Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Look Who's Back

+7
JayhawkNavy02
dronning
BE Mike
beeser
DavidR
Colt711
DeweyHales
11 posters

Go down

Look Who's Back Empty Look Who's Back

Post by DeweyHales Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:52 am

http://rockriverarms.com/
DeweyHales
DeweyHales

Back to top Go down

Look Who's Back Empty Re: Look Who's Back

Post by Colt711 Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:56 am

They can't sell all the AR's they can build at any price they ask?

Supply & demand.

Ron Habegger

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:40 am

price jump! 2500.00 now, hope the quality is as good as before.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:47 pm

For those of us just tuning in what happened to Rock River before; bankruptcy, stopped making guns, etc?

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:42 pm

The official scuttlebutt was that they couldn't keep producing the semi-custom 1911's and meet the demand for their AR-15 rifles. Interesting that they came back with the 1911's after a few years with a 73% price increase for the bullseye pistols.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:09 pm

What do you get with a RRA 1911-A1 Bullseye Wadcutter that you don't get with a Range Officer besides the scope mount?

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:24 pm

beeser wrote:What do you get with a RRA 1911-A1 Bullseye Wadcutter that you don't get with a Range Officer besides the scope mount?

It's about 1/2 way between the RO and a full on custom built gun. The RO will take you to Master if you do your part.

Best you can expect from an RO would be maybe be 2 1/2" @ 50yards, the RRA says it will give you 1 1/2" and a full blown custom should be closer to 1".

This is an over simplistic view.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:42 pm

the original rock rivers were very well built, and guaranteed to be 2'' @ 50 yard accurate. finish was deep blue, everything match fitted by hand, like I say that was before they went balls to the wall building ar15s, now that that bubble has busted they need these to pay the rent!
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:44 pm

Where's the beavertail on the NM Hardball.....I guess that one will be on sale soon with the rule change...lol

Look Who's Back PS2000_15

http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=705
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:39 pm

come on now. just because a beavertail is allowed now doesn't mean you have to have one. the changes were put into place to allow more factory pistols to be legal, not to start an equipment race. remember that people shot 290+ with no "bells and whistles", so there is no need to think a beavertail will allow you to shoot 290.

there is a saying on one guys website regarding shooting "mental focus, not equipment hocus pocus" I wish I was smart enough to come up with that, but I am certainly smart enough to follow it.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:48 pm

Agreed, I don't think a beavertail gains any points, but it sure is more comfortable.   That isn't hocus pocus Wink
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:27 pm

The ones I have shot were pretty nice.  Not as nice as a $6000 Joe Chambers gun but much nicer than my Springfield.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vociferous Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:19 am

Even without the hammer spur removing chucks of flesh, the old grip safty is painful with the crushing grip I try to use.  I don't think there will be much of a market for new (traditional) CMP hardball guns, without a big discount.  I could be wrong, although.
Vociferous
Vociferous

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:51 am

In defense of standard grip safeties I'd like to make a statement. As a long time pistolsmith I have encountered many 1911's (mostly series 70 Colt's) that the frame has extended out past the gripping portion of the grip safety. As a result when the grip safety is depressed the frame will stick out and the sharp edges will tear up your hand. If the frame is properly relieved you will not get tore up from the frame. I use a standard grip safety on 99% of my own pistols and love them. Now if you have huge hands then I understand the issue with hammer bite, but I normally slightly "bob" the hammer for people with hands like that and no more hammer bite. So I challenge you to look at your frame/grip safety fit and see if that's why it's painful for your to shoot.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:56 am

beeser wrote:What do you get with a RRA 1911-A1 Bullseye Wadcutter that you don't get with a Range Officer besides the scope mount?
The older Rock Rivers came with a very tight slide to frame fit. As a matter of fact, the fit was so tight that I thought they might need a break-in period. I was wrong. I liked the front strap checkering, which can be ordered in different lines per inch. The barrels and bushings were fitted very tightly. The internal trigger parts were tool steel, not MIM. The trigger jobs were really nice. They really lacked nothing. The best 10 shot machine rest group I have ever seen was shot at 50 yards with Nosler reloads from a Rock River wad gun. It was shot by a member of our club, who at the time, had recently purchased it. It was a one hole group that measured under an inch.

At the time, I was shooting a Kidd wad gun and had a Clark wad gun as a backup. I was also shooting a Clark hardball gun. The RR pistols I saw matched or exceeded the quality and performance of my pistols.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:22 am

BE Mike wrote:
The older Rock Rivers came with a very tight slide to frame fit. As a matter of fact, the fit was so tight that I thought they might need a break-in period. I was wrong. I liked the front strap checkering, which can be ordered in different lines per inch. The barrels and bushings were fitted very tightly. The internal trigger parts were tool steel, not MIM. The trigger jobs were really nice. They really lacked nothing. The best 10 shot machine rest group I have ever seen was shot at 50 yards with Nosler reloads from a Rock River wad gun. It was shot by a member of our club, who at the time, had recently purchased it. It was a one hole group that measured under an inch.

At the time, I was shooting a Kidd wad gun and had a Clark wad gun as a backup. I was also shooting a Clark hardball gun. The RR pistols I saw matched or exceeded the quality and performance of my pistols.
Thanks again Mike, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:43 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:In defense of standard grip safeties I'd like to make a statement. As a long time pistolsmith I have encountered many 1911's (mostly series 70 Colt's) that the frame has extended out past the gripping portion of the grip safety. As a result when the grip safety is depressed the frame will stick out and the sharp edges will tear up your hand. If the frame is properly relieved you will not get tore up from the frame. I use a standard grip safety on 99% of my own pistols and love them. Now if you have huge hands then I understand the issue with hammer bite, but I normally slightly "bob" the hammer for people with hands like that and no more hammer bite. So I challenge you to look at your frame/grip safety fit and see if that's why it's painful for your to shoot.
Jon
Jon,
this is exactly my experience. If a gunsmith will take the time to massage the parts, there is no hammer bite. I have several wadcutter pistols that have a standard g.i. grip safety and use a lightened C&S hammer. this would normally need a beavertail grip added but this way saves me money, it shoots no differently than if I had a beavertail added. a gunsmith that wants to save the customer money will do these small things. Bob Brown did the first one for me and I've had several others done since.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:48 pm

Bob Brown was my mentor! He taught me BE shooting and gunsmithing. Haven't heard his name mentioned in quite some time. Heck of a man!
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:36 pm

Bob was a great wealth of knowledge he and I used to talk a lot back on the original bullseye email list. I copied and saved many of his lessons on trigger jobs and other 1911 tuning. I really miss his wisdom.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:18 pm

I miss hanging out in his meticulous shop and talking all things shooting. He was very proud of you and your accomplishments, Jon. He had a small shrine to Jim Clark above his bench. I always got a laugh when he would challenge parts makers, "I just got off the phone with Caspian and their frames being .001" out of spec long on the rails." He was all about the specs!

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down