Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Train, Practice or Play?

4 posters

Go down

Train, Practice or Play? Empty Train, Practice or Play?

Post by LenV Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:51 pm

I have a 2700 match coming up the 1st of Feb. (yep, Super Bowl Sunday) so I told my wife I needed to hit the range and get in a little "practice". I know the PC statement for this forum is that I was heading to the range to "train". I don't think there was much training involved. I shot 8 National Match courses with 4 different pistols plus some extra slow fires to be sure they were still zeroed from last week. I suppose you could consider this practice but what I was really doing was playing. I was serious about the shooting and followed the commands but to be honest I was just enjoying the day. Every once in awhile I think it is important to remember that we do this because it is "Fun". I had a reason to fire 4 different pistols. I was trying to decide which .22 I was going to bring to the match next week. I wasn't happy with the results of this little (which pistol is best contest) so I may have to re-do the test before next weekend.. More training/practice/playing      ( ave with the 22A was 288, ave with Hi-Standard and 41 was 282. )

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Train, Practice or Play? Empty Re: Train, Practice or Play?

Post by Joe L Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:08 am

I play during the week after our monthly matches, shooting my other non-bullseye guns and maybe a rifle.  Then it is back to a 600 match simulation with a 22 and .45 each twice per week as possible leading up to the next match.  So I "train" 75% of the time and "play" 25%.  I gotta have that one week break.  But I've only been shooting bullseye for a year, I'm still working full time, and have a new grandson to tend to, so that 75% may shrink to 50% over 2015. 

Joe

Joe L

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:51 pm

I think BZ has said pick a gun and stay with it.  Or something like that.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:13 pm

But, but, but how do you know you have picked the right gun if you don't keep testing? All of my pistols shoot good or I wouldn't keep them. I think that is where the "play" part comes into this post. If I was "training" I would pick one and shoot it exclusively. I have fun figuring out which pistol I am shooting best this week. I will admit I was surprised that I shot better with the 22A this time. I think I shot better because the trigger isn't as good as a 41 or a 106. That may sound backwards but I think we all sort of put ourselves on auto pilot when shooting sustained fire. With the 22A you really have to think about what your doing with the trigger. That's my theory.

Len      (Jack, hope to see you in Portland for the 2700 the 1st)
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:52 pm

Len
I am guilty of too much play when I do shoot.  I have far too little time to shoot or practice.  Family, work, gun club board, I don't have much life outside of those.  The gun board takes a tremendous amount of time.  I spend more time on the club business than I do shooting.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by bdutton Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:31 pm

One of my junior rifle shooters used to tell me that he doesn't train... he practices.  One day, he came to practice and I asked what he wanted to do today in 'practice'.  He said "I want to work on my standing position".  I said... "there you go... you are not practicing... you are training!".

Any time you go to the range and have something you want to work on, its training.  Not practice.  It can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be.
bdutton
bdutton

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down