Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Compensator Rules in NRA sanctioned Bullseye competition

5 posters

Go down

Compensator Rules in NRA sanctioned Bullseye competition Empty Compensator Rules in NRA sanctioned Bullseye competition

Post by armouredbear 1/27/2012, 10:12 pm

I was looking into buying an old High Standard 103 "Space Gun" with the 8" barrel, but my team captain was not sure that it would be legal for competition because of the compensator. does anyone know if this is true? i downloaded the NRA conventional pistol rules, but couldn't find any mention of a compensator rule. any information would be most appreciated (also because i have to let the guy know about the pistol tomorrow! Rolling Eyes)
armouredbear
armouredbear

Back to top Go down

Compensator Rules in NRA sanctioned Bullseye competition Empty Re: Compensator Rules in NRA sanctioned Bullseye competition

Post by Rob Kovach 1/27/2012, 10:19 pm

I was shooting my marvel with compensator at the NRA sectionals in Wisconsin and the Referee didn't say anything about it. I think they are legal.

I'm pretty sure you can remove the compensator via a setscrew at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock on that barrel.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Compensator Rules in NRA sanctioned Bullseye competition Empty Re: Compensator Rules in NRA sanctioned Bullseye competition

Post by Jack H 1/28/2012, 2:11 am

Legal, but will not help your score as much as good fundamentals. In fact I and others have tested the comps. They actually hurt the SF grouping. They might reduce muzzle jump in RF but so will a good fundamental grip. And they are a pain to clean.

The long barrel might hurt accuracy. if the followthrough is not real good.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by dan allen 1/28/2012, 5:35 am

Back when I was starting out I tried a compensator on my Ruger MKll for a while. As I remember it really didn't do much except change the point of impact and load up with crud. Looking back the whole idea is kind of silly because if you shoot a 2700 you have to shoot a .45 in rapid fire.

dan allen

Back to top Go down

Post by private citizen 1/28/2012, 8:46 am

armouredbear wrote:I was looking into buying an old High Standard 103 "Space Gun" with the 8" barrel, but my team captain was not sure that it would be legal for competition because of the compensator. does anyone know if this is true? i downloaded the NRA conventional pistol rules, but couldn't find any mention of a compensator rule. any information would be most appreciated (also because i have to let the guy know about the pistol tomorrow! Rolling Eyes)

they are nice guns and fun to shoot Buy it anyway. I tried one with irons. It seemed to me that it would be nice for a .22 pin shoot. I think there are better choices for BE now a days.

private citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 1/28/2012, 9:14 am

Legal, but will not help your score as much as good fundamentals. In fact I and others have tested the comps. They actually hurt the SF grouping.

Jack, were you able to isolate why the compensator was effecting Slow Fire?
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 1/28/2012, 11:56 am

I probably looked at 20 or more HS comps through the years. The ones that lined up most concentric to the bore were more accurate off the Ransom than the ones off line with the bore. But none were an improvement over no comp on the same barrel. You can see the concentricity holding the barrel and comp up to a light. I imagine if you had a comp that was line bored with the barrel it would be better yet. I imagine that the bullet is disturbed passing through a small hole after jumping through a free space. There is nonuniform turbulence as well no doubt with the gases squirting out the top. The comp types that are just holes in the continuous bore would be better I suspect.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 1/28/2012, 1:46 pm

Thanks Jack,

Ive never had a comp on my High Standard, so I didn't know. The comp on my Marvel has a straight bore with holes, and shoots tighter groups than the HS does with no comp. I will try the marvel both with and without the comp and see what the effect is.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down