Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bullseye boxes

+12
orpheoet
Sc0
weber1b
Tim:H11
Chris Miceli
DavidR
JayhawkNavy02
Jwhelan939
ric1911a1
BE Mike
walt k
SW-52
16 posters

Go down

bullseye boxes Empty bullseye boxes

Post by SW-52 Wed 11 Nov - 7:28

i watched different brands of bullseye gun range boxes and i want what is the best for the money.
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

bullseye boxes Empty Re: bullseye boxes

Post by walt k Wed 11 Nov - 8:13

" Strong Case"

walt k

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Wed 11 Nov - 8:27

I like these: http://www.precisionpistolbox.com/
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by ric1911a1 Wed 11 Nov - 8:43

2nd vote for "Strong".
ric1911a1
ric1911a1

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 Wed 11 Nov - 9:03

I like the old style gun-ho. I have 2 4guns and a 5gun. The biggest problem with them is they are getting hard to find. I have never tried the strong case. But they look like they work just as well.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Wed 11 Nov - 9:23

I had a Gun Ho and a strong case.  They're different, I'm not sure one is better than the other.  But as mentioned, finding one and getting parts is challenging for the Gun Ho.  Greg who builds Precision Pistol boxes, not only builds a great box, but he does custom work and I've seen several since he's local that were terrific and exactly what the customer was looking for.  I don't have one of Greg's boxes, but being in So-Cal I see his work frequently and shoot with him as well.  Class act.

I would take a look at both during a competition, check the weight/size to see what you're happy with.  I don't think you can go wrong with either.  One thing I like about the wood boxes is the weight...or lack of it.

I like being able to lock my strong box, the left/right hand mount, 4 gun option in a 3 gun box and add on tray.  The 3 gun can tip over in your car however.  The 4 gun seems to be much more stable.  I don't see those guys use tie down straps.

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02 on Wed 11 Nov - 10:16; edited 2 times in total
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Wed 11 Nov - 9:42

the strong has the most variety of styles and is built beter than all others as its metal but weight is comp to a wood box, also it can be used for right or left hand with scope mounts for both, bullseygear.com has them and ships for only 6 bucks
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Wed 11 Nov - 9:57

I currently own two of the precision boxes, and have owned the strong.  I truly love my compact 3 gun precision but should of kept my 4 gun strong.  I fly to all my matches and the Alum box holds up better to the abuse.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Wed 11 Nov - 12:51

Ziegel Engineering makes a tough, lockable, aluminum box. They are expensive and heavy, but probably one of the strongest on the market. I owned one, but as I got older the weight and bulk started to become a problem for me. http://www.ziegeleng.com/
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Wed 11 Nov - 12:56

If you want to shoot dot sights DO NOT buy one of the older Pachmyer's. I have two. A four gun and a five gun. Neither are tall enough to house a gun with a dot sight on top. I shoot irons only right now anyway but I'll need a new, or another box if I start playing with dot sights. I've seen the "Strong" boxes and like them very much. That will most likely be my next box.

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b Wed 11 Nov - 13:09

I have an old Pachmyr that I modified for scope guns. I like it well enough but am switching to a strong box. I am going with the 3 gun mostly because I don't want the weight of the 4 gun and all the stuff you get tempted to pack into it. I'll manage the tipping aspect.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sc0 Wed 11 Nov - 20:02

I like my "Strong Case," I dropped it when the lid was locked open with my spotting scope extended out and it survived. A little bit of corrective bending later and it works just as good as before it fell off the table. The box I purchased was the 3gun pistol which is wide enough for my 10m air pistol or my TOZ-35M free pistol, and if can be expanded to 4gun by purchasing a replacement drawer if needed. I did have the little rubber feet come off but corrected that with LocTite and no issues since. I do recommend a strap to hold it to the table to prevent it from tipping over due to other involved forces...

Sc0

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet Wed 11 Nov - 21:24

I have a Strong box with a CMM bracket to hold their brass catcher. I also use the bracket to hold a large envelope full of indoor targets. Works awesome.Everything in one place.
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins Thu 12 Nov - 19:40

I am currently transferring from my old Pachmayr 5 gun box to a Gunho 5 gun I picked up at the pawn shop for cheap.

The Gunho is a bit larger which I like and can hold guns with dot sights.

I modified my Pachmayr by lowering the shelf on the left side to accomodate the dot sighted guns which has worked fine over the years.

I like the older Pachmayr's and Gunho's for the looks rather than the steel models nowadays.

Everything evolves I guess but I like old school that has always worked.

Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by bazineta Fri 13 Nov - 9:59

I have one of the 3-gun deluxe models from here: http://www.precisionpistolbox.com/

It's all birch plywood construction, very light, easy to modify to your needs.  Added a Gil Hebard scope mount and a CMP brass catcher mount to mine, and it's really grab and go; you're set up in no time at all.

I really like it, and the maker is a very nice guy to deal with.  There hasn't been one trip to the range that I haven't received a compliment on it.  Best compliment so far was from a 2650 club member, who knows of what he speaks.
bazineta
bazineta

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnusbullets Fri 13 Nov - 13:03

I have used them all. Still have most of them. Sent to 3 gun strong box. Getting old I guess to haul all the weight.
Carry backups in small gun bag in car. I have great Springfield custom shop guns.
No use to haul spares to the line.

Magnusbullets

http://www.magnusbullets.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Walloch Fri 13 Nov - 13:14

Terry from Magnus has it right in my opinion.  I've made over a thousand boxes in the past 30 years.  All the boxes, when loaded, are heavy.  I don't like heavy!  Some of you who shoot with me have seen my gunbox.  It weighs 6 pounds empty, holds two guns and an NG scope mounted on a Hebard mount. I carry a magazine for my .22 and one for my .45, an extra Ultradot battery, oil, and my scorebook.  All ammo goes in a bag.

Greg
Precision Pistol Box

Greg Walloch

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b Fri 13 Nov - 13:23

I don't have a Precision Box but one of the club members does and I am impressed with it. Very nicely built and clean looking.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down