Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for a Coach/Mentor in VA

+12
r_zerr
willnewton
motorheadjohn
joy2shoot
dronning
carykiteboarder
Aprilian
DavidR
DonBrummer
jmdavis
Wobbley
Cd627
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Looking for a Coach/Mentor in VA - Page 2 Empty Looking for a Coach/Mentor in VA

Post by Cd627 9/19/2016, 4:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

I have done some significant training since my last post but have not seen any improvement. I am looking for an experienced coach/mentor near Hampton Roads that may be able to help me determine my shooting issues. I am, essentially, a beginner shooter that has been shooting for years and I have a ton of terrible habits. I (sort of) enjoy shooting but I'm tangibly facing the end of my time shooting if I can't turn this around. I have a limited budget but I am willing to pay based on the individual's qualifications.

Cd627

Back to top Go down

Looking for a Coach/Mentor in VA - Page 2 Empty Re: Looking for a Coach/Mentor in VA

Post by Wobbley 9/21/2016, 3:26 pm

What I will add at this point is that trying to hit the paster is causing you to focus on the target. The paster is too small to visualize even at 20 feet without looking for it. By looking for it you start to focus on the target and you focus must be on the front sight. Get a 25 yard target and place it at 10 yards. Concentrate on looking at the front sight. Even if shooting optical sights concentrate on keeping the dot aligned and let the aligned system wobble around the black. Shoot 3 x 30 shots slow fire making every shot as best as you can. See what group sizes you get.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Looking for a Coach/Mentor in VA - Page 2 Empty Re: Looking for a Coach/Mentor in VA

Post by Jack H 9/21/2016, 5:33 pm

When you train on a blank target back, hold your center area, but crank the rear sight down so your shots will be low and not appear in your area.  Still the group quality is your goal.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 9/21/2016, 6:09 pm

Jack H wrote:When you train on a blank target back, hold your center area, but crank the rear sight down so your shots will be low and not appear in your area.  Still the group quality is your goal.
Good Advice!
I've seen too many shooters (mostly young Marines) training with blank target too close. They have a tendency of trying to aim at bullet holes which defeats the purpose of the drill.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Cd627 9/21/2016, 7:57 pm

Thanks to all for the advice, no snarkiness was intended to anyone. I wouldn't have posted if I wasn't willing to learn. All of your time is appreciated. I will try the blank target at 7 yards.

Cd627

Back to top Go down

Post by SMBeyer 9/21/2016, 8:02 pm

The problem I see with shooting at a 1" dot is you are no longer area aiming.  At 25yds and really even 50yds the 10 ring is relatively large black is huge.  Area aiming is just as it sounds you aim at the area in the relative center and squeeze the trigger.  You do this and good things will happen.  Trying (expecting?) to keep everything in a 1" dot even at 20' feet is like expecting to shoot a 2700 -270X.  It aint gonna happen!  Lighten up, don't expect way more than you are capable of, and don't be so hard on yourself it will only poison your chance of improvement.  And get out there and shoot matches and leagues.  You will improve faster shooting around others than you will on your own.  You will pick up something every night you shoot a league.  Watch, listen, pay attention to others.  You don't even have to ask for advice and you'll pick up things to help you.

From my point of view it doesn't look like your willing to listen to a lot of good advice given here until somebody tells you whatever it is you want to hear.  If this is the case your going to be very hard to coach.  Not trying to be an ass just telling you how I see it.

Just saw your last post.  If your wanting to learn take the advice and go with it.  It may not click but what are you out?

Scott
SMBeyer
SMBeyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 9/21/2016, 8:19 pm

I've been following this post and have seen some good recommendations. My recommendation to you is find a master-level shooter who is willing to coach you whether online or in person or both. They made it to master for a reason. And then stick with your coach through the good and the bad because it takes a while for the light bulb to go off for some of the applications of the fundamentals when shooting bullseye. If you get advice from one person you can dialogue and perfect it, it's too difficult to get advice from too many people because it's going to spread you thin. I have people that I coach online and in person; it's a lot of work for both of us, but it helps me get a better understanding of the fundamentals and helps them learn them at the same time.
Get the best coach you can afford :p)   That's a joke 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 10/2/2016, 12:28 pm

CD627,
just curious if you have gained insight from using the several practice methods people recommended?

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by Cd627 10/2/2016, 8:23 pm

Haven't shot much, busy at work and just moved to a new schedule. I'll hopefully have a new place to shoot in the near future though.

Cd627

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2