Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossfire Scoring

+2
rvlvrlvr
jwax
6 posters

Go down

Crossfire Scoring Empty Crossfire Scoring

Post by jwax 1/15/2015, 10:17 pm

Two adjacent shooters came back with their targets after a timed fire string. Shooter A had 11 holes, Shooter B had 9 holes. How is Shooter A's target scored? Does he lose his highest scored shot, as if he had an alibi?
Or, does he drop the lowest score shot?
Obviously Shooter B gets points for only his 9 shots on his target.
Thanks!
jwax
jwax

Back to top Go down

Crossfire Scoring Empty Re: Crossfire Scoring

Post by rvlvrlvr 1/15/2015, 10:59 pm

If he can't figure out which shots are his, he can either accept the lowest-ten score (dropping the highest scoring shot), or he can re-shoot the target and accept a score no higher than the highest-ten score.

Edit: Rule 14.10 (http://compete.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/Pistol/pistol-book.pdf):

14.10 Excessive Hits - If more than the required number of hits appear on the target, any shot which can be identified by the appearance of the bullet hole as having been fired by some competitor, other than the competitor assigned to that target, or as having been fired in a previous string, will be pasted and will not be scored. If more than the required numbers of hits then remain on the target a complete new score will be fired and the original score will be disregarded, except:
(a) If all hits are of equal value, the score will be recorded as the required number of hits of that value.
(b) The competitor shall be allowed to accept a score equal to the required number of hits of lowest value.
(c) If a competitor fires fewer than the prescribed number of shots through the competitors own fault, and there should be more hits on the target than the shots fired, the competitor will be scored the number of shots of highest value equal to the number fired, and will be given a miss for each unfired cartridge.
(d) If a competitor, by mistake, fires more than the required number of shots, the required number of hits of lowest value will be scored. This shall not be considered a refire as outlined in Rule 9.14.
(e) If the competitor refires, the original target with excessive hits shall be retained by the designated range official and on refiring, the competitor may not receive a score higher than the required number of hits of highest value on the original target. If the score on the refired target is higher than the required number of hits of highest value on the original target, then the original target shall be scored using the appropriate hits of highest value; but if the score on the refired target is not higher, then such refired score will be recorded.

Edit: a little story:

Last year was my first year at Camp Perry, and during the warm-up match my neighbor fired an entire string of .45 Rapid Fire on my target, so I ended up with 15 hits. I couldn't tell which holes were mine since we both used SWC bullets with enough velocity to punch neat holes in the paper. This was the first time I had ever had a chance to invoke Rule 14.10 -- the lowest ten hits would have been a 91 or a 92, and the highest ten hits would have been a 98. Both decent scores, sure, but I knew I was better than a 92 so I opted to re-fire the target. It's a very weird sensation being the only person shooting on an otherwise vacated 100-position firing line at Camp Perry, shooting two strings of rapid fire with basically all eyes on me. I re-fired and pulled in a 97.

Last edited by rvlvrlvr on 1/15/2015, 11:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
rvlvrlvr
rvlvrlvr

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 1/15/2015, 11:06 pm

He/she can accept the lowest 10 or reshoot the target, but can't score any better than the ten highest shots. 

Example if on the original target there were 8 X's, one 10 a 9 and a 8 he/she could take the 97-7X or reshoot and score a max of 99-8X, even if they shot a 100-10X.  Of course if the reshoot was an 90-1X that's what he/she would have to take.

- Dave

rvlvrlvr beat me to it
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by tierney 1/16/2015, 5:25 am

rvlvrlvr, what a great thing to happen to you on your first trip to Perry.  That weird feeling you describe of being the only one on the line shooting and you think everyone is watching was a shooting discussion  I once had with Mitch Reed, the finest hardball shooter I have ever seen.  I think it was probably at the Tampa Midwinters.  He advised to always take the refire, even if the spread is only 1 point because it makes you strong, choking is not part of the plan.  And by the way, those 100 other competitors watching you fire are not hoping you fail but are hoping you excel, when it matters we are all on the same team.

tierney

Back to top Go down

Post by knightimac 1/16/2015, 5:53 am

+1 on hoping folks excel who have to shoot refires.  We all have been there and it is pressurizing even at local matches.

Doing it at Perry takes it to a whole other level!
knightimac
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax 1/16/2015, 5:56 am

Thanks guys! Great story rvlvrlvr, and I think I remember "some guy" doing what you describe at Perry last year! Good call, and good shooting!
jwax
jwax

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 1/16/2015, 10:18 am

Had it happen to me in the slowfire portion of the hardball match at Perry in 2002, my first time there too.  I had 2 shots downrange when I spotted a third hole low and right, outside the scoring rings.  I called it to the attention of the line officer immediately who noted it & told me to complete the string and refire if desired.  As It took me from a 92 down to an 82, I chose to refire. I know what you mean by it being spooky being the only one on the line.  Shooting a slowfire yet.  I didn't shoot another 92, but at least it was a 90.

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by rvlvrlvr 1/16/2015, 11:18 am

Al wrote:Had it happen to me in the slowfire portion of the hardball match at Perry in 2002, my first time there too.  I had 2 shots downrange when I spotted a third hole low and right, outside the scoring rings.  I called it to the attention of the line officer immediately who noted it & told me to complete the string and refire if desired.  As It took me from a 92 down to an 82, I chose to refire. I know what you mean by it being spooky being the only one on the line.  Shooting a slowfire yet.  I didn't shoot another 92, but at least it was a 90.

Good call on taking the refire; 8 points is definitely worth it, knowing even 1 point can bump you out of a leg or the P100 at Perry!
rvlvrlvr
rvlvrlvr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down