Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barrel length and accuracy?

5 posters

Go down

Barrel length and accuracy? Empty Barrel length and accuracy?

Post by beeser 2/4/2015, 9:23 am

I'm sure this question has been asked before in some form (probably by me) but is there any advantage in a 6" barrel over a 4" barrel if a red dot is used?  I'm finding that my S&W 686 4" barrel is much more comfortable to use than my S&W 617 6" barrel.  Both have the same dots mounted on them.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Barrel length and accuracy? Empty Re: Barrel length and accuracy?

Post by BE Mike 2/4/2015, 9:26 am

No, there is no appreciable difference in accuracy between a 4" and 6" barrel.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser 2/4/2015, 9:35 am

BE Mike wrote:No, there is no appreciable difference in accuracy between a 4" and 6" barrel.
Good, my quest for a 617-1 with a 4" barrel continues.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 2/4/2015, 9:39 am

As with a number of things, it ain't the length, its the actual performance. The 4 inch might be better or worse, same for the 6 inch. There is a difference between usable accuracy and actual accuracy. I've got a 2 inch J frame that Ransomed about 2.75 inches at 25 yds. I sure as heck can't shoot it that good. So the dot may actually improve the usable accuracy of the 4 inch. But it could also help the 6 inch gun too. Put them in a rest if possible and use the one with the most actual AND usable accuracy. That means both rest testing and shooting test to find the winner.

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 2/5/2015, 6:53 am

Accuracy is not a function of barrel length.   Of course shootability is another factor.  Sight radius doesn't figure in when you shoot a red dot.  The extra weight and balance point can be a plus or a minus depending on the shooter.   The current round butted frames and grips feel good to me with the short barrel while I prefer the square butt gun with the longer barrels. No right or wrong here.   Boxers or Briefs?

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by knightimac 2/5/2015, 11:01 am

The accuracy differences between 4", 5" and 6" barrels are very little from a rest in my experience.

Shooting irons the 5" and 6" barrels has an advantage over a 4" inch due to increased sight radius.

The 4" tube with a dot may give an advantage with follow through because the projectile leaves the barrel a split second faster than a 5" or 6" barrel which might lessen follow through flyers.

I also find the 4" K & N frame revolvers more balanced to handle with less fatigue when shooting long matches.
knightimac
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down