Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many Bullseye competition shooters in USA ?

+11
jareds06
Toz35m
L Valdez
Wes Lorenz
chiz1180
james r chapman
BE Mike
bruce martindale
RoyDean
Wobbley
NDAR15MAN
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How many Bullseye competition shooters in USA ?   Empty How many Bullseye competition shooters in USA ?

Post by NDAR15MAN Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:22 pm

How many Bullseye competition shooters do you think are in the USA ? Competition meaning big national , regional , State matches and the small local gun range matches that might have 6 local Matches a year. ? Just a rough idea ? 
Thanks. MD

NDAR15MAN

Back to top Go down

How many Bullseye competition shooters in USA ?   Empty Re: How many Bullseye competition shooters in USA ?

Post by Wobbley Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:40 pm

Probably less than 50000.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

How many Bullseye competition shooters in USA ?   Empty Re: How many Bullseye competition shooters in USA ?

Post by NDAR15MAN Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:10 pm

A lot more than I thought. MD

NDAR15MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:30 am

Hmmm. 50,000. In 2024? That sounds like an over-estimate to me. I do understand that there are a lot more clubs and shooters on the East Coast and SE states, but in AZ, CA, OR, WA, ID, etc., AFAIK, the numbers are quite small, much less than 1,000 per state. As an example, the IERPA postal league had about 62x4 shooters this past winter = 250. Let's say that only 1/4 of the regular shooters in those states participated = 1000 total. I would be surprised if the regional total is significantly more than that. My "Wild Ass Guess" is less than 20,000 national total, but I am happy if proven wrong!

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:55 am

It reinforces the need to recruit…too many buy a junk 9 and tac-ti-cool gear to do the run snd gun stuff….but only a few of them can really shoot accurately.

I show them what’s possible even with their equipment level. I wrote a book. I do training classes.

What can you do? Bring someone new, bring a junior….etc etc. 

keep the event short snd interesting seems to be key

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

djperry2 and Dan Webb like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:07 am

I think that quite a few years ago, that I read that there were around 36,000 active "conventional pistol' classification cards. I'd have to guess that that figure has fallen quite a bit since then.
BE Mike
BE Mike

onlylead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:34 am

Maybe the NRA/CMP can provide that information
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:46 am

I can speak for the entire USA but I do have some data from my small club. Last year we had 15-20 club members participate in leagues and matches. We probably have another 15-20 other members who have participated in the past but currently are not due to conflicting factors (medical issues, kids/grandkids, job changes). Of that 30-40 people who do or have shot bullseye, about 10% of those will shoot events outside the club if they have time availability. 

Some things to take into consideration, if you are starting from square one today the upfront costs for equipment are somewhat prohibitive, especially if you want to shoot 45. As much as shooting 22 only is a good thing for new shooters they often want to shoot a CF gun like everyone else too. As an example lets break it down:
-Reloading press set up (brand/feature dependent) ~$1-1200
-case of large primer ~$450-500 (depending on if you can find them locally or if you need to pay hazmat)
-5000 projectiles ~$1000
-1lb of bullseye ~$60 (maybe more if including hazmat, also not always available)
-Springfield Range officer in 45 ~$850-900, (add ~$200-800 for "light modifications such as trigger work, tube style dot and mount, springs, grips, ect.)
-Some sort of ruger, xsse, buckmark ~$500-1000 
-case of 22 ~$350-400
-Gun box ~$100-250 maybe more 
Roughly $4-5000 for just about everything equipment and supplies require to be "on Par" with most shooters at larger regional events. Obviously this can be done cheaper if you look for deals and done over a period of time but end of the day equipment costs are relatively high.

If you look at some of the steel type competitions, they are designed so you can literally but an off the shelf  gun, ammo that you can buy at just about any gun store and compete and be competitive (yes their are exceptions to this for "high level competitors"). 

The other conundrum is you often have to travel to shoot matches, the last match I shot was a 3 hour drive and I had to leave 0500 to get there at the starting time. 6 hours of driving, 3-4 hours of a match in a day is a long day, often a big ask for people to who would like to " relax" on the weekend. If you take into account travel costs, current market value of ammo, ect. it also is not inexpensive to shoot a match. 

People shoot this game because they enjoy it. It is not easy and it gets expensive, two significant barriers to entry. I am sure a segment of people exist that would like to compete, but in someway it is prohibitive to do so (family, job, health, travel, ect.).

With all that said, be kind to all that show up to matches and leagues. If someone doesn't fully know the rules, has issues scoring, ect, help them out. It is unfortunate that some in this game are not kind to the new commers.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Fred T, john bickar, djperry2 and Dan Webb like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:46 am

You have to be into mental self abuse to shoot NRA Precision Pistol. It's the only discipline to never to have been cleaned. How many are there with our disposition in the US? 

exclude Golfers Smile

Wes Lorenz

targetshooter_10x likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by L Valdez Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:37 am

In Montana there are less than 20.

Hopefully one day everyone stops making fun of the running and shooting competitors, they support shooting also. I have never heard them whining about their numbers declining. Disclaimer: I don't shoot that competition.

L Valdez

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz35m Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:04 pm

In Oregon we have about 55 active who shot an indoor league and about half shoot outdoors.  Washington might have a few more but I do not think it would be double.  

I would be shocked if we had more than 5000 across the US
Toz35m
Toz35m

RoyDean and targetshooter_10x like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:26 pm

We have 180 active in my regional league of 8 clubs.

There’s a lot more closer to the big cities, a lot less in the countryside.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by jareds06 Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:23 pm

chiz1180 wrote:I can speak for the entire USA but I do have some data from my small club. Last year we had 15-20 club members participate in leagues and matches. We probably have another 15-20 other members who have participated in the past but currently are not due to conflicting factors (medical issues, kids/grandkids, job changes). Of that 30-40 people who do or have shot bullseye, about 10% of those will shoot events outside the club if they have time availability. 

Some things to take into consideration, if you are starting from square one today the upfront costs for equipment are somewhat prohibitive, especially if you want to shoot 45. As much as shooting 22 only is a good thing for new shooters they often want to shoot a CF gun like everyone else too. As an example lets break it down:
-Reloading press set up (brand/feature dependent) ~$1-1200
-case of large primer ~$450-500 (depending on if you can find them locally or if you need to pay hazmat)
-5000 projectiles ~$1000
-1lb of bullseye ~$60 (maybe more if including hazmat, also not always available)
-Springfield Range officer in 45 ~$850-900, (add ~$200-800 for "light modifications such as trigger work, tube style dot and mount, springs, grips, ect.)
-Some sort of ruger, xsse, buckmark ~$500-1000 
-case of 22 ~$350-400
-Gun box ~$100-250 maybe more 
Roughly $4-5000 for just about everything equipment and supplies require to be "on Par" with most shooters at larger regional events. Obviously this can be done cheaper if you look for deals and done over a period of time but end of the day equipment costs are relatively high.

If you look at some of the steel type competitions, they are designed so you can literally but an off the shelf  gun, ammo that you can buy at just about any gun store and compete and be competitive (yes their are exceptions to this for "high level competitors"). 

The other conundrum is you often have to travel to shoot matches, the last match I shot was a 3 hour drive and I had to leave 0500 to get there at the starting time. 6 hours of driving, 3-4 hours of a match in a day is a long day, often a big ask for people to who would like to " relax" on the weekend. If you take into account travel costs, current market value of ammo, ect. it also is not inexpensive to shoot a match. 

People shoot this game because they enjoy it. It is not easy and it gets expensive, two significant barriers to entry. I am sure a segment of people exist that would like to compete, but in someway it is prohibitive to do so (family, job, health, travel, ect.).

With all that said, be kind to all that show up to matches and leagues. If someone doesn't fully know the rules, has issues scoring, ect, help them out. It is unfortunate that some in this game are not kind to the new commers.

Your point of view assumes that the 2700 is the main draw of bullseye and to really be competitive ie for a shot to *win* one needs to handload to be competitive, one needs a gun box to be competitive, obviously needs 3 guns to even compete in the main category, etc. 

I believe shooting the 2700 should not be used as the main way to entice new shooters as it is a little bit much for a brand new bullseye shooter to get into just from the standpoint of time commitment, and also in terms of cost/logistics. 

Ideally, the new bullseye shooter should start in the EIC matches, the NTI, presidents pistol match, service pistol, and the as-issued stuff all offered through the CMP; to be competitive in those matches is actually quite affordable both in terms of time and equipment/ammunition cost: you can shoot all 3 EICs in less than an afternoon whereas a 2700 is an all-day or multi day affair and you're only shooting 30-40 rounds in a match. Additionally, they *feel* more fair to the new shooter because they are only competing against the other non-distinguished shooters who also likely lack an ideal setup. They also feel very rewarding to a new shooter because there are doo-dads and badges and doohickeys at the end of it all, it has a goal to work towards that carries over from one match to another rather than the focus being to win any one 90 shot match or the whole 3 gun aggregate in their classification, and you also don't have to win the whole thing to "win" an EIC match in terms of getting points towards the badges.

With that said, I also believe a 9mm is superior for service pistol especially since there tends to be better/more accurate factory loadings of 9mm and standard 9mm guns than the run of the mill .45/1911, plus the very low cost of ammunition allows the shooter to practice more. At the very least, you can get match grade atlanta arms ammo in 9mm for the price of the worst winchester white box .45 ACP. Even still, if one wants to shoot a .45, Tisas makes a fantastically tight/accurate 1911 for $300 that I'm sure could be accurized further for not a lot of money, ie a NM bushing, if the competitor desires. I personally have one where all I did was put kensights on the standard GI dovetail/staked front sight and shot some Winchester USA Ready .45 through it, and after zeroing the sights I put 5 shots in the 10 ring of a b-16 offhand without even trying very hard. I'm sure from a ransom rest, these are  3.5"-4" guns at 50 yards with the right ammo as most auto-loaders are these days.

As far as a .22, this is where the competitor should spend a little bit more money on something nice like an old hammerli international/208/215; about a thousand bucks. But then from then on, 5,000 rounds of what I would consider to be match grade ammo, CCI Standard, is less than $400. Some of you might thumb your noses at the notion that CCI Standard is match grade ammo, but I've shot a 290-11x with CCI standard and a hammerli 208 in .22 eic practice, a score higher than what David Lange won last year's .22 EIC match at the national matches (and I have a video to prove it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqvr_saNJ3I), although I'm sure I was shooting under more ideal circumstances than at Perry

If you want to start shooting bullseye today, I don't see why someone couldn't pick up a Tisas 1911, a Beretta 92, PX 4 storm, CZ-75, Ruger MK IV, Browning Buckmark, Hammerli 208, S&w K22/Mod 17, S&W K38/Mod 14 whatever and start shooting EICs and winning points. But they're not going to be ready to shoot a 2700 from the get go and if you run a 2700 match over a weekend or something, I really suggest trying to organize some kind of EIC match and market it towards new bullseye shooters. Tell them, bring your old Beretta 92, come out and shoot it, and put them side by side with a good shooter and show them what's possible with a little practice and maybe a better set of sights, and that's how you hook them in. 

There are a lot of sports out there where you can take a factory handgun to the line, but you're going to be changing mags out of your pocket, or in the case of say run and gun revolver competitions, you might be reloading one round at a time if you lack the exorbitant match specific speedloaders, or dont have enough cheapo HKS's, because why would any normal person have more than two speedloaders; and the special holster setup, and the optics that are so popular right now etc, etc. 

Bullseye is the only sport where someone can a take a $600 S&W K38 from the early 1950s, load it with PMC Bronze 132gr FMJ, ie the cheapest .38 special on the market, and shoot a score that wins a match. I know because I just did it recently, and I won by a pretty decent margin and if I had shot the same score at the national matches last year, that score would have been in the top 10 of 200 competitors. 

And just to be clear, this is from my experience as a new bullseye shooter. I only started competing in November of last year so this is all very relevant to me. I have a box, I still don't use it and just bring an assortment of pistol cases and a locker bag with ammo/tools etc to the line. I use a terrible, terrible amazon quality scope to spot my shots on the shoddy tripod it came with. I shoot only factory guns with factory ammo (in fact i had to make one of my factory guns "worse" from the factory by raising the trigger pull by a pound) and I am achieving a level of success I simply don't think would be possible with other sports with an equivalently "lacking" setup. I say this as someone who has primarily shot high power rifle with said equivalently lacking setup.  And I love high power rifle shooting but at this point it is cost prohibitive for me to shoot to the level that I want to practice/perform at in all stages and it is much more logistically challenging BECAUSE the "service rifle" matches have become as cost prohibitive to new shooters in the sport as the 2700 has become in bullseye. I think there are probably other high power shooters who feel this way and considering high power still seems to be much more popular than bullseye, maybe the people you should seek to sway are not pistol shooters from other sports, but high power rifle shooters and PRS guys. I think the bullseye mindset has a LOT more in common with those types of shooters than the typical action matches which are more time focused where it's a given that the top level shooters are going to essentially hit/clean all the targets. 

And I haven't even shot a 2700 yet because I've already been too focused on shooting/getting DOPE on my 3 EIC guns (H208/K38/SIG P210). I plan on shooting it .22 only at Perry and the 22 only option is great and I think if a new bullseye shooter were to attend a longer/larger event, they would be much better served shooting it .22 only. This lowers cost and allows the new shooter to focus on shooting one gun very well instead of trying to chase DOPE on all 3 guns, or 2 guns. Also this will be my first year attending Perry! Which is awesome! I've always wanted to go to the NM's and this is the first year i'm able to since I dont have a job that takes me out of state in the summer.

Anyways that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
In short, try and draw new shooters toward EIC matches not 2700s.
How many Bullseye competition shooters in USA ?   20240317_142052

jareds06

jwax and msmith44 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:56 pm

I agree with almost everything said here.

Do what chiz1180 and I do.

Shoot matches. Run matches. Help run matches. Shoot matches that other people are running, even when you don't feel like it (even when people snipe at you with quips like, "What happened to your usual scores?")

Help people run their matches.

Show up. Be safe. Have fun. Run what you brung. We'll help you.

#1: SHOW UP.

We'll figure out the rest.
john bickar
john bickar

fc60, sig 99, chiz1180, Dan Webb and targetshooter_10x like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:28 pm

Jared06 brings up a point. We could attract more shooters, perhaps, by inviting some of the “run and-gun” types to EIC matches. Most every one of those has a 9mm and more than most have iron sights. In and out in an afternoon. They likely won’t win much, but they might be hooked. As an aside, at a regional USPSA they had 500 competitors. 6-8 stages, about 180 rounds in 120-150 seconds firing time. At a monthly , the local USPSA match had 120 competitors firing 6 stages. Our monthly bullseye has 4.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dieselguy624 Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:48 am

Our indoor .22 winter league had a little over 250 shooters here in central PA.

dieselguy624

chiz1180 and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:36 am

I don't really think that costs are the huge roadblock. I started with a Ruger MKI, safety glasses, ear plugs and a cheap hand held scope. I cut out some foam to use to carry the pistol. I earned the least amount in my life, as I was working part-time and going to school full-time. I was married and had one toddler. I was encouraged by a couple of other guys going to school with me. We shared rides to matches often. One match that I went to, had a playground for the kids and my wife and child tagged along. The biggest thing that keeps people away from bullseye pistol shooting, is the difficulty, appearance that it is boring, and the misconception that it is irrelevant to "real life". Another huge roadblock is that it isn't supported by the military. As the military slowly withdrew their support over decades, the sport died a little more over decades. With the number of matches declining, one needs to REALLY want to participate in the sport more than ever before. Looking back, it is NOT about the equipment and certainly there is all kinds of available free information about the sport (unlike in prior decades). It is about the people. People will encourage and help others to participate to build the sport or it will continue to fade away.
BE Mike
BE Mike

DA/SA, djperry2, Fezzik68, msmith44 and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:53 am

>>>>>

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by L Valdez Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:40 am

Anyone registering for the 2024 Bianchi Cup is automatically entered into the CMP's drawing for a Pistol and 20 bricks of .22 ammo. A person has 21 chances at winning something by just registering for that match.

The CMP has never done that for the precision pistol championships at Camp Perry.

Maybe the CMP sees precision pistol shooters are declining and has decided to focus on action pistol shooters. 

L Valdez

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:29 pm

Don’t forget the CMP has to remain relevant to society and the government at large. The US Military no longer considers Bullseye Pistol shooting as a source of recruits. If all we have are 500 middle aged competitors whereas Action pistol has 5000 shooters in their 20s, where will the military be.? The CMP also picked up the Bianchi Cup from the NRA in 2023… I’m not sure why, but there may have been some sponsorship requests involved. So that’s where the money is, but the CMP is still supporting Bullseye.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jareds06 Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:27 pm

Wobbley wrote:Don’t forget the CMP has to remain relevant to society and the government at large.  The US Military no longer considers Bullseye Pistol shooting as a source of recruits.  If all we have are 500 middle aged competitors whereas Action pistol has 5000 shooters in their 20s, where will the military be.?  The CMP also picked up the Bianchi Cup from the NRA in 2023… I’m not sure why, but there may have been some sponsorship requests involved.   So that’s where the money is, but the CMP is still supporting Bullseye.
I'm not sure where you're getting those numbers. Last years Bianchi Cup only had about 130 competitors, much less than the 400 or so at last years NTI/P100. That's probably why the CMP is trying to entice people to the event by offering a chance at a 1911, ammo etc. It seems to me like that is an underperforming event at least by attendance standards. Also, let's be real here, even if there were 500 bullseye competitors vs 5000 action pistol shooters nationwide, all of the competitive shooting sports are filled with middle aged shooters, not people in their younger 20s with little disposable income/time to be shooting matches. If you look at stuff like Smallbore, Air pistol, Air rifle, that stuff is still fairly popular with the age groups that matter in terms of getting/hooking life long shooters.

jareds06

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:49 pm

Jareds06

I do not disagree with what you are saying completely but I would like to make some counter points. 

2700s vs EICs
-You can only shoot 5 EIC matches a year per distinguished discipline and be eligible or counted for points, 2700 (or 1800s for that matter) do not have that limitation. 
- You clearly have not been to many small EIC matches(*Not a bad thing at all, just making a point) , in a small match with only a 6 point leg, you have to win  it to get the points assuming all non-distinguished shooters. 
-EICs and “fairness”. How fair would you feel in a 22 EIC match if you were to shoot next to a top shooter who did not have any points but clearly a skill advantage? All Matches have inherent unfairness against those who don’t put in the effort to improve. 
-Per your reference to David Lange I assume you are roughly in the NJ area which has a significantly higher density of shooters per land area than other parts of the county. It is an unfortunate reality that EICs are often canceled due to not enough non-distinguished shooters for a leg in many parts of the country. It doesn’t make much sense to have EICs be the gateway to entry if they often get canceled.  
- You can shoot EIC guns in the 2700s and it is often recommended to those who are in pursuit of the badge. 
-For reference, EICs are my favorite type of match. It is common for me to bring extra ammo and equipment to ensure the opportunity exists for people to shoot EICs. I 

Equipment
-The make/model of the 22 pistol is largely irrelevant so long as it functions reliably. My ruger Mk 1 is just as reliable and accurate as my 208. 
-9mm vs 45 for Service pistol is more less a wash. You get a hole size advantage with the 45, but a factory ammo availability with the 9mm.  
-Your experience of buying a $600 k38 is not necessarily universal, you seem to have got a good deal that others may be representative of the current market. I was able to buy a RO for $500, but that doesn’t mean that is the normal market price. 
-22 only is indeed a good place to start, but in my experience people often want to shoot the centerfire gun too. 
-While on the equipment cost, my listing of various items and prices is what is generally recommended to newcomers to the sport. I mentioned it in my post but I will mention it again, you can get started for less, but from the outside, initial investment appears to be significant. 

Perry

-Glad to hear you are planning to make it to the National Matches, it is a fantastic marksmanship learning experience.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:49 pm

BE Mike

Let me toss some rough math comparing Average income and average mortgage costs between 1987 and 2023. These numbers were all found from simple google searches. I chose 1987 as arguably it is considered as a good period of time in bullseye in general and the interest rates of the time are comparable to now.

Avg household income: $30,850/yr, or $2,570/month
Avg monthly mortgage payment at 7% interest: $712
Basically 27% of household income directed towards homeownership

Avg. household income: $59,384/yr or 4948/month
Avg monthly mortgage payment at 7% interest:$2,268
Basically 45% of household income is directed towards homeownership.

Basically 23% more household income is needed to own a home today in 2024 than in 1987. Also note that this ignores any inflation considerations. If you do a similar calculator for rent the result is similar. If you are in your mid 20s to mid 30s this is rather relevant to disposable income.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:05 pm

Here is the breakdown of competitors for a “Area Match”.  There are over 500 competitors.  For the Phoenix Mid Winter Classic there are 70?

[i]https://i.servimg.com/u/f26/19/14/74/76/img_0417.png[/img]
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:32 pm

chiz1180 wrote:BE Mike

Let me toss some rough math comparing Average income and average mortgage costs between 1987 and 2023. These numbers were all found from simple google searches. I chose 1987 as arguably it is considered as a good period of time in bullseye in general and the interest rates of the time are comparable to now.

Avg household income: $30,850/yr, or $2,570/month
Avg monthly mortgage payment at 7% interest: $712
Basically 27% of household income directed towards homeownership

Avg. household income: $59,384/yr or 4948/month
Avg monthly mortgage payment at 7% interest:$2,268
Basically 45% of household income is directed towards homeownership.

Basically 23% more household income is needed to own a home today in 2024 than in 1987. Also note that this ignores any inflation considerations. If you do a similar calculator for rent the result is similar. If you are in your mid 20s to mid 30s this is rather relevant to disposable income.
I don't argue your point that inflation is eating up people's income. My point is that people will spend a certain amount of money for luxuries, entertainment and recreation, be it owning a pet, drinking adult beverages, golf, bowling, fishing, movies, pickle ball, tennis, jogging, bicycling or whatever. To get into bullseye pistol shooting, one doesn't have to jump in whole hog. I expect that the average shooter starts off pretty small, if for no other reason, to make sure that he/she is going to stay with the sport. A .22 pistol, a couple of boxes of .22 ammo and eyes and ears aren't going to break most young folks. I actually gave up adult beverages and cigarettes to afford it (the health benefits were also a driving force).
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next