Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Armscor ammo

5 posters

Go down

Armscor ammo Empty Armscor ammo

Post by BaldingEagle 5/18/2016, 10:12 am

What are your opinions on Armscor 22  ammo?  I did a search and came up with zilch.   Just wondering if it would be a decent practice ammo.
As always, thanks.
Doug

BaldingEagle

Back to top Go down

Armscor ammo Empty Re: Armscor ammo

Post by DavidR 5/18/2016, 10:25 am

most 22 is fairly accurate but no way to tell how it is in your gun without trying it
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 5/18/2016, 11:27 am

I tried it.  It's junk.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 5/18/2016, 11:48 am

Jack H wrote:I tried it.  It's junk.
OTOH, I have had no issues with it in my local Indoor 50' league.  (Last night's first relay was 870-31x.)  It seems on par with CCI paper box in my 208s.  My Armscor is the SV that I grabbed several years ago, though.  I haven't tried anything current.

Of note:  I most often shoot two relays in the league, the first with Armscor and the second with CCI.  If I don't clean the chamber before the second relay, the CCI will not chamber easily for the first couple rounds.  If I clean, I'm fine.  If I'm lazy and just accept the one or two failures to chamber/extract during the first Slow Fire, the CCI settles out and runs fine after those first two/three rounds.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by BaldingEagle 5/18/2016, 11:54 am

Ed
So what you are saying is that it fires dirty.  Is it just dirty in the chamber and barrel or does it gunk up the action. Do you just run a patch or snake in the chamber and bore and be good to go?
Thanks for your input!
Doug

BaldingEagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 5/18/2016, 12:08 pm

BaldingEagle wrote:Ed
So what you are saying is that it fires dirty.  Is it just dirty in the chamber and barrel or does it gunk up the action. Do you just run a patch or snake in the chamber and bore and be good to go?
Thanks for your input!
Doug
I'm not sure it's a "dirty" issue, per se.  I think it's more of a bullet shape difference.  The CCI has a larger diameter than most other bullets.  I think the debris buildup in the leade/chamber to match the bullet is a normal action.  I've had similar failures when switching from Eley 10x to SK many years ago.  I used to shoot Winchester Xpert for training a number of years ago too, and that I would say was a dirty ammo.

I just use a bent .25 brush in the chamber and then send the nylon brush that came with the gun through to clear the debris.  I don't ever send a metal brush down the bore.  I do occasionally use a pull through string with patch, but haven't had that in the box lately.  Hmm, guess I need to put that back...

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by BaldingEagle 5/18/2016, 12:36 pm

Thanks Ed
I may buy a brick and give it a try.  I have a ruger that will shoot anything I load in it so far.
I appreciate your thoughts
Doug

BaldingEagle

Back to top Go down

Post by bdas 5/18/2016, 1:59 pm

BaldingEagle wrote:Thanks Ed
I may buy a brick and give it a try.  I have a ruger that will shoot anything I load in it so far.
I appreciate your thoughts
Doug

Doug, 22 pistols (and rifles) are notoriously finicky with what ammo they like or don't like, to the point where two guns of the same make and model might have different preferences. So, your best bet is to get a box or two of a wide variety of 22 ammo choices, and then test them in your gun. Common choices that are usually available for under $10-per-50 include Armcor, CCI Standard Velocity (0032 in 100-round plastic sleeves, or 0035 in 50-round paper boxes), CCI Green Tag, Wolf Match Target, Wolf Match Extra, SK Standard Plus, Federal 711B, Norma Match, Aguila Match Pistol, RWS Pistol Match, Eley Target, Eley Club, and probably others I've forgotten.

When I did that test with my Buckmark using CCI SV (both types), CCI Green Tag, Wolf Match Target, SK Std+, Fed 711B, RWS Pistol Match, and Eley Club (and Federal 510 and Federal Auto-Match, just for grins)... the Eley Club was the clear winner with 10 shots in a single ragged hole a little bigger than a quarter at 25yrds off a sandbag (but SK Std+ wasn't far behind).  Switching to Eley Club from CCI Std Vel noticeably improved my 22 scores.  Lately, I've been using Eley Target in my local league ('cause it's cheaper) and Eley Club in matches.  Shot a 556/600 (92%) with Eley Target in my league last week, including a 99-5x and a 98-5x in the two timed-fire targets, so it does well when I do my part (let's not discuss the 84 on the first rapid fire target, that wasn't the ammo's fault). The point is... finding ammo your 22 likes is worth the effort.

bdas

http://guns.dsttr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BaldingEagle 5/19/2016, 12:17 pm

Thanks to all for your opinions.
That's what is so great about this forum.  Lot's of knowledge for newbs like me.

BaldingEagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down