Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FTF update (good) and brass ejection question.

+4
Skid
jglenn21
james r chapman
Tim:H11
8 posters

Go down

FTF update (good) and brass ejection question.  Empty FTF update (good) and brass ejection question.

Post by Tim:H11 February 4th 2016, 6:58 am

I'm going to drag up an older thread but a report back on all my failure to fire issues with my range officer. The new factory power firing pin spring worked to solve the problem. There was some rubbing on the first hammer notch and didn't like a hammer with three notches so I replaced it with a more typical hammer. Set the trigger stop so I had no rubbing issues between the sear and hammer. No problems. I've had a couple hundred more rounds through it now and no more issues. 

But on a new note- I'd like to use a brass catcher but the brass slings out either 3 o'clock, 4:30 or 5:30/6:00 and I feel the inconsistency in the direction of the brass would make a brass catcher useless. Why would the brass be all over the place? How do your pistols eject brass?

Back to top Go down

FTF update (good) and brass ejection question.  Empty Re: FTF update (good) and brass ejection question.

Post by james r chapman February 4th 2016, 7:56 am

Probably why the BE 'smiths earn their $ tuning extractors and ejectors!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

FTF update (good) and brass ejection question.  Empty Re: FTF update (good) and brass ejection question.

Post by jglenn21 February 4th 2016, 8:25 am

uniform brass (extractor area) makes a large difference in the overall extraction/ejection function.

honestly as long as the gun feeds and ejects fine and the brass is not hitting you in the face I don't worry about it.. the catcher is more about your neighbor on the firing line to me
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid February 4th 2016, 8:41 am

Tim my Range Officer ejects like that and I use a brass net and still seem to catch the majority of the flying brass. I just set my net a little closer to me than the pistol.

Skid

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli February 4th 2016, 8:44 am

I just rain brass on people...it's the polite thing to do.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 February 4th 2016, 9:34 am

Christopher Miceli wrote:I just rain brass on people...it's the polite thing to do.
lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid February 4th 2016, 4:17 pm

Your profile says you're 27, so I'm going to say you can bend down and pick up your brass.  But seriously, as long as it's getting out of the gun, and like jglenn said, not hitting you in the face, you're good. If you're a home gunsmith maybe this will help
http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/ejection%20perfection.htm
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by KenO February 4th 2016, 4:31 pm

Move the brass catcher closer. I have mine just a few inches from the ejection port.

KenO

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV February 4th 2016, 9:04 pm

I would have to shoot thru the net with one of my pistols. It slings the brass right over my head or bounces off my glasses. I thought about just wearing the brass catcher. I pretty much ignored it since it runs so great. It is my ball gun and figured it was worth putting up with it the way it shot. RReid's post just above on how to adjust the Extractor/Ejector made me re-think that. I took the time and followed the steps outlined above and found why it was throwing them there. The contact was on the very bottom of the Ejector. It had a definite angle. I re-shaped it and cranked some dummy rounds thru it and it looks good. I will give it a live fire test when it is not in the middle of the night. I wonder how many other shooters looked at their pistol after reading that post. Thanks RReid.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid February 5th 2016, 7:34 pm

No problem.  Kuhnhausen's book has some info about extractors and ejectors, too. Also, make sure the ejector is tight in the frame, not able to be wiggled at all.
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down