shooter's box years ago and forgot I wanted to get one myself.

Now I have one.

But for the S&W stuff, is that for a 6-inch revolver or a 5-inch Model 41 or a 7-inch Model 41 or a Model 52??? I just can't imagine all of them being the same. Pretty sure the 52 is different from everything else...  Off to Google that stuff...

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 11/11/2014, 6:01 am

Dan, excellent old school advice!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 11/11/2014, 2:11 pm

"CLICK BOLDLY"
Back in my PPC days, we often shot by or near the DC Team at the Jackson Nationals.. Their Captain was very fond of saying.." Click Boldly"..
Light changes have a great effect on iron sights...In fact, from target #1 to #50, there is none, or very little back stop berm.. From #50 thru #100, there is a distinct berm.  Berm or no berm,  made quite a difference in sight setting. Shooting at the Secret Service Matches in Beltsville was also tough.. Depending on your target position.. If you were squadded next to the wall, or in the center  of the range which is completely covered..
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan 11/13/2014, 7:49 pm

Motorcycle_dan wrote:Rather than making your cheat sheet to say 1/4" per click.
Why not change it to score lines.
then you get a better feel for it.  if you know 1.5 clicks per score line and you are in the 8 ring, 4 clicks should get you into the X.  Again the targets score lines are the same but at 50yd they require 1/2 the adjustment as they do at 25yd.

Or how many clicks to go across the black, use something like that rather than inches.
Nice idea, Dan, but last I looked at a Standard American Pistol Target the scoring rings were not all the same width. X-10 is skinniest, 10-9 looked the same as 9-8 IIRC then 7 was wider and 6 and 6 were the widest.

Now the old over the course rifle guys just used data books that had gridlines every 2 MOA.  Many had the outer scoring rings scaled smaller (or a bigger 9-10-X, put the other way), which always confused me when I had to switch between outer area grid and inner area, like when I put 600 yard dope on a 500-yard sighter... So I made my own that was all to scale and coped with the center area getting crowded with plots...

So you could do your own data book with, say, a 5-click light dashed line grid over the target map. Specific to YOUR gun.

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down